Flat tire fear

Monique1992

Good morning all!

I haven't been riding in the winter months. I want to start riding again with the warmer weather coming up, but I am worried about a flat tire because my bike has been standing so long. I have tires with tubes and sealant that I haven't replaced since January. I ride alone and I don't want to be stuck at the side of the road, very far from home with a flat tire and no idea how to fix the problem. I am female so that just makes safety and issue. Do you have any advice?

Hard one to answer, how long is a piece of string?Are they flat now?Why dont you just pump them up, go around the block a couple of times and see if they deflate when you get back....before you go on a long ride

Thats the best i have

Hard one to answer, how long is a piece of string?Are they flat now?Why dont you just pump them up, go around the block a couple of times and see if they deflate when you get back....before you go on a long ride

Thats the best i have

Snap

Convert to tubeless and ask someone to show you how to plug a tyre and use a co2 bomb.

Sorry assumed it is a mountain bike. If a road bike learn to change a tube. With a bit of practice it can be done in under 2 minutes.

Edited by PeterF

I have had sealant wrecking a tube, but it was a latex tube inside a tubular tire. With a normal rubber tube, I haven't had the sealant wreck the tube, however, it does dry out.

It may be a good idea to take the tube out and check the sealant, you should be able to feel how much liquid is in the tire when it is flat. If it feels like it needs more, then add some more.

The problem with sealant / slim is that although its effective - sometimes it can fail.

I had a full glass cut once, where the glass went into the tyre - the sealant erupted out like a volcano. 

I had to remove the tyre, take the glass out and use a tube.

My advice would be to find an experienced cyclist who can help you learn how to change a tube.

Youtube videos are also great for learning how to repair a flat.

If you are cycling far from home. Also - try cycle with someone if you can.

What KingTJ said. Also is this a MTB or road bike. If MTB change to tubeless. If a Road bike then follow Kingtj's advice and if it goes flat change the tubes in both tyres.

It's a mountain bike, but I don't have the funds right this minute to buy 2 tubeless tires. Thank you for you advice everyone!

PS: MTBeer, no need to be sarcastic, some people aren't experts like you, or are you just a smartass with an ego?

It's a mountain bike, but I don't have the funds right this minute to buy 2 tubeless tires. Thank you for you advice everyone!

PS: MTBeer, no need to be sarcastic, some people aren't experts like you, or are you just a smartass with an ego?

the latter

Good morning all!

I haven't been riding in the winter months. I want to start riding again with the warmer weather coming up, but I am worried about a flat tire because my bike has been standing so long. I have tires with tubes and sealant that I haven't replaced since January. I ride alone and I don't want to be stuck at the side of the road, very far from home with a flat tire and no idea how to fix the problem. I am female so that just makes safety and issue. Do you have any advice?

My MTB gets ridden 2 - 3 times a year (tubeless) .. then stands for 11 months.  I simply pump tyres (if they flat) and go ride again. tyres now about 4 years old.

There is no reason why your tubes will deteriorate in such short time.  I bought a bike other day about 15 year old tyres.. still 100% fine, road it for months waiting for new ones.

L:

PS: make sure you have uber/taxi number on you to get lift out there asap if you get brakedown :)

Edited by Karman de Lange

You really must try to find a small group to ride with. Purely from a safety point of view. I know, I know, it is difficult and I like riding alone too, but in this day and age, there is safety in numbers. But learn to fix a puncture anyway.

First answer is probably the best, just be cautious and do a short trip or 2 see if the tubes hold out. If they are not flat now they shouldn't be a problem. If you have gel in them it might have dried out and it would be best to have it checked out and refilled if necessary. If you are just worried about the tube condition just replace them and use the old ones for linings which give you a double rubber layer for protection against thorns etc. Happy riding

My wife had the same fear, not changing a tyre.

Several things happened and I can suggest them to you.

Spend a bit of money and buy spare tubes. Then while sitting in the comfort of your garage at home, try and take a tyre off and put in a new tube and pump it up (if you use C02, learn how to use that as well). Do it several times till you feel comfortable doing it. If your LBS will let you use the bike shop you should also do it in the shop so they can show you what to do if you get stuck (they key here is dont let them help you with anything, just give advice, you need to do the work)

The go for a ride up the road, say 200metres. Perform the same task on the road side, but without the comfort of a garage/lbs, but you can still walk home it you cant get it right.

Next, get a decent tracker system on your phone so people will know where you are. Message someone immediately something happens and then message again when you are back on the road.

I can highly recommend this app, it is accurate and does not consume much battery

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ru.kidcontrol.gpstracker&hl=en

EDIT: the biggest problem she had was the finger strength to remove the tyre off the rim, even with tyre levers. The hand pump just took some time as she did not want to use a CO2 device as she was worried she would over inflate the tube. Also they did not come in pink :blush: ;)

Good morning all!

My bike stands still for a period of two to four months at a time due to my work commitments, never had a problem with flat tires. GMBN's YouTube channel should have a video on changing a tyre but nothing beats actual practice. If you can always have a repair kit and a spare tube as sometimes a puncture can be hard to find. Also a floor pump is handy to have at home.

Remember to take some of the comments with a bit of salt, ok a large dose of salt.

Sent from my GT-S6790 using Tapatalk

My suggestion would be to get someone to teach you how to change a tube and how to patch a tube. Then carry whatever spares you need when you go ride alone. You don't want to find yourself stuck and helpless in the middle of nowhere. 

If you're not going to go tubeless, then use slime tubes. You tend to puncture less that way