Riding at Suikerbosrand?

Matuka

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have done quite a few laps there lately. I am convinced there are much less animals than before. Anything to do with the Vets Trucks that were there a lot last year?

Would be a terrible disappointment if someone is plundering this gem. There was rumours about, some time ago, that the local Department of Agriculture and Conservation was contemplating scrapping its status as a Nature Reserve.

Lets hope that the fact that you are seeing less animals than usual is due to the higher vegetation, and / or, the antelope migrating to the lower, predominantly sweeter veld during the summer rainfall period.

• 7 months later...

Is Suikerbosrand still open?

Am seeing the Missus' family in Alberton for a long weekend and thought this patch of reserve might be good enough to bring my Cyclocross bike.

Or are the trails / tracks quite gnarly? 

Dankie. 

SBR still open; I go there every Sunday.

I only ride on the road but the surfaces are good, with 3 proper climbs. Watch for the crosswinds.

Is Suikerbosrand still open?

Am seeing the Missus' family in Alberton for a long weekend and thought this patch of reserve might be good enough to bring my Cyclocross bike.

Or are the trails / tracks quite gnarly? 

Dankie. 

Bring a normal Road bike.

I have not ridden here for a few years and it was pre-Strava

Will someone remind me of the distance and ascent for a lap?

I have not ridden here for a few years and it was pre-Strava

Will someone remind me of the distance and ascent for a lap?

+- 57km with 1100m

You can also ride the short loop, which is approx. 10 kilometres and 280m of elevation. I prefer it, when riding solo. Also, that downhill section after the first climb is a great place to work on technical descending skills. Lots of fun. I do the short loop 5 times.

Edited by riteshm

Thats actually a bloody good idea and you get two decent climbs and you close to your car should you be at near death on the bike lol

You can also ride the short loop, which is approx. 10 kilometres and 280m of elevation. I prefer it, when riding solo. Also, that downhill section after the first climb is a great place to work on technical descending skills. Lots of fun. I do the short loop 5 times.

Just wondering is it ok to ride the route the 'wrong' way round?

Saw a lady and gent doing that on Saturday and just thought it could be quite dangerous as most riders assume they can use the full road in the normal direction ....

Just wondering is it ok to ride the route the 'wrong' way round?

Saw a lady and gent doing that on Saturday and just thought it could be quite dangerous as most riders assume they can use the full road in the normal direction ....

def not ok. 

people will get hurt

def not ok. 

people will get hurt

Definitely not but some people ride down the first hill after completing the big climb; they cant continue hence I always expect people descending the first climb from 09H45 onwards.

Definitely not but some people ride down the first hill after completing the big climb; they cant continue hence I always expect people descending the first climb from 09H45 onwards.

I have seen that too and once did it myself after a riding partner had a mechanical.

We rode down at little more than walking pace where the riding was blind and only just faster when the road was clear.

I have however seen folk bomb down and that is just irresponsible.