Bumble Bee to Red Riding Racer

DJR

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really awesome...been meaning to do a similar project too for a while...this gives me a bit of motivation to also get started...

Love this post.

I have a Colnago C 40 B Stay which I ride in the cradle regularly as my primary road bike.

What always surprises me is how many people come up to me and comment on it as a wonderful bike, and this in the company of some serious speed weaponry.

Last ride i had 3 x comments from bunches and random strangers around it being a classic.

The great thing is that when i was big in to MTB I nearly sold it a number of times but i couldn't bring myself to part with it as it was the bike I had done all my major racing and PB's on.

Its like a part of my life and history exists with that bike.

I am the first owner I  bought from Alan van Heerden back when he was the importer of all things great - it was purchased in about 2001. It was my first serious purchase in the bike racing world after riding a Trek 5500. It was specced with Campag 10 Speed and the frame alone cost R 17 900 at the time.

Spec really has been consistent - wheels have changed though. Basically Campag 10 Speed with initially a set on Nucleons (which I foolishly sold) then Mavic Ksyriums (I couldn't straighten them once a rim bent) and now back to Neutrons.

It is a timeless machine that I think fits the stage i am in the my cycling career. I would like to restore it fully next time i get a chance.

Love the write up....especially the Spark (justification) for the project. :clap:

I do not own a road bike but now I want one...... :drool:

Helluva ding

Funny that you should say that, while taking the pictures at UCT, the bloody southeaster blew the bike over and it got its first scratch. :( At least now I can ride it and no longer worry about that! :)  

My C40 gets delivered today.

Will start a separate thread.

By my count that makes 4x C40's that will be getting a rebuild within the next months. Fantastic to see these bikes of yesteryear getting the love and attention so richly deserved. Looking forward to all these rebuild threads.

Three pages later.. not even parents of newborns get this level of attention.

Snuck into your house when you went looking and I must say, "dit lyk BAK!"

By my count that makes 4x C40's that will be getting a rebuild within the next months. Fantastic to see these bikes of yesteryear getting the love and attention so richly deserved. Looking forward to all these rebuild threads.

Make that 5:

post-50-0-25700800-1479476635_thumb.jpg

Archived