Free trails in the cape

jimmy hardtail

And then add the cost of travel (time + petrol)

Tygerberg is a nice and condensed trail network.

If the OP is based outside of the West Coast or the Boerewors Curtain, he's going to have to travel in any event.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you compare the landscape with say Jonkershoek or Welvanpas, it can be rather depressing, unless you like 5 different views of Table Mountain, then the TB trails should be your thing.

Ja. Look I tried. It's just not my thing. Quite a lot of the Magic was lost with the fires for me. Tokai. Jonkers.

Hey all, just wondering if there are any free access trails around the greater cape town area besides gspot/eden or black hill. I want to try and do a trail ride each day these holidays but 50 bucks a pop is gonna destroy my budget in a week

trail fees are minimal in the grand scheme of things.

I think the TB trails are best sampled in winter. Wind and sun make them an early morning destination in summer IMO. 

I only ride #EARLYMORNINGS #KIDS #BEINGADAD #GETTOEATTWOBREAKFASTS

Edited by Hairy

I stay in Muizenberg. Rode tokai weekly since about 2001. In the last 2 years i have ridden most of the more tech and dh trails in the western cape but what i really miss is the loose dirt in the trees that the tokai horse trails offered up. I am tired of riding on dirt so hard that it has black tire marks on the surface. I want loose , i want roost, i wanna be able to rail a corner and feel my tires ripping into the soft loam and spraying up dirt like an old 2stroke 125 mx bike!

Basically i want a forest and virgin dirt. For which i will happily pay entry fees. I was just hoping someone knew of a secret trail somewhere that would be worth checking

Although strava has probably ended all of those...

Them, and the green belts. They're not technical, but they're a good ride. 

Then as of 1st, you can do from Table Mountain to Tokai. And if tokai opens soon, then there's that. 

Otherwise free = green belts / g spot / eden / blackhill. 

Table mountain and the new route to Constantia neck are not free. You require an activity permit. You can have 3 other members on your permit which works out to around R300 a person for a years access. Each gets their own card. 

Dont be an ar$e...get a permit if you're planning to ride these.

And then add the cost of travel (time + petrol)

Tygerberg is a nice and condensed trail network.

Or Botlary Hills, these days it is better especially considering the fact that that the trails are less populated. you seldom encounter peeps on your ride.

I heard of a Lions head/Devils peak dh or technical trail that's free. Have no clue of the location but heard a few guys ride there often, Used to be illegal trails but now they open to the public

I heard of a Lions head/Devils peak dh or technical trail that's free. Have no clue of the location but heard a few guys ride there often, Used to be illegal trails but now they open to the public

you need an Activity card to ride anywhere on Table Mountain as far as I know. So not free.

Table mountain and the new route to Constantia neck are not free. You require an activity permit. You can have 3 other members on your permit which works out to around R300 a person for a years access. Each gets their own card. 

Please explain more about 3 other people on one activity card.

Or hold off buying an activity permit until TMNP start actually contributing something towards the trails and stop just taking the money and expecting free labour and cash for every issue/repair/change to the trails.

Not one single cent of your money goes into building, maintaining, signposting etc. Not one.

Bunch of parasites masquerading as an organization.

Please explain more about 3 other people on one activity card.

First person is full price the rest pay a reduced rate (just over R200 each).

You all need to have the usual photos etc and all get their own card.

You do not have to be related.

First person is full price the rest pay a reduced rate (just over R200 each).

You all need to have the usual photos etc and all get their own card.

You do not have to be related.

do you have to ride together?

Makes no sense really to me, we should just get hubbers together and pair up and split costs!