The Munga - The Toughest Race On Earth

nathrix

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is really close between the top 5 hey.. really not much in it.. the 2 in front will have to take a rest again.

Sjoe.. JD and HV are playing a game of musical leader..

I think a lot of it has to do with when their trackers are updating. I saw now the HV had updated 2min ago and JD 12min ago. It's a pity we don't have someone reporting from the road.

When I came across this thread just before the start on Day 1, I thought you guys were nuts. Sitting around staring at coloured dots on the screen for hours on end. Then I read up more on the Munga and some of the participants and guess what I've been doing for 2 days? :ph34r:  :ph34r:

Look at where JN was last year.... his surge beat GU was amazing.

Remember GU had stomach problems at WP 9 though

Sjoe.. JD and HV are playing a game of musical leader..

They don't swap lead as often as it might look... you must always click on the dot and see how long ago it was updated. Sometimes as long as 20minutes, while the other rider could have just updated, and hence they can be a good distance away from where their dot is showing on the map... Leaderboard has Jeannie ahead now (by 2km) - not sure how they work it out. But she is behind on the dots at the moment, but it hasn't refreshed in 14minutes ;)

What is Jeannie D's background

Never really heard of her until last year's performance

Is she PRO?

What's in her jungle oats? Who sponsors her?

Any other famous bike riders in her gene pool?

What an ultra-endurance athlete. Respect.

I first encountered Jeannie in 2006 at my first solo 24hr race in Malmesbury. Already then she showed her endurance talents, winning the women's category.

(This rather embarrassing thread still exists: Malmesbury 24hr)

Over the years she has pretty much done and won everything, adventure racing, marathon racing, 24hrs, RASA, Baviaans etc.

Fast forward to 2015 where my partner and I "raced" her and Martin at 36One for the team title. I say raced, because we certainly were racing, but her and Martin were treating it as a romantic weekend away on bikes - no kids, just them spending quality time together in the Klein Karoo. When they finished, they still looked like they could do another lap, while my partner and I could barely move!

Remember GU had stomach problems at WP 9 though

Yip, he would of walked it otherwise... he was stopped for hours, dropped back to 4th/5th I recall, but then put in a monster finish to end up second

I think a lot of it has to do with when their trackers are updating. I saw now the HV had updated 2min ago and JD 12min ago. It's a pity we don't have someone reporting from the road.

Ja.. pity.

They don't swap lead as often as it might look... you must always click on the dot and see how long ago it was updated. Sometimes as long as 20minutes, while the other rider could have just updated, and hence they can be a good distance away from where their dot is showing on the map... Leaderboard has Jeannie ahead now (by 2km) - not sure how they work it out. But she is behind on the dots at the moment, but it hasn't refreshed in 14minutes ;)

These 2 are so close together we could be cheering them at the end and they could be having a beer already[emoji85] or sleeping.

Mind you that goes for the top 5/6. This thing is far from over.

Does SMs time penalty get added at the end or does he have to sit at one of the support stations? 

Super impressed with MW!!!

Supporting him big time too...only cos he lives near me and I steal his training routes on Strava :whistling:

Check Munga FB page. SM got 30min time penalty. Failed to sign in at WP3 or something

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Archived