Trans Baviaans 2017

NixM

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Savage had 2 teams klapping it around on the dirt. First bunch home in 10:35 and the other 13:45! Only one small fall. 

The corrugations were worse than last year and there was a lekker headwind coming into jeffries! 

Legs popped at 128km, but managed to nurse them the rest of the way to come in 10:35!

Savage had 2 teams klapping it around on the dirt. First bunch home in 10:35 and the other 13:45! Only one small fall. 

The corrugations were worse than last year and there was a lekker headwind coming into jeffries! 

Legs popped at 128km, but managed to nurse them the rest of the way to come in 10:35!

Pure Savage/RECM ?

That's good going!

I am sure that you missed Graeme's firepower - he was very bummed that he missed out.

Pure Savage/RECM ?

That's good going!

I am sure that you missed Graeme's firepower - he was very bummed that he missed out.

Yup! Thats the one! They offered me Graeme's spot, but with a sub 10 goal I was not that crazy! Also, road bikes are less than ideal I take it. Graeme's diesel would have come into its own at 150km!!

I see a lot of people are saying that the corrugation on the roads was really bad, taking that into consideration what would be the best front shock setup to handle that? would it be running lower pressure on shock and tires and a slow rebound or would a fast rebound be better?

Edited by Face Plant

In for my third Baviaans and this time on a single speed hard tail. Not sure which is worse, the SS or Hard Tail. I have a Lauf fro fork which is a dream on the corrugations but alas my rear is going to take some punishment. 

Will be running 34 oval 16 to check point 3 and then switch to 34 x 18 for the rest of the race.

I see a lot of people are saying that the corrugation on the roads was really bad, taking that into consideration what would be the best front shock setup to handle that? would it be running lower pressure on shock and tires and a slow rebound or would a fast rebound be better?

Suspension stem?

(Just saying)

I see a lot of people are saying that the corrugation on the roads was really bad, taking that into consideration what would be the best front shock setup to handle that? would it be running lower pressure on shock and tires and a slow rebound or would a fast rebound be better?

I'm gonna do a slightly lower tyre pressure than planned, makes a big difference on the front end....for me anyway!

I'm gonna do a slightly lower tyre pressure than planned, makes a big difference on the front end....for me anyway!

I was thinking the same EmptyB I am really confused as to rebound though :cursing:

Hi Legends.

I need a lift from the Western Cape to Willowmore and back from Jeffreys for the second TB.

Please let me know if you have something like that.

Very happy to share transport costs etc.

Regards,

Pierre.

064 752 7777.

Colleague of mine did it. He says the corrugation was from start to finish, and there was a headwind thrown in to spice things up. He did it in 13 odd hours.

TransB #5 done and dusted. Toughest road conditions up to checkpoint 2 thus far. Felt like riding a jackhammer over the first 100km. And with the headwind, it made for a tough day in the saddle.

The blocks they put down on the Fangs made that part easier, MAC is also in good condition with the repairs made, Mini Mac is also much better going with the loose rocks removed.

Make sure everything is bolted tight and enjoy the coming weekend boys and girls. 

Did the race with a 2.1 rear @ 1.5 bar and 2.25 front at 1.3 bar and not even that helped with those damm corrugations. Was riding long distances with suspension fully open but that did not eve help on those roads - was my 3rd and that first 100km's REALLY hurt but ended on 13:00:34.

I was thinking the same EmptyB I am really confused as to rebound though :cursing:

I would just stick with mid range settings, adjust on the ride if you really have to. Definitely not going with a fast rebound/stiff setup.