Absa Cape Epic 2017

Acerunner

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Christo is the Brand Manager for the Cape Epic, and a keen Hubber. I don't envy him having to talk on TV, I'd be nervous as anything! Give him a chance, he's got some great insights.

Not the same Christo that knits socks?

Christo is the Brand Manager for the Cape Epic, and a keen Hubber. I don't envy him having to talk on TV, I'd be nervous as anything! Give him a chance, he's got some great insights.

To be fair, he is getting more comfortable and making a lot of sense and is probably doing a much better job than I would do. Although maybe I am just getting soft, because even Gerald is starting to sound pleasant now. Maybe I have been away from SA too long. [emoji23]

Commentating is not an easy job for sure, no ways I could do that. It must be awful that the feed keeps cutting and then you are on camera having to find something to say.

The live stream and commentary has been great!

To be fair, he is getting more comfortable and making a lot of sense and is probably doing a much better job than I would do. Although maybe I am just getting soft, because even Gerald is starting to sound pleasant now. Maybe I have been away from SA too long. [emoji23]

He is definitely getting more comfortable..

:whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

THOUGHT I WOULD EXERCISE MY CAPS RIGHTS,but ill let it slide....mods just keep an eye on this matter please

Glad you are keeping an eye on the TV schedule

WELL DONE

????

IMHO I think Gerald has improved since he started riding a mtb and has a slightly better understanding of the sport 

Looks like Songo took the stage in the sprint ahead of Scott and Centurion Vaude 3rd.

Cannondale losing some time today.

Stirnemann just lacking the power to get past the songo to be the first 2nd team member to cross the line..

Songo take the win.

Scott 2nd

Centurion Vaude 3rd

Edited by Gen

found the actual show on DSTV/catchup now. http://now.dstv.com/catchup/program/a7bc6b5a-b674-45f0-8673-35d89001ff83?&acc_pg_sec=catchup%20search%20tab

ok my bad, then. Was out of town all weekend, doing amongst other things, riding my bike. I searched everything from SS4-SS9. The supersport tv-guide is so blerrie useless you have to search channel by channel. I have never seen cycling on SS2 before. You're welcome to call me a poephol for not undertanding how DSTV schedules their programs, but remember they have a long history of treating the TV-Guide as nothing more than a rough guide of what could possibly be on the channel at that time. Plenty of times have tried recording something but the actual broadcast channel changes

ja I am. they've got Algeria, Belgium, Tunisia, Slovakia, Ukraine, Portugal but not South Africa.

Did they have Switzerland ????????

I have yet to find it on a Swiss channel.... luckily I get the Bike TV channel and they also have a delayed broadcast in the evening but then the bladdy satellite signal starts messing around and records a lot of ZES

So I watch it on the CE you tube link from email....????

Its difficult to watch this guy - this is just not his thing.  Leave it to the pros

That's gonna HURT.

Oh, ja. And they're all pussies. 60km in 40plus degrees is a walk in the park... Organ failure, schmorgan failure... HTFU.

Yeah, right. Anyone who does that, in that heat, deserves respect for the sheer willpower that it requires to carry on pedalling.

Strikes me that whilst people may be getting adequate hydration, are they getting adequate electrolyte supplementation? They must be secreting enormous amounts of sodium / potassium / mag etc. May be worthwhile for some to get salt tabs just to replace the stuff they lose on such hot and long efforts.

Water and wine gums

In my opinion the main reason for riders not making it is trying to ride too fast for their fitness levels. If your aim is just to finish and not 'dice' that other guy, eat and drink well, manage the cut off times, you should make it. It is crazy how people go out from day 1 at the same pace as their local club or buddy rides at home. You need to have a rule for day 1 to 3 where you dont go over a certain average heart rate and stick to it. But as soon as you throw a 100 guys in a bunch its a race of some kind. I have finished an Epic where I dont think i was ever in the red because i had a partner that didnt really prepare and we had to look after him. i've also had Epics where I was fitter and almost didnt finish because I was trying to race.