SARS & eFiling - What gives?!

Johan A Marais

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

eventually got our IRP5's from the office last week and Thursday just to be told on Friday morning that we can't use it as there was a mistake that has to be sorted out first .....FFS!

at least we can calculate our rebates and things look promising :P

Any one having issues with the save option.

I fill in all the necessary info, hit save, but when I go back nothing has been saved at all.

Apologies if this has been brought up before. I'm too lazy to go through everything.

eventually got our IRP5's from the office last week and Thursday just to be told on Friday morning that we can't use it as there was a mistake that has to be sorted out first .....FFS!

at least we can calculate our rebates and things look promising :P

SARS is SLOW with those types of updates.

My employer made changes and lodged them and it took SARS a week to reflect the changes.

Also, depending on the errors, you can't fill out and do calculations as the sections filled in on the IRP5 open up the other fields of the form. i.e: my travel allowance was bundled in with my salary so IRP5 reflects no travel allowance therefore that part of the form was blanked out. Can't claim for what you don't receive. Very clever.......

Edited by Steven Knoetze (sk27)

SARS is SLOW with those types of updates.

My employer made changes and lodged them and it took SARS a week to reflect the changes.

Also, depending on the errors, you can't fill out and do calculations as the sections filled in on the IRP5 open up the other fields of the form. i.e: my travel allowance was bundled in with my salary so IRP5 reflects no travel allowance therefore that part of the form was blanked out. Can't claim for what you don't receive. Very clever.......

Is SARS finished with your audit yet?

Is SARS finished with your audit yet?

Nothing yet.

My documents were acknowledged on the 8th July so 21 working days puts me at 13th August only.

The 21 days is worst case but they generally stick to that:(

SARS acknowledged receipt of the documents on the 3 July.

So 14 work days, that's good news and ties up with an earlier post where it took less than 10 days. Seems they are beating their targets. Hoping I get mine this month still, today is the 7th work day.......

Edited by Steven Knoetze (sk27)

So 14 work days, that's good news and ties up with an earlier post where it took less than 10 days. Seems they are beating their targets. Hoping I get mine this month still, today is the 7th work day.......

Mine was also flagged for audit on 3 July, nothing yet.

But then I dont know how long it took my tax consultant to send in the supporting docs after it was flagged.

Really hoping I get paid out before month end. I did not have a good June so salary for July is really low. Need those extra funds.

Nothing yet.

My documents were acknowledged on the 8th July so 21 working days puts me at 13th August only.

The 21 days is worst case but they generally stick to that:(

That is one of our biggest complaints that we have in the industry. SARS never sticks to their own time lines and often exceeds the 21 days, but the majority is within 21 days.

As soon as the auditor reviews and finalises the audit, the refund will go through for payment. They don't hold it back for 21 days to expire. Most of the time, payment runs go through nightly. Refunds over a certain amount may need a second approval, in which case it will take a bit longer to hit the payment run. 

SARS also selects certain audits for quality control, meaning a second person must look at it. This can also delay the process.

I am still waiting on my 2018 refund

Got around 30% of amount I was due to get

Dispute lodged and got a further 10% in January

Another dispute...and the time lines have expired and still nothing.

Been escalated now,,,another 21 days timeline  :thumbdown:

Edited by Escapee..

Can anyone offer advice on this question?

My wife works as a teacher and her salary is well below the R500k threshold (teacher, of course). Her tax gets deducted and IRP5 has been issued, and theoretically she doen't need to submit a return.

However, this year she took out a hospital plan (no medical via the school) and it's cost her about R15k in premiums. The payments are direct and don't appear on the IRP5.

The question: assuming the school deducted correctly, is it worth submitting a claim via efiling for the medical expenses?

Edited by Lotus