• Replies 930
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know what this is about?

From Cycling South Africa

L’Étape du Tour: Cycling SA withdraws sanction

Many amateur cyclists are planning to participate in the inaugural L’Étape du Tour South Africa, which is set to take place in the KwaZulu-Natal Midlands on Sunday 2 April 2017.

Cycling SA wishes to advise all cyclists, specifically those with racing licences, that after various consultations and requests, the race organisers have been unable to furnish the National Federation with the required documentation – including the safety file, risk categorisation and road permissions – by the deadline provided by Cycling SA.

It is most unfortunate that Cycling SA is therefore unable to sanction and endorse this event. Safety of the rider remains the number one priority at sanctioned events. This crucial decision has been made with the express interest of all cyclists relating to safety as the number one priority.

Any idea of what sort of fare they will have available at the feed stations? Or do we need to "bring-your-own"?

Very good question - what is the diffrence between a feed station and a waterpoint? I will definitely need to chow something. Hoping it will live up to the hype. I dont have a backup team.

It (website) previously mentioned full road closure, now it shows rolling road closure. I hope the R103 will be closed to traffic - given that the final 30Km are (mostly) downhill. I like to make full use of the road width when there is road closure - allows for faster speeds through the turns.

Also saw the rolling road closures, bugged me a bit. Really hope we have full use of that descent.

snip snip

:eek:

Many amateur cyclists are planning to participate in the inaugural L’Étape du Tour South Africa, which is set to take place in the KwaZulu-Natal Midlands on Sunday 2 April 2017.

Cycling SA wishes to advise all cyclists, specifically those with racing licences, that after various consultations and requests, the race organisers have been unable to furnish the National Federation with the required documentation – including the safety file, risk categorisation and road permissions – by the deadline provided by Cycling SA.

It is most unfortunate that Cycling SA is therefore unable to sanction and endorse this event. Safety of the rider remains the number one priority at sanctioned events. This crucial decision has been made with the express interest of all cyclists relating to safety as the number one priority.

Damn. I am worried now. This plus the sudden "rolling road closure". Rolling for whom? The front and back of the field will be hours apart by the end. Jeez i already had a very expensive non-event this year!!

Geez, CSA have put their weight behind all sorts of dodgy events and presided over some of the worst safety related blunders I've seen. So if even they are not sanctioning this event then it must be risky... 

Methinks demands for a refund should be made if this isn't rectified in time.

Edited by rattlesnake

snip

Remember that your CSA licence only covers you for insurance in the event of a fall at sanctioned events.

This new clause has made sanctioning very important to me.

My impression is that some SA okes persuaded ASO to licence the l’étape name to them for SA and they are doing a great job of effing it up. No way would ASO not be able to organise a bunk up in the brothel this has become.

Damn. I am worried now. This plus the sudden "rolling road closure". Rolling for whom? The front and back of the field will be hours apart by the end. Jeez i already had a very expensive non-event this year!!

Feeling exactly the same here. The rolling might have been changed a while back though, don't think everyone was keeping a daily eye on the rules (Gerald?)

Naming and shaming won't help the situation now - phoning the organiser and getting answers is what is required.

Buyu Sport & Entertainment and Octagon South Africa Managing Director Bonga Sebesho said: “L’Etape South Africa by Le Tour de France is a major coup for us. Buyu Sport & Entertainment represents Octagon’s entry into the event-ownership space and L’Etape will be a major catalyst for this division. We relish the challenge of presenting an event run at international professional standards for South Africa’s ever growing field of amateur cyclists and establishing this event as a must-do cycle experience. L’Etape is a fantastic opportunity for competitive cyclists to be part of worldwide cycling movement with L’Etape taking place in 9 countries. It is our aim to position the South Africa event as the most challenging one of all the L’Etapes.”

Interested individuals are encouraged to subscribe for more information via the official L’Etape South Africa websitewww.letapesouthafrica.com. Further information on L’Etape South Africa 2017, including entry details and the race route will be announced in November. To keep abreast of all developments, please follow us via Twitter: @LetapeSA. Instagram: @letapesa. Facebook: L’Etape South Africa  @letapesouthafrica

L’Etape South Africa: info@letapesouthafrica.com

PR contact: Caroline Malan – The PR Machine – caroline@theprmachine.co.za

This needs to be done 6 months before the time.

• Risk categorisation should be LOW.
  • Safety file - assuming they have a qualified safety officer appointed, this should be a walk in the park for this person
  • Road permission - application to the SAPS submitting a number of documents (that simply cannot be done a few weeks before the event).

The statement by CSA shows the documentation hasn't been submitted, so we need to hope that there is at least documentation.

Time to contact:

Cycle Events - although they are only the online entry portal.

ASO - via their Twitter account

The PR person

And the organisers (located in Sandton, if memory serves me correct).

edit: found it: 

Article 17 – ACCEPTANCE OF THE RULES

Participation in L’Etape du Tour implies each competitor’s express and unreserved acceptance of the present rules.

Operations Director –   L’Etape South Africa

Email: devian@letapesouthafrica.com    tel: 072 395 1349

Edited by geraldm24

I've just spoken Devian - the Operations Director.

He said there is some sort of miscommunication - sure is correct about this.

He took my number and will call me back later this afternoon.

I have to agree, sort of - not knowing the area well enough, and based on my limited time riding the R103 (twice). At least the road passing Piggly Wiggly is straight, but that's about it.

I'm trying to go through my Strava files from the only two occasions I've cycled the R103, trying to physically remember the St Ives dive. If it's the one I think it is, then the Piggly Wiggly is on the right in the middle of a very nice descent.

It (website) previously mentioned full road closure, now it shows rolling road closure. I hope the R103 will be closed to traffic - given that the final 30Km are (mostly) downhill. I like to make full use of the road width when there is road closure - allows for faster speeds through the turns.

The strava segement is called st ives dive.  Piggly wiggly is at the bottom of the major descent.  It descends very gently after that. 

I can understand why they have chosen piggly wiggly, there are many restaurants and shops and it is a pleasant spot for family to wait.

Yeah.. we are leaving Friday afternoon after work and school and also heading back on Monday, perfect timing as it is school holidays.. we'll also be taking the mtbs with. Pick up race number etc early Saturday and head off to the trails on Saturday. .. at least that is the plan[emoji23]

If I still want to look at a bike on the Monday we will do some more mtb riding on Monday morning before we head home[emoji23]

Hubby and the kids will go play on the dirt while I ride on Sunday.

That sounds awesome. Look out for the Wheeler (similar to Gerald's kit) with the blue Merida. I might take my Momsen down now that you mention it.... Howick/Sappi MTB coffee ride!