Commuting Backpacks

Caerus

Hi All,

I've tried doing a bit of research within the forums, but there doesn't appear to be an up to date thread regarding back packs for commuting.

I've also done research online, but most of the backpacks are not available locally.

The two that I have found that look like the best options are the Osprey @ R 2199 (32l) & Thule - R 2300 ( 27l/ 32l)

Osprey.pdf

Thule.pdf

My question are,

1. What other options/ brands can people recommend if I need to carry clothes in every day. 
  2. 32l or 27l?

Kind Regards

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use this one.

Its great, think it looks pretty much the same as the one in your post.

http://my-live-02.slatic.net/p/thule-cross-over-25l-laptop-backpack-blue-tcbp-317-5424-253628-1-catalog_233.jpg

I use this one.

Its great, think it looks pretty much the same as the one in your post.

http://my-live-02.slatic.net/p/thule-cross-over-25l-laptop-backpack-blue-tcbp-317-5424-253628-1-catalog_233.jpg

Do you know how many litres that pack is?

I also need to carry my 15" laptop.

First Ascend have one called cadence, which is absolute rubbish. Not enough room for an extra pair of shoes (which is a huge problem if you are using clipless pedals). I would say in my experience the following are important factors.

1. Waterproof

2. Size

3. Comfort

With all things considered I would say the Thule is the clear winner (and also my current choice) also did a fair bit of research before I made a decision, after all 2.5k for a backpack is not exactly cheap.

First Ascend have one called cadence, which is absolute rubbish. Not enough room for an extra pair of shoes (which is a huge problem if you are using clipless pedals). I would say in my experience the following are important factors.

1. Waterproof - Is the Thule waterproof? The Osprey comes with an waterproof cover

2. Size - Not sure - Seems 27l is the most common size - What are you using?

3. Comfort - Thule felt comfy. Osprey has the mesh (similar to hiking backpack) which also felt comfy 

With all things considered I would say the Thule is the clear winner (and also my current choice) also did a fair bit of research before I made a decision, after all 2.5k for a backpack is not exactly cheap.

1. Waterproof - Is the Thule waterproof? The Osprey comes with an waterproof cover

2. Size - Not sure - Seems 27l is the most common size - What are you using?

3. Comfort - Thule felt comfy. Osprey has the mesh (similar to hiking backpack) which also felt comfy 

I have an older version of the Osprey Momentum which has been brilliant. I commuted with it for several years in london through rain, hail, snow etc, several overseas trips and one 5 month backpacking session through south america. I still use it today in the western cape for commuting, every day as well. My laptop fits into it nicely and it can be converted into a "briefcase" as well by hiding the straps away in a purpose built compartment. They've thought of everything; waterproofing, a zipline for keys, a whistle, a little elasticated holder for you bike helmet - most of which is hardly noticeable.  

A few months ago the one zip failed (which is understandable after 7 years of daily abuse), but the osprey agents in cape town fixed it without any issue, even though I couldn't find the receipt and bought it in another country. So in short, I'm a customer for life. 

I don't know anything about thule but the osprey momentum is hard to beat. Hopefully the new version is a good as the one I bought. 

The Osprey Escapist 32 is what you want, but there is no stock in SA. Last one was sold about 3 weeks ago.  I was not to happy to hear that when I enquired into one 2 weeks ago. 

I ended up buying the K-Way Kilimanjaro 35L backpack because I will def use it on day hikes as well.  15” laptop fits in there easily.  Not to sure how comfy it will be on long commutes, I cycle 10km to work and not every day. 

Hi All,

I've tried doing a bit of research within the forums, but there doesn't appear to be an up to date thread regarding back packs for commuting.

I've also done research online, but most of the backpacks are not available locally.

The two that I have found that look like the best options are the Osprey @ R 2199 (32l) & Thule - R 2300 ( 27l/ 32l)

attachicon.gifOsprey.pdf

attachicon.gifThule.pdf

My question are,

1. What other options/ brands can people recommend if I need to carry clothes in every day. 
  2. 32l or 27l?

Kind Regards

Not to answer your question directly, but could affect your choice in backpack.

I leave shoes and a couple of pairs of pants, toiletries, etc at the office and either drive in 1 day a week to swap out or pop in over the weekend. This means my backpack only needs to carry 1 x shirt / socks / undies in and bring back at the end of the day. Smaller the better. Also have tools, rain jacket, thermal blanket, laptop, lights, etc.

post-16445-0-19565400-1476968832_thumb.jpeg

Not to answer your question directly, but could affect your choice in backpack.

I leave shoes and a couple of pairs of pants, toiletries, etc at the office and either drive in 1 day a week to swap out or pop in over the weekend. This means my backpack only needs to carry 1 x shirt / socks / undies in and bring back at the end of the day. Smaller the better. Also have tools, rain jacket, thermal blanket, laptop, lights, etc.

attachicon.gifWhatsApp Image 2016-10-20 at 15.06.37.jpeg

It is definitely something that I have been thinking about, it's also why I'm looking at the 27l pack.

It is definitely something that I have been thinking about, it's also why I'm looking at the 27l pack.

oh and another consideration... it might just be me getting old, inconsistent fitness and/or setup issues, but the backpack did start to take its toll on my back (lower). The 1 i have now has waist and chest straps which help distribute the weight which definitely reduces the strain a fair bit.

we stock and sell the ATG Orange 30L back-pack, 100% water-proof, exterior zipped pouch for smalls, built-in reflector strips, a height-adjustable pack-pad, the back-pad has DEER channels to vent a hot back, and the shoulder straps and waist strap are all WIDE, to not 'bite', and they are FULLY PERFORATED, to wick away sweat-keep you cool.

R1450, a-n-d they come with an internal removable laptop/iPad pouch!

Cheers

Chris & Team 021 510 6455