I'm not new to cycling (have been commuting to work by bike pretty much every weekday for the last 4 years) but am fairly new to racing and very new to riding with a power meter. I don't really train during the week besides my commute (15km each way) but often do a 3 or 4 hr ride on the weekend. This week somebody suggested I get coaching, which was what made this thread catch my eye but the thing I always wonder is how much can you really gain by putting in so much more effort (law of diminishing returns). Would be nice to be a real contender for a race, but at the same time, would hate for riding a bike to become a chore. What if the coach told me I had to cut down on lemon creams? :P

Cutting down on lemon creams....unthinkable!!

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are serious about the commitment and actually follow the prescribed training given correctly, submit data on time and have a test performed (at your cost) before hand, I will be open to your 1k per 5% deal depending on a meeting and seeing where and what. money would need to be held in a separate party for when or if payment needs to be made.

Note that a correct time frame for a re-test will beed to be made to allow for adequate training and adaptation so both benefit. We can even put your test, training and relevant data on here for all to see so there is no hiding.

Mr Wakefield,

Your word is all I need, payments will be made directly into S2S account no need for separate party.

As far as putting everything out for everyone to see :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  recon it would be good publicity for S2S so yes, can happen. :thumbup:

Easy on Stricker, cycling enthusiasts

He's quirky and yet very interested in achieving gains, I sense. He even admitted to low levels of trolling ????

His statement above to the challenge / invitation

Respect ????????????????

Edited by 'Dale

Good discussion here.

I too have recently started looking into coaching, but alas have not found a coach that I trust will take my cycling to another level. I wish I had the opportunity to train with a pro cycling team for 6-8weeks and have full exposure to all their specific training programs. However, working 40hours a week and some weekends, kinda makes it futile. Trying to be competitive in a race while carrying the responsibilities of work and family life is crazy, yet many of us get it right. So perhaps we are the ones who need cycle life coaches to help us stay on top of our game, without popping. Where one would find that coach? Who knows!

Science2Sport changed the way I ride. Went from being semi-kind-of-competitive to competitive in a year and have even won a race as a result. First 6months I got my first two podiums. Went through a little plateau as I adjusted to the plan - a lot of going slow to go fast kind of stuff mixed with HIIT. This year has been phenomenal with a win, a second and three podiums in MTB discipline. You need to follow the plan religiously to see the benefits, which to me, means riding even if it's raining, storming or baking outside. Over time you develop a friendship with your coach and the one-on-one type of relationship the S2S coaches give their athletes is what keeps them satisfied and hungry for greater success. Commitment is the clincher here and if you can do this, the rest will follow.

Edited by Aaron_B

Mr Wakefield,

Your word is all I need, payments will be made directly into S2S account no need for separate party.

As far as putting everything out for everyone to see :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  recon it would be good publicity for S2S so yes, can happen. :thumbup:

Nice one!  

All the best for the coaching sessions.

I also just started with a coach, too late for this season of races but I needed guidance. I was just riding and building up mileage with some intervals every few days.

Far from being a racing snake, but have the available hours to put in some good work so gave it a shot. Started with a 2 week taper plan for the Shova and we will start working properly for the 947.

I went for the basic plan, and have my workouts tailored onto TP, get a weekly follow up call and the guy is available whenever I have questions. Plan to use it for minimum 6 months and see how I progress. the basic plan doesn't cost an arm&leg so not phased about it.

After spending many thousands on bikes and gear and being competitive with myself, it makes perfect sense to have someone coach me to get better.

Edited by Veeez

Good discussion here. I too have recently started looking into coaching, but alas have not found a coach that I trust will take my cycling to another level. I wish I had the opportunity to train with a pro cycling team for 6-8weeks and have full exposure to all their specific training programs. However, working 40hours a week and some weekends, kinda makes it futile. Trying to be competitive in a race while carrying the responsibilities of work and family life is crazy, yet many of us get it right. So perhaps we are the ones who need cycle life coaches to help us stay on top of our game, without popping. Where one would find that coach? Who knows!

From what I have seen there are some (J Wakefield included) that's involvement does go beyond just what you do on the bike ......

Very interesting thread. I am a coach in another sport, and followed a very serious 4.5 to 6 hours a day when I was young (before fire was discovered). I started cycling 6/7 years ago and lost a ton of weight I had picked up, but didn't train properly and got a bit better, except for technical skills, which remain appalling even after lessons. But since breaking my pelvis last Dec, I have been implementing a 'proper' regimen of what I would consider High Intensity stuff just using a HR monitor like we did back in the day. Up to 2 hours, 3x per week. Last Tuesday I set a long (45min) KOM that 6 months ago I would have thought totally impossible. I have no interest in being competitive, except in my own head, and I am far too old and heavy to beat the laaities and the lighties... But Stricker, if you are serious and you do things consistently and properly, you can do quite interesting things. And you don't even need Epol and other suspicious nutrition.

Edited by Thor Buttox

First of all, would like to apologies to anyone I offended during this discussion was never my intention  :thumbup:

So what would you guys like to see, if anything? Regarding test done /results, stress scores ?

I would understand if nothing was the answer :thumbup: 

First of all, would like to apologies to anyone I offended during this discussion was never my intention :thumbup:

So what would you guys like to see, if anything? Regarding test done /results, stress scores ?

This is now a public matter

No need for an apology - you were being humorous I imagine

Go get those gains, PRO ????

I have to admit, you bring good and relevant questions to the hub table, stricker [emoji106]

Sometimes I lose my sense of humour which says more about me than you.

you were being humorous I imagine

Almost spilled coffee on the keyboard...  :clap:

You have a very diplomatic way of stating things dale  :thumbup:

First of all, would like to apologies to anyone I offended during this discussion was never my intention  :thumbup:

you can show us your trophy and podium pic when you get it next year

Almost spilled coffee on the keyboard... :clap:

You have a very diplomatic way of stating things dale :thumbup:

Ag ja, I roll with respect and advanced empathy first hey

The internet is such a massive filter between peoples ????

We can't always really get people through the keyboard and screen hey

Edited by 'Dale

Ag ja, I roll with respect and advanced empathy first hey

The internet is such a massive filter between peoples ????

We can't always really get people through the keyboard and screen hey

What is advanced empathy, Dale? Is that feeling sorry for Gen when Peter is far away?