Are 26er's still competitive?

Jameslaskey

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

James, James, James. Is it just a coincidence that you stopped being competitive when 29ers became mainstream? Tell us the real reason. Why would you want to upgrade from a "high end" 26er to a "low end" 29er? Apples with apples my friend.

Just enjoy riding your bike. That's what it's all about, isn't it? But, don't try and justify any excuses or inferiority complex that you feel towards those riding the great new technology available. It will eat you like a cancer and make you green and very sick.

Thanks for reviving this topic, as the old die hards who are still stuck in the past, will always come out from under their ox wagons and try and defend their V brakes and BMX sized wheels. Hell some of these Stravassh@les, are even digging up certificates with times taken on stopwatches, to try and defend their inferiority by comparing then, when they were younger and now. I bet they still use riser bars and bar ends on their Merida XC bikes, refusing to admit that they bought the wrong damn bikes in the first place, as it should have been a slacker Giant Trance, which would be so much kinder to their old rugby injuries. These are the same guys that will tell you to rinse your camel"pack" with bleach and to loop your chain with GTX and dab your butt with meths to harden it.

You see, some of us will always be curious and keen to ride new, superior technology, one because we can and two, because we want to. There are some of us who walk past our carbon 29er dual suspension bikes, hanging on the wall in our man caves and stare at them in awe. There are others who uncover their archaic 26ers from a tarpaulin in the tool shed, pump the tyres and go for a ride, often ending up trailside begging for a tube, as tubeless was just a fad. They are the ones who trash modern riders for smiling at them when they say, "doesn't anyone carry 26er tjoops anymore?" They are the ones who continue to wear their Judron rugby shorts and tekkies, as Lycra is for girls. They sometimes even wear their Topsport helmut's back to front, "as it's more comfortable that way".

Me, I'll just continue to ride my carbon 29er, because I like it, I'll continue to move left on the trail for faster riders, as my excuse for not training every day, is that I have a real job, and I'm sticking to it. Heck I'll even compliment them on their outdated 26 inch steel Nishiki bike, as my mate started on one. Me Naah, I had a 26 inch Cannondale, as I was into great technology even back then, but I never hesitated in giving it to a student who wanted a reliable method of transport, once I had my eye on a 29er. Did I cry about it? Hell no, I was moving forward with the times man. I mean, who cries when they sell and old car? Then don't sell it dammit!

The point is there are a lot of nostalgic folks who are too stubborn, or who cannot afford the latest technology, which is all good, but then don't criticise those who can. Rather shut the hell up and pedal your old technology harder, so that you can tell your kids and non cycling friends what a machine you really are passing all the rich, fat guys. They will think you are a hero and that's cool, because in your mind you are. You see James, at the end of he day, at least we are exercising by feeling the wind in our hair, like laaities in the veld after school and not lounging on the couch, which only comes after a ride. This is part of what makes it the sport that we love.

This is my take on it, dont worry about wheel size. Its all about the training, no matter what bike you ride if you dont train it means nothing.  Ever biker has his owns mind set when it comes to what they like to ride, so you wont get any clear answers if wheel size matters or not.

People keep talking about the world champs and the bikes they win with, they get paid to win and thats what they do. If its a bmx or 29er, its there job.

Just up grade the bike as much as possible, if you want to get a 29er the save a little ad sell your 26er. 

This is my take on it, dont worry about wheel size. Its all about the training, no matter what bike you ride if you dont train it means nothing.  Ever biker has his owns mind set when it comes to what they like to ride, so you wont get any clear answers if wheel size matters or not.

People keep talking about the world champs and the bikes they win with, they get paid to win and thats what they do. If its a bmx or 29er, its there job.

Just up grade the bike as much as possible, if you want to get a 29er the save a little ad sell your 26er. 

Agreed.

James, James, James. Is it just a coincidence that you stopped being competitive when 29ers became mainstream? Tell us the real reason. Why would you want to upgrade from a "high end" 26er to a "low end" 29er? Apples with apples my friend.

Just enjoy riding your bike. That's what it's all about, isn't it? But, don't try and justify any excuses or inferiority complex that you feel towards those riding the great new technology available. It will eat you like a cancer and make you green and very sick.

Thanks for reviving this topic, as the old die hards who are still stuck in the past, will always come out from under their ox wagons and try and defend their V brakes and BMX sized wheels. Hell some of these Stravassh@les, are even digging up certificates with times taken on stopwatches, to try and defend their inferiority by comparing then, when they were younger and now. I bet they still use riser bars and bar ends on their Merida XC bikes, refusing to admit that they bought the wrong damn bikes in the first place, as it should have been a slacker Giant Trance, which would be so much kinder to their old rugby injuries. These are the same guys that will tell you to rinse your camel"pack" with bleach and to loop your chain with GTX and dab your butt with meths to harden it.

You see, some of us will always be curious and keen to ride new, superior technology, one because we can and two, because we want to. There are some of us who walk past our carbon 29er dual suspension bikes, hanging on the wall in our man caves and stare at them in awe. There are others who uncover their archaic 26ers from a tarpaulin in the tool shed, pump the tyres and go for a ride, often ending up trailside begging for a tube, as tubeless was just a fad. They are the ones who trash modern riders for smiling at them when they say, "doesn't anyone carry 26er tjoops anymore?" They are the ones who continue to wear their Judron rugby shorts and tekkies, as Lycra is for girls. They sometimes even wear their Topsport helmut's back to front, "as it's more comfortable that way".

Me, I'll just continue to ride my carbon 29er, because I like it, I'll continue to move left on the trail for faster riders, as my excuse for not training every day, is that I have a real job, and I'm sticking to it. Heck I'll even compliment them on their outdated 26 inch steel Nishiki bike, as my mate started on one. Me Naah, I had a 26 inch Cannondale, as I was into great technology even back then, but I never hesitated in giving it to a student who wanted a reliable method of transport, once I had my eye on a 29er. Did I cry about it? Hell no, I was moving forward with the times man. I mean, who cries when they sell and old car? Then don't sell it dammit!

The point is there are a lot of nostalgic folks who are too stubborn, or who cannot afford the latest technology, which is all good, but then don't criticise those who can. Rather shut the hell up and pedal your old technology harder, so that you can tell your kids and non cycling friends what a machine you really are passing all the rich, fat guys. They will think you are a hero and that's cool, because in your mind you are. You see James, at the end of he day, at least we are exercising by feeling the wind in our hair, like laaities in the veld after school and not lounging on the couch, which only comes after a ride. This is part of what makes it the sport that we love.

Brilliant, that's it.

The end of all wheel size debates.

We can now close this thread and every other wheel size thread from here on is now pointless and irrelevant.

The difs between 650b an 29er is minimal

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

http://keyassets.timeincuk.net/inspirewp/live/wp-content/uploads/sites/11/2015/04/Wheelsize.jpg

29ers are faster in most situations

I have a 26er cos its what i have

I have 4 of them actually, they are all fun to ride. Ive only ridden a 29er twice so i cant give a real opinion but they do seem better in a lot of ways when it comes to covering more ground quickly. Im probably getting one soon then can see if there is a measurable diffenence on my favourite descents. 29ers are definitely quicker uphill and on the flats, no question

I rode a modern 29er trail bike briefly two weeks ago. It was great but it didn't make me want to sell my 26er enduro bike. With a bit more time on it, I would have been completely at home though.

It was very easy to get used to  - it turned in almost as well and jumped easily. The guy who was testing it, kept up with me easily on a flow type trail. When we tackled a steep, tight and rocky track, he fell way behind. Some of it was trail knowledge  - I know the trails a bit better, but some must have been down to the tech narrow, rocky nature of the trails. 

Going back to my 26er and it felt like a BMX even after no more than a few minutes on the bigger wheeled bike. 

• 2 weeks later...

You know, lycra is not the latest technology. Its probably older than Judron shorts. And women definitely look a k@k load better in lycra than men. In fact there should be a rule against men in lycra - except on the road.

I also hate to break it to you, but there were tubeless 26er tyres before there were 29er versions. 29ers are the Johnny -come-lately's of the MTB world. Stealing the previous generations ideas and claiming them as their own. You know what they say in politics - repeat the same lie enough it becomes the truth. Same in cycling ... :-)