Trans Baviaans 2017

NixM

There is a lot of loose shale on the valley road in. Side wall cuts and punctures aren't unheard of (you will definitely see people fixing punctures along this stretch).

I've had a sidewall cut going up MAC before, and my partner has punctured going down MAC. I've also punctured on the flat dirt road about 40kms in, and my partner punctured 100m after the start of the gravel in Willowmoore. And last year we punctured cresting the second Fang.

Are you more prone to punctures at Baviaans? I don't know. 

I've ridden Conti's, Geax, Schwalbe, Maxis etc. Punctures are punctures, and just bad luck.

Maybe its the rims :P

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a lot of loose shale on the valley road in. Side wall cuts and punctures aren't unheard of (you will definitely see people fixing punctures along this stretch).

I've had a sidewall cut going up MAC before, and my partner has punctured going down MAC. I've also punctured on the flat dirt road about 40kms in, and my partner punctured 100m after the start of the gravel in Willowmoore. And last year we punctured cresting the second Fang.

I've ridden Conti's, Geax, Schwalbe, Maxis etc. Punctures are punctures, and just bad luck.

That's a lot of punctures!  Are you talking puncture as in having to stop and fix or more along the lines of a 'spray of sealant and it seals'?

Reason I ask is, between Boink and I we've had one actual puncture where we have had to stop and repair - this through 60 odd combined race days.  I know you guys hammer it and we cruise, but still?

poor line selection :D

I think you just had bad luck on your side...the baviaans is quite smooth in terms of punctures. 

This is Lauf-able acceptance of punctures  :ph34r:

*looks sheepishly at all the race snakes*

What is the width of your tires for the Race?

Edited by peetwindhoek

Today's 14-day forecast has gusts of 80km/hr WNW in Willowmore on 12th. Gonna be a fast start I guess. Some few rain in Jeffrey's too. What do the locals say about the weather?

Today's 14-day forecast has gusts of 80km/hr WNW in Willowmore on 12th. Gonna be a fast start I guess. Some few rain in Jeffrey's too. What do the locals say about the weather?

I heard that same thing last year and we ended up riding in a headwind.

14 days is a bit far in advance to have an accurate weather prediction.

You are just going to freak yourself out.

That's a lot of punctures!  Are you talking puncture as in having to stop and fix or more along the lines of a 'spray of sealant and it seals'?

Reason I ask is, between Boink and I we've had one actual puncture where we have had to stop and repair - this through 60 odd combined race days.  I know you guys hammer it and we cruise, but still?

Bear in mind I have ridden this race 13 times, so 4 punctures in 3000kms isn't too bad. I think.

This is Lauf-able acceptance of punctures  :ph34r:

Haven't punctured with the Lauf (and the tyre on the front is still from the 24hr World Champs in 2013!!)

poor line selection :D

I think you just had bad luck on your side...the baviaans is quite smooth in terms of punctures.

Like I said - I got a sidewall cut going UP MAC. There wasn't a stone to be seen for miles. I recall running to the checkpoint because the cut was too big to fix with a gaiter. Back in those days, our backup vehicles followed the same route. 

Maybe its the rims :P

Four different bikes. (Fifth bike this year). Although talking about rims - I've had to replace 2 rims because of Baviaans!

*looks sheepishly at all the race snakes*

What is the width of your tires for the Race?

*looks at EVERYBODY else*

What is the width if your tires for the Race?

Entry available for 1st round - all accom and foodstuffs arranged - just pay and hop in - team is mostly masters(quite fast I must add but not racing to win category) plse contact me, thx, Naas

Good self catering Accommodation in a resort available from Friday 11 Aug to Monday 14 Aug  in Jeffreys Bay for 4. 5km from the end.

Due to doctors orders I wont make the startline for the repeat. Anyone willing to buy my entry please contact me.

Our team was aiming for a 16hour ride.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Looking for accommodation for Sat 12 Aug in Jeffrys Bay.

3 people.

Any one not riding anymore and maybe have booked accommodation tbey want to sell.