Bike Check: James Reid's Olympic Specialized S-Works Epic

Nick

Agreed, I would love to have one and fiddle but cannot justify the price tag and maintenance that comes with it...

Yeah man. Same reason I use strava. I'm a bit of a data whore sometimes

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What I`m saying is that for that complicated soup, simplicity is better. The Spaz frame is not as simple as it could be. I say there is a scientific difference, I`m not saying its going to make the difference between winning and losing for 2 different riders.

No, that's not what you're saying. You're saying that one design is intrinsically better than all others, due to 2 very specific reasons - Solid rear triangle & shock position.

What I'm saying is that you cannot say that. It's not that simple.

There may be a demonstrable difference in the stiffness characteristics between the Silverback and, say, a Spaz, due to the solid rear triangle and how it's constructed, but in that solid rear triangle they have (relying on the seatstays to flex during shock compression) they're giving up a bit of sensitivity in the suspension stroke. Something that is important for both ascending technical climbs as well as descending. Incidentally, this design is more or less the same as Giant's STANCE - their BUDGET Trail bike. 

If simplicity were the answer to everything, we'd all be riding Oranges or Santa Cruz Butchers. Ultimate simplicity, single pivots with no fuss. Just relying on pivot positioning to get the desired suspension performance.

But it's not. The EVIL line of bikes, for all their complication (despite being a single pivot bike) are hailed as one of the best performing bikes on the market. Then the SB5c and SB6c (yeti) also hold the same praise, but perform in a different way to the Evil. 2 very different suspension designs, yet both cream of the crop. Then you have the Spaz enduro - the game changer of the last 4 years, largely hailed as the single bike that changed what a niner could be, and remains one of the stalwarts of the enduro bike field.

You're going to have to bring a lot of data to this fight in order to convince us that the SB design is better than anything else - and that's what you're claiming. 

If this was really the case, why would they have their best candidate (JK) for a win on the heavier option? 

it is really the case, sid is a lot lighter

When it comes to my taste in bikes, I like it all to be matchy matchy...

The paint job is awesome, the bubblegum blue is classic, change the saddle and grips to black and stealth decals, you will have a looker.

Good luck James!