Bonus

This reminds me of a Moto GP incident a year or so back. Rossi "kicked" a young Spanish rider off his bike. It's the nature of the beast, rather disappointing to see Sagan removed completely.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Protest to Result of Stage 4 of the Tour de France 2017.

The UCI World Champion Peter Sagan was disqualified today, according to article 12.1.040/ 10.2.2. (irregular sprint) in the result/communiqué. The team disagrees with the decision and protested it officially.

Peter Sagan rejected to have caused, or in any way intended to cause the crash of Mark Cavendish on the final 200m of the stage. Peter stayed on his line in the sprint and could not see Cavendish on the right side.

The team applied for a redress of Peter Sagan's result in stage 4.

“In the sprint I didn’t know that Mark Cavendish was behind me. He was coming from the right side, and I was trying to go on Kristoff’s wheel. Mark was coming really fast from the back and I just didn’t have time to react and to go left. He came into me and he went into the fence. When I was told after the finish that Mark had crashed, I went straight away to find out how he was doing. We are friends and colleagues in the peloton and crashes like that are never nice. I hope Mark recovers soon.” – Peter Sagan, UCI World Champion

If Piet Pompies did this to Sagan, and were DQ, would some people have said '' good decision, he deserves it'' ? Just wondering... :rolleyes:

Well when you sponsors something, it buys you a certain level of erm "loyalty" just like the Guptas and BLF....

*confused* you mean Bora admitted the new Sagan cooktop but not that they knew he cocked up?

I don't think he was DQd just because of the Cav incident. Greipel's team also complained to the commissaire about an elbow incident on the intermediate sprint.

Maybe 2 incidents on the same day was the issue, and they decided to make a powerful example to future elbowers.

Good in theory, I suppose. Still think he was in the wrong but if Griepel has recanted they should go back to the 50pts. Eish, what a mess. And I was just saying the other day Griepel had gotten into my good books. What next? Someone running up Planche de Belle Filles?

Picture is worth a thousand words.

a3b3501815a8e9e9c15da90e5ab1e642.jpg

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

That pic is out of context. Watch the video

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

From this it is clear Sagan drifted across and closed Cavendish's space down. He didn't even flinch when pushing Cavendish into the barriers....

WATCH: Mark Cavendish's horrific crash at TDF

http://www.sport24.co.za/OtherSport/TourdeFrance/watch-mark-cavendishs-horrific-crash-at-tdf-20170704?

shared via @Sport24news

So in this video you can see Cavendish leaning against Sagan first, which in the other picture you said is out of context it is also evident. I'm not saying Sagan pushing him into the barriers was fine in anyway, but given the speed that this happened at its quite conceivable that Sagan didn't reasonably know what the consequences of his actions were going to be.

If I was in that situation, as impossible as that is, and someone was leaning against me, I would do what I can to keep myself upright. Survival instincts always win out.

So in this video you can see Cavendish leaning against Sagan first, which in the other picture you said is out of context it is also evident. I'm not saying Sagan pushing him into the barriers was fine in anyway, but given the speed that this happened at its quite conceivable that Sagan didn't reasonably know what the consequences of his actions were going to be.

If I was in that situation, as impossible as that is, and someone was leaning against me, I would do what I can to keep myself upright. Survival instincts always win out.

I am seeing it as Sagan drifting INTO Cavendish. There was enough space for Cavendish to follow Demare. Cavendish "leaned" into Sagan because he couldn't actually lean on the barriers.

Old news now

There are so many opinions and photos and videos around. Just sharing my 1c...

I am seeing it as Sagan drifting INTO Cavendish. There was enough space for Cavendish to follow Demare. Cavendish "leaned" into Sagan because he couldn't actually lean on the barriers.

Still a bit harsh to DQ someone for drifting and cutting people off, granted this ended up in another rider having to drop out, elbow or not, Cav would probably have fallen anyway.

I understand making an example out of someone, but will this really change anything? Doubtful, next sprint stage will still see people veering across the road, cutting people off, sneakier elbows.

It's possible that the race jury will review their decision with newer evidence

They can do whatever they want as they're in charge

Chances are slim, but possible ????

Aldag on Cycling News: 

"About the incident: Crashes happen and that is part of cycling. Who's fault was that today? Peter? Cav? Both? Probably a fair share from all involved, and that includes more than Mark and Peter. But what I just can't understand is Peters elbow out there," wrote Aldag. "Peter is well deserved World Champion and has to be a role model for the sport. Do we want to see these accidents more often as it becomes normal behavior, or do we want to see it in the Junior or Kids races? I don’t think so, but how do we explain that this isn't the way to do it if the best riders in the world do it? That’s why I think that there had to be consequences today."

Archived