Female Cycling Numbers

Hacc

I am not sure on which forum to post this.

I had a look at the number of female cyclists participating at the 94.7 and Argus for the last 4 years (according to Racetec):

• 2016: 3741
  • 2015: 4186
  • 2014: 4625
  • 2013: 4190

Argus

• 2016: 5296
  • 2015: 6435 (47km, so this should be excluded)
  • 2014: 5909
  • 2013: 6229

It seems the number of female cyclists is declining and my question is why? 

Are the wives looking after children on weekends while hubby is cycling? 

It would be interesting to have your thoughts and also how to go about promoting cycling to women. 

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gonna follow this, should be interesting also to note the distinction between serious and social female riders.

Definite shortage of serious/racing females. Most evident at young age groups. And don't blame it on the lack of sponsors please.

I am not sure on which forum to post this.

I had a look at the number of female cyclists participating at the 94.7 and Argus for the last 4 years (according to Racetec):

• 2016: 3741
  • 2015: 4186
  • 2014: 4625
  • 2013: 4190

Argus

• 2016: 5296
  • 2015: 6435 (47km, so this should be excluded)
  • 2014: 5909
  • 2013: 6229

It seems the number of female cyclists is declining and my question is why? 

Are the wives looking after children on weekends while hubby is cycling? 

It would be interesting to have your thoughts and also how to go about promoting cycling to women. 

Huge assumption that...........and a bad one

Cost of cycling have increased so much that in most cases only one person in a family can afford to cycle, which in most cases will be the man in the house.

It is even worse with the MTBing at school level. A girl can do the Spur School MTB races, and if she is just mildly fit and skilled, she will get a top 10. Most girls are not too much bothered with 2 wheels it seems.

I would like to see the male/female split amongst active hubbers. But I guess it would be 95/5.

Not sure if I am qualified to comment as I am a relative beginner and a 'social' rider but I personally prefer MTB as I don't feel safe riding on the roads.  

That's how it is for me. My wife used to ride(admittedly she wasn't a serious cyclist and mostly did MTB.) But since my lightie was born she hasn't touched the bike at all. In fact even while she was pregnant all she did was a little bit of IDT in the beginning and then nothing. I still train and race quite a lot. My lightie is now 1 so still requires someone with him all the time.

I'm the exception to the rule. My missus is very competitive, and quite successful for a privateer, full time employed mother of 3.

In our house, cycling expenditures are directed mainly towards her, so I take care of the kids mostly, and when I go riding the grandparents do the babysitting.

She recently started the road thing, rode down to durban for shova, and did quite well at the 947 finishing well below the 3 hour mark, racing elite female.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I swear all the girls have started surfing! (At least the ones living at the coast...) Never seen that many girls surfing in 20 + years of chasing waves as I have seen in the past 18 months! It's really refreshing to have ladies mixing it up, more so when they back up their presence with skills in some of the more challenging spots my mates and I trek too!

Not making any assumptions, just asking the question.

Mountain Biking?!? Just saying... It would be interesting to look at the 94.7 and Argus MTB numbers...

How many male Mountain Bikers ride 94.7 and Argus?

Its a good thing, they are becoming more aware of the true dangers of cycling on the roads.

Dude, I have a challenge for you. I dare you to make just one post that is genuinely positive and free of sarcasm.

I think a lot more ladies do mtb races, judging by their numbers at these events ( maybe a biased opinion from a male perspective but would be interesting to see the facts )

A lot of ladies get very nervous in large bunch groups and prefer not to ride these road events

Dude, I have a challenge for you. I dare you to make just one post that is genuinely positive and free of sarcasm.

My post is free of sarcasm. And it might seem negative but the reality of the danger of cycling on roads is a negative thing and my comment is in line with this. My comments regarding the danger is there to make people ask the question "is this hobby worth the danger?" and it could even save a life and to me that is positive.

Archived