Certainly we should be able to vote online via a secure portal using your ID/PPA member # etc. 

this will certainly help all of us that travel often for work and those that have family commitments. Seeing that we are paid up members we should all have a voice be it online or present at the AGM but as long as everyone votes the numbers will add up and it will show in the results!! 

200 out of 15000 is pathetic, maybe the location of canal walk is a issue for many?

what's the geographical distribution of members? no use having majority of members sitting in one area and placing a AGM in another.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would MTB'er join PPA ?  (genuine question)

After being a member for 4 years running now this year is my first i have not renewed. And its because i have given up road cycling for good now.

Certainly we should be able to vote online via a secure portal using your ID/PPA member # etc. 

this will certainly help all of us that travel often for work and those that have family commitments. Seeing that we are paid up members we should all have a voice be it online or present at the AGM but as long as everyone votes the numbers will add up and it will show in the results!! 

200 out of 15000 is pathetic, maybe the location of canal walk is a issue for many?

what's the geographical distribution of members? no use having majority of members sitting in one area and placing a AGM in another.

When they bash you with the million questionaires when you hand over your money each year they could do it online. If online is secure enough for taking your money its secure enough for taking a survey.

PPA member participation in events in 2015

Road events 14,582

MTB events 5,944

This is unique members participating in timed events. Members who ride both road and MTB will be counted once in each event.

The spend is a bit of a secret as it's allocated as projects.

Revenue is much simpler to discuss.

In the last financial year that figures are disclosed (2015 AFS) the revenue was:

Cape Town Cycle Tour R7,257,443

Membership Fee R3,889,914

Based on the member ratios it's probably safe to say 70% of membership fees and 100% of Cycle Tour income comes from road events.

From those same AFS their operating expenses were about R6million split between projects as you discussed, the biggest one being the awareness. R2.5 million. 

Can you shed some light on the PPA investment trust, I see there is a very proud zero on the balance sheet under investment, yet a trust that 100% vests to PPA that has R17 million in funds. Lifting the corporate veil, I would call that a R17 million investment. Calling a spade a spade and all.

I'm not (currently) a PPA member, have let it lapse about 3 times now! BUT only having 200 people out of 15000 at an agm sounds pretty bad, but in this day and age 200 people is quite a bit and is in my mind enough people if they all are there for the good of the organisation. rather that than 1000, of which 800 are just there for the beer and will vote for the guy with the funniest sounding name.

PPA member participation in events in 2015

Road events 14,582

MTB events 5,944

This is unique members participating in timed events. Members who ride both road and MTB will be counted once in each event.

In the last financial year that figures are disclosed (2015 AFS) the revenue was:

Cape Town Cycle Tour R7,257,443

Membership Fee R3,889,914

Based on the member ratios it's probably safe to say 70% of membership fees and 100% of Cycle Tour income comes from road events.

is the argus counted as a road event, or is this numbers outside of the argus? Because i think you'll find many riders will do the argus as their only road event, but would identify themselves as a mtber (especially since you are essentially channeled to PA signup on the cycletour website on entry). I'm not saying you're wrong, but they should really know a lot more about the makeup of road, mtb and both.

I'm not (currently) a PPA member, have let it lapse about 3 times now! BUT only having 200 people out of 15000 at an agm sounds pretty bad, but in this day and age 200 people is quite a bit and is in my mind enough people if they all are there for the good of the organisation. rather that than 1000, of which 800 are just there for the beer and will vote for the guy with the funniest sounding name.

is the argus counted as a road event, or is this numbers outside of the argus? Because i think you'll find many riders will do the argus as their only road event, but would identify themselves as a mtber (especially since you are essentially channeled to PA signup on the cycletour website on entry). I'm not saying you're wrong, but they should really know a lot more about the makeup of road, mtb and both.

If every MTB did the Argus, and was included, there are still 9000 more roadies than MTB'ers using PPA events.

If every MTB did the Argus, and was included, there are still 9000 more roadies than MTB'ers using PPA events.

My numbers are for ALL timed events, not just PPA events, on a national basis.

There were approximately 58,000 unique road riders and 15,000 unique mountain bikers in SA in 2015. If you rode a road event and a mountain event you will be in each number.

By extraction a maximum of 14,582 PPA members rode in the World Champs.

I agree that those who went to the trouble to show up at the AGM and vote for their candidates are those who get what they wanted. Those who stayed away and didn't bother, certainly got the democratic outcome they deserved. Democracy rules! I think 200 bodies for an AGM is about par for the course in this day and age where participation in physical clubs and associations are declining. I am part of 3 other sporting association also, and the numbers showing up to be involved seems to be slowly dwindling. At the same time new ways of interacting online is growing. Perhaps it is time to consider online voting as someone suggested earlier?

What I disagree with is the distinction / separation between road and mtb cycling. We are CYCLISTS, finish and klaar! Whether we weekend warriors, pros, racers, slowpokes, ride a skinny roadie, a mtb, fat bike, tandem, BMX, trials bike, penny farthing, tandem, downhill sled, XCO, just collect bikes, commute, or play bike polo!

Creating divisions will do nobody any good. We should stand together.

(I ride road and MTB about equally and see the same great people on both sides. Yes, and the same couple of twits too!)

I agree that those who went to the trouble to show up at the AGM and vote for their candidates are those who get what they wanted. Those who stayed away and didn't bother, certainly got the democratic outcome they deserved. Democracy rules! I think 200 bodies for an AGM is about par for the course in this day and age where participation in physical clubs and associations are declining. I am part of 3 other sporting association also, and the numbers showing up to be involved seems to be slowly dwindling. At the same time new ways of interacting online is growing. Perhaps it is time to consider online voting as someone suggested earlier?

But how will we, as the body of members, get to know the candidates when they present their cycling background, history, credentials, expertise, what value they can add to the PPA, etc.

Otherwise we end up with a list of names that most of us never heard of :w00t:

What I disagree with is the distinction / separation between road and mtb cycling. We are CYCLISTS, finish and klaar! Whether we weekend warriors, pros, racers, slowpokes, ride a skinny roadie, a mtb, fat bike, tandem, BMX, trials bike, penny farthing, tandem, downhill sled, XCO, just collect bikes, commute, or play bike polo!

Creating divisions will do nobody any good. We should stand together.

(I ride road and MTB about equally and see the same great people on both sides. Yes, and the same couple of twits too!)

I prefer to be called a ****, not a twit. :P

post-11806-0-54446400-1471598820_thumb.jpg

I think roadies just want a calendar like 99-00 with the might of the PPA... its not that much to ask.
post-11806-0-12749100-1471598769_thumb.jpg

PPA is in a much better financial space now, but involved with much less road events.

** snip snip

PPA is in a much better financial space now, but involved with much less road events.

There's your answer. Financially its better for them not to get involved in road events. 

There's your answer. Financially its better for them not to get involved in road events. 

I would swallow that pill if their dosh did not come from road events...

I'm more concerned with the possibility that members of the PPA Exco don't have the requisite post count on the Hub...can they be trusted?

I would swallow that pill if their dosh did not come from road events...

I wouldnt swallow that pill at all.

Is their sole drive a financial one? What about cycling? Isnt that what it is all about?

Archived