Commuting Backpacks

Caerus

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Osprey Escapist 32 is what you want, but there is no stock in SA. Last one was sold about 3 weeks ago.  I was not to happy to hear that when I enquired into one 2 weeks ago. 

I ended up buying the K-Way Kilimanjaro 35L backpack because I will def use it on day hikes as well.  15” laptop fits in there easily.  Not to sure how comfy it will be on long commutes, I cycle 10km to work and not every day. 

on this point, have just dealt with drifters on line store and bought a raptor 14l way cheaper than anyone else.

The guy told me a container has just cocked from overseas and they are busy sorting orders out. They may just have stock. Once I have done a few rides with the raptor14 I will put in a review for you guys.

Mountain Mail and Order in CT is kinda expensive - but has most things. I have found that they "regular" outdoor shops, due south, cape union, etc. Even columbia closed doors and became trappers trading which no stocks mainly clothes. Outdoor warehouse does not have a lot of stock in terms of packs, and they are costly. 

on this point, have just dealt with drifters on line store and bought a raptor 14l way cheaper than anyone else.

The guy told me a container has just cocked from overseas and they are busy sorting orders out. They may just have stock. Once I have done a few rides with the raptor14 I will put in a review for you guys.

Mountain Mail and Order in CT is kinda expensive - but has most things. I have found that they "regular" outdoor shops, due south, cape union, etc. Even columbia closed doors and became trappers trading which no stocks mainly clothes. Outdoor warehouse does not have a lot of stock in terms of packs, and they are costly. 

:eek:

The one I use is a 24l has a high visibility rain cover and detachable laptop/iPad pouch. It is a cycling specific pack (Thule pack n pedal)

https://www.thule.com/en/za/backpacks/biking-backpacks/thule-pack-n-pedal-commuter-backpack-_-pp_100070

Very comfortable, however I see the have gotten rather pricey (3k vicinity)

I actually have my eyes on that one.  Might be a tad small but I am looking at it.

ive been using my osprey for almost 2 years now, no complains, just need to get myself a waterproof raincover. will post a pic later

I use the Deuter Giga Bike.

It has supports all round and a reflexive raincover.

Proper support and many compartments for packing.

Additional storage for cell phone and goodies...

Stocked at Cape Union Mart

Cost R1400

• 1 year later...

Anybody used this for commuting perhaps?

Thule Crossover 25L Laptop Backpack

Quite pricey but if it is decent quality and something that will last I would invest in it because I commute almost daily.

My current bag is very nice but does not offer too much storage. Not a big deal but some days I need a bit more.

I only carry my ultrabook laptop, lunch boxes, smartphone, keys, underwear/socks, glasses/cycling glasses and charger of the laptop.

• 1 year later...

Osprey is also one of my favorite backpacks. Its high quality and practicality are most praiseworthy. In addition, I also recommend Mancro for commuting backpacks. The design is simple, can be matched with any clothing, can accommodate 15-inch laptops, and most commuter backpacks with USB interface.

Anybody used this for commuting perhaps?

Thule Crossover 25L Laptop Backpack

Quite pricey but if it is decent quality and something that will last I would invest in it because I commute almost daily.

My current bag is very nice but does not offer too much storage. Not a big deal but some days I need a bit more.

I only carry my ultrabook laptop, lunch boxes, smartphone, keys, underwear/socks, glasses/cycling glasses and charger of the laptop.

I have the 32L and its tough with good quality fabric and zips and fairly comfortable.I dont commute on the bike with it tho.No rain cover which for me is a problem.

Been Using the K-Way Meru for a good many years now. The overall pack is really solid, has a mesh back that is raised off the pack, so it breathes well, a decent storage capacity, concealed rain cover and just works.

My current one is about 5 years old now and was looking a bit worn, yet still fully functional ... but they no longer make the Meru, instead they have replaced it with the Denali. Similar in design, just with better/additional features.

These are on sale at the moment at Cape Union Mart till the 23rd .. .marked down from R1199.00 to R600.00.

Now this morning a chop caused an accident in front of me by passing our group on the right hand cycle lane and then clipping a runner ... and then falling in front of and into me.

My Meru took the brunt of the force on the tar and has a couple of scuffs on it. Given it's age and the fact that it is used daily on my commute, the bag did very will RE the rip stop fabric.

Any way .... that was the last straw, was going to go pick up the new Denali this evening after work, but my #BestWifeEver went out this morning to buy the pack for me, and I am looking forward to another good 5 years at least on another K-Way back pack.

https://www.capeunionmart.co.za/k-way-denali-19#

post-5403-0-03422600-1579595681_thumb.jpeg

Been Using the K-Way Meru for a good many years now. The overall pack is really solid, has a mesh back that is raised off the pack, so it breathes well, a decent storage capacity, concealed rain cover and just works.

My current one is about 5 years old now and was looking a bit worn, yet still fully functional ... but they no longer make the Meru, instead they have replaced it with the Denali. Similar in design, just with better/additional features.

These are on sale at the moment at Cape Union Mart till the 23rd .. .marked down from R1199.00 to R600.00.

Now this morning a chop caused an accident in front of me by passing our group on the right hand cycle lane and then clipping a runner ... and then falling in front of and into me.

My Meru took the brunt of the force on the tar and has a couple of scuffs on it. Given it's age and the fact that it is used daily on my commute, the bag did very will RE the rip stop fabric.

Any way .... that was the last straw, was going to go pick up the new Denali this evening after work, but my #BestWifeEver went out this morning to buy the pack for me, and I am looking forward to another good 5 years at least on another K-Way back pack.

https://www.capeunionmart.co.za/k-way-denali-19#

Eish Hairy ... hope you and the runner both ok? ...  and the chop :|    

Eish Hairy ... hope you and the runner both ok? ...  and the chop :|    

bit battered and bruised, but my kidney are is flipping sore.

runner was just slightly clipped and no issues there, not sure RE the rider ... he left while I was still putting my chain on .... guy was not even wearing a helmet, but he had decent kit on and what looked like a nice roadie bike.