Absa Cape Epic 2017

Acerunner

8 Stages. You are definately not going to win it. Maybe I would also rather not take on obstacles that I normally would. It costs a crap load of money, a finishers medal is something to be very proud of. Err on the side of caution rather than risk it?

I think that is how I would do it So maybe not a lack of skills. IMO

100% agreed.

No one worries if you came 100th or 20th or 450th. You finished Epic, so you are one of the Manne or one of the Tannies (sometimes being PC doesn't translate well.)

To Err on the side of caution is definitely the way to go. Whether on Epic, Sani2C, local kerk bazaar race or a ride with your mates. If you want to be competitive you need to finish it first to be first.

Even if it is the prologue, okes are gooiing and definitely being competitive. It is a race after all, when the red mist descends on you a lot of pre agreed strategies go out of the window. And sometimes that adrenalin rush pushes them to 11/10. Couple that with tiredness and low focus levels and this is when mistakes happen.

Also remember that one person's idea of conservative is another's "is hy dan mal?"

I heard a story of that year when Philip Buys was riding with Nino. On the Vissies Magic singletrack Phil was in front and klapping it, and Nino was on his wheel, chowing an energy bar. I can't even remember my name when I am trying to klap it down there.

Or Kevin Ev grinding a climb while Nino was practising his no handed wheelies behind him.

Man I can't wait for the rest of this week's drama.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

100% agreed.

No one worries if you came 100th or 20th or 450th. You finished Epic, so you are one of the Manne or one of the Tannies (sometimes being PC doesn't translate well.)

To Err on the side of caution is definitely the way to go. Whether on Epic, Sani2C, local kerk bazaar race or a ride with your mates. If you want to be competitive you need to finish it first to be first.

Even if it is the prologue, okes are gooiing and definitely being competitive. It is a race after all, when the red mist descends on you a lot of pre agreed strategies go out of the window. And sometimes that adrenalin rush pushes them to 11/10. Couple that with tiredness and low focus levels and this is when mistakes happen.

Also remember that one person's idea of conservative is another's "is hy dan mal?"

I heard a story of that year when Philip Buys was riding with Nino. On the Vissies Magic singletrack Phil was in front and klapping it, and Nino was on his wheel, chowing an energy bar. I can't even remember my name when I am trying to klap it down there.

Or Kevin Ev grinding a climb while Nino was practising his no handed wheelies behind him.

Man I can't wait for the rest of this week's drama.

yep. Agree fully. Things I consider "easy" would take on a different note if I still had 7 days to ride and I'd just spend 38k & 10 months prep on an entry. 

Stop arguing and answer my question re the rainbow stripes!!

Maybe the UCI wrote N1no an official letter asking him if they may change the rules so that he can wear his rainbow stripes?

Injury tally on The Gorge (JUST that section)

4 collarbones

2 severe concussions

Joel

1 Handlebar

1 Saddle...

Not so sure of the rest of the course. 

Not as injury heavy as Plum Pudding hill a couple of years ago (which can get VERY blown out in summer) but not a bad toll for a 200m section of trail. 

yep. Agree fully. Things I consider "easy" would take on a different note if I still had 7 days to ride and I'd just spend 38k & 10 months prep on an entry. 

No.

no no no no no no no no no no no no no no....

Howcome you arent a coach, jurre you just gooid a wealth of knowledge here which Im sure has Schurter, Kulhavy, Sauser, Hynek and all those manne pros and amateurs glued to your post waiting for the next bit of tech setup.

If you were that good, why have you not been sponsored as you always have the answers? Maybe not for XC or anything but downhill perhaps?

Am I missing something, are you a tech coach?

No.

no no no no no no no no no no no no no no....

Howcome you arent a coach, jurre you just gooid a wealth of knowledge here which Im sure has Schurter, Kulhavy, Sauser, Hynek and all those manne pros and amateurs glued to your post waiting for the next bit of tech setup.

If you were that good, why have you not been sponsored as you always have the answers? Maybe not for XC or anything but downhill perhaps?

Am I missing something, are you a tech coach?

LOL. 

Dude... If Nino offered a skills session, I'd sell both kidneys, my left testicle and half my liver to be there, just to get one 100th of the skills that he has. Kulhavy - I'd get climbing training from. Sauser - how to just carry on and on and on at the same tempo. Hynek - a bit of everything.

My comments were strictly related to the non-pointy end people, who (generalisation alert) tend to concentrate more on distance than tech training 

Blixem

How can one guy have such bad luck in an event?

That looks terribly sore

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

It does, doesn't it. That gash on his temple... Eiiiiina. Must have klapped the ground incredibly hard. 

Blixem

How can one guy have such bad luck in an event?

That looks terribly sore

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Def. not going to walk that one off,,,shame *** luck

Def. not going to walk that one off,,,shame *** luck

Indeed.

Terrible luck.

You'd think it was Friday reading the last few pages of this thread! LOL

I was going to say clearly a few HUBBERS have to work tomorrow :)

You'd think it was Friday reading the last few pages of this thread! LOL

It's Epic fever baby yeah ????????????

I was going to say clearly a few HUBBERS have to work tomorrow :)

Yes us plebs will be working tomorrow while the rest of you high rollers are practicing skillzzz

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived