The Munga - The Toughest Race On Earth

nathrix

takelot has specials on their screens, can you send me a new please ? My second one now has a hole in where a choc chip from my choc chip biscuit and tea mix hit the screen. Pm with address to follow

I do not, now have I ever, taken the biscuit! :)

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to see the speed difference between last year and this year over the course. 

Not really a fair comparison. Apparently Day 1 was way more brutal than last year and this caused untold issues with people dropping like flies.

Day 2 and 3 were marginally better than last year, but day one did it's work.

Glad to see one of my horses came through.

My 2c ,,being a small rider 66k is all about conservative riding,,well after 30k it was 45 deg on the Garmin and a gailforce headwind,coming around a corner I found about 10 guys under a tree just chilling.

well joined that party,after 20 min we all decided to try and make the first water point.to say it was brutal out there was the understatement on the year.Tim indicated there he is pulling out,after eventually getting to WP 1 another lie down for all,Pulled out later and about 7 of us grouped.

there was pushing through red sand ,unrideable ,your heartrate that's supposed to be super low is spiking to 160 .

after dark it did improve and we eventually became a group of about 12 ,riding improved and we sailed into the night.The temp still around 28d ,,,stopped a spaza shop that was kept open,,thank the lord,cold drinks and food,,When they say carry at least 3l water ,,no ****,,The Un official water points are life savers,

Trying to drink water out your bottle that is hot hot is nasty,and your tummy gets unhappy.

I Decided to push on to VAN DER KLOOF Dam ,,Arrived at 5 with 4 other riders,somehow I lost my Garmin on the rocky terrain before the dam and that was game over,,but I realized that I could not keep fighting the non stop headwind for 4 more days.

decided to call it a day,,,Gutted but I have to live with that.If you are thinking of riding this its a total mind game,,it's brutal I have a new respect for water,,it's your lifeblood out there.We need someone to develop a bottle that is self refrigerating.

hope that a bit of insight.

I still believe more effort can be done with the finish!

I Know, it is long and drawn out...... but damn. At least finish in the shade or have a few chairs and a Gazebo handy. After the trek, no matter where you finish. You want to plonk you ass or body down and chill for a few minutes.

During the day a few wet towels would be good and at night a blanket or similar.

Apparently the food stops were great, but....

My 2c ,,being a small rider 66k is all about conservative riding,,well after 30k it was 45 deg on the Garmin and a gailforce headwind,coming around a corner I found about 10 guys under a tree just chilling.

well joined that party,after 20 min we all decided to try and make the first water point.to say it was brutal out there was the understatement on the year.Tim indicated there he is pulling out,after eventually getting to WP 1 another lie down for all,Pulled out later and about 7 of us grouped.

there was pushing through red sand ,unrideable ,your heartrate that's supposed to be super low is spiking to 160 .

after dark it did improve and we eventually became a group of about 12 ,riding improved and we sailed into the night.The temp still around 28d ,,,stopped a spaza shop that was kept open,,thank the lord,cold drinks and food,,When they say carry at least 3l water ,,no ****,,The Un official water points are life savers,

Trying to drink water out your bottle that is hot hot is nasty,and your tummy gets unhappy.

I Decided to push on to VAN DER KLOOF Dam ,,Arrived at 5 with 4 other riders,somehow I lost my Garmin on the rocky terrain before the dam and that was game over,,but I realized that I could not keep fighting the non stop headwind for 4 more days.

decided to call it a day,,,Gutted but I have to live with that.If you are thinking of riding this its a total mind game,,it's brutal I have a new respect for water,,it's your lifeblood out there.We need someone to develop a bottle that is self refrigerating.

Incredible

Thx for sharing with us.

My urban dictionary knowledge is not great, I also don't know what FWIW means.....

FWIW... For what it's worth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just starting this would be a huge victory to me. One I don't think I will ever win. Huge respect for hanging on as long as you did in those conditions!

Many on for a late night by the looks of it, quite a few pushing on and will likely finish in the early hours of the morning... still great to watch!

I rode the 360 earlier the year and it was tough but no probs did a 21.30 to compare this to Munga is a joke.

The 40deg and hot drinking water and berg winds is what kills you out there,the conditions are brutal brutal .

I rode the 360 earlier the year and it was tough but no probs did a 21.30 to compare this to Munga is a joke.

The 40deg and hot drinking water and berg winds is what kills you out there,the conditions are brutal brutal .

Respect!

I think one must physically be so strong to be able to fight those winds, never mind the mental toughness required

Huge respect mate and to all the others out there.  Well done and thanks for the post.

This guy... well done.. damn does anyone know how long he had to walk after his spokes broke

f026469d9ce45899c29e7bad411099df.jpg

Sbu has a 30min time penalty, probably why he is still active.

O ja I forgot about that. Damn what a shame.

Thanks for the info.

Sent from my LG-H735 using Tapatalk

I have just read this - any one know why ?

Man this is just plain not good news!

He tweeted that he got heat stroke. It was on the first night.

Sent from my LG-H735 using Tapatalk

Archived