Trans Baviaans 2017

NixM

I see a lot of people are saying that the corrugation on the roads was really bad, taking that into consideration what would be the best front shock setup to handle that? would it be running lower pressure on shock and tires and a slow rebound or would a fast rebound be better?

There was a very high water bottle casualty rate (I went back 3 times to collect mine).

There was a lot of swerving from the left to the right and back to the middle again.

Lots of parallel freight trains (like the last 10km in a TdF stage).

There was quite a bit of swearing, Not so much of grinning, but lots of bearing it.

Some times there was no option, except to ride hard and skip over the top, while other times the frequency and amplitude of the bumps just about brought you to a stop.

And then there were patches where it was all Ok, and you thought that you could get through this and everything would be fine (and it was).

I ran 2.35" tyres on 30mm wide rims with slightly lower than usual pressure. I ride a Spez Camber, but i pumped the shocks up slightly harder than usual. I don't know if that improved or made things worse, but there were times where I thought that the combo worked well, and other times where there was nothing one could do to improve the situation.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Need some advice.

We paid a deposit to hertz car hire in PE for car rental with the idea of using the vehicle transfer service.

Hertz wants to see the driver of the vehicle transfer service in person once we collect the car.

First time we are using this service. I will try to get the guys from the vehicle transfer to confirm with hertz but I doubt they will accept it. Worst case we try a different car rental agency.

Anyone experienced the same problem before ?

Edited by GemmerK@t

Need some advice.

We paid a deposit to hertz car hire in PE for car rental with the idea of using the vehicle transfer service.

Hertz wants to see the driver of the vehicle transfer service in person once we collect the car.

First time we are using this service. I will try to get the guys from the vehicle transfer to confirm with hertz but I doubt they will accept it. Worst case we try a different car rental agency.

Anyone experienced the same problem before ?

Do they want to see the driver's ID / Drivers license?

Do they want to see the driver's ID / Drivers license?

Well they physically want the driver there with the ID / Driver license. Not sure if they are just being difficult. The vehicle transfer service can provide us the ID and Drivers license which to my knowledge should be sufficient ?

There was a very high water bottle casualty rate (I went back 3 times to collect mine).

There was a lot of swerving from the left to the right and back to the middle again.

There was quite a bit of swearing, Not so much of grinning, but lots of bearing it.

Some times there was no option, except to ride hard and skip over the top, while other times the frequency and amplitude of the bumps just about brought you to a stop.

And then there were patches where it was all Ok, and you thought that you could get through this and everything would be fine (and it was).

I ran 2.35" tyres on 30mm wide rims with slightly lower than usual pressure. I ride a Spez Camber, but i pumped the shocks up slightly harder than usual. I don't know if that improved or made things worse, but there were times where I thought that the combo worked well, and other times where there was nothing one could do to improve the situation.

Spot on. Looking back and dont think anything would help. Mens moet maar net jou kop sak , vas byt en die 1ste 100km agter die rug kry.

We found the best place to ride was in the "gutter", just had to keep an open eye for branches but it worked well

Well they physically want the driver there with the ID / Driver license. Not sure if they are just being difficult. The vehicle transfer service can provide us the ID and Drivers license which to my knowledge should be sufficient ?

We used Avis and they only required a copy of the persons drivers license..

We found the best place to ride was in the "gutter", just had to keep an open eye for branches but it worked well

Yep, got whipped by thorny branches a few times 

#Rule5  #HTFU

And so my adventure begins for this year's TB . . .  From what I read  . . . #Rule5  #HTFU ALL THE WAY !!!! 

Cheers vir eers !

ouch, take loads of warm layers for the week end coming otherwise night time will be way way way tooo cold

attachicon.gifWillowmoreSnow.jpeg

20kms outside Willowmore!

Luckily we had a balmy 13 degree ride....

And Saturday promises a nice 18km/h easterly breeze! 

Edited by TIB