Trans Baviaans 2017

NixM

Hi all,

Does anyone know of any accommodation for 4 people for TheRepeat??

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend sent this to me on Facebook. Apparently the fangs will be nice and easy this year, you can even use a road bike if you like :P

fangs was easy last year as well, as it turns out my partner & I were both new to the TB, the route profile was totally off scale & deceiving, made more difficult by twisting your neck to try & read it from the top tube. As a result we ended up riding over this Tiny little bumps & kms later we asked the riders around us as to when will we encounter this "beast" what an anticlimax.

fangs was easy last year as well, as it turns out my partner & I were both new to the TB, the route profile was totally off scale & deceiving, made more difficult by twisting your neck to try & read it from the top tube. As a result we ended up riding over this Tiny little bumps & kms later we asked the riders around us as to when will we encounter this "beast" what an anticlimax.

If you found the fangs easy then you're way ahead of us mere mortals and probably finish the event in 10 hours too

If you found the fangs easy then you're way ahead of us mere mortals and probably finish the event in 10 hours too

Well coming back from a Knee op a few months earlier, the goal was originally 15 hours, then trimmed down to 13 hours when we lined up, we did eventually finish in the 10 hour region. The problem is not that we found it easy its that we had no idea when we were actually riding it.

Nope. If you finish in less than 10 hours, I can guarantee you that Fangs isn't easy. Fangs is where the race explodes at the front. Any alliances that formed during the first 100kms are cancelled, and it's a massacre with bodies all over the place!

Well coming back from a Knee op a few months earlier, the goal was originally 15 hours, then trimmed down to 13 hours when we lined up, we did eventually finish in the 10 hour region. The problem is not that we found it easy its that we had no idea when we were actually riding it.

Sounds like your problem is map reading (although I'm quite sure you said a few posts previously that Fangs was "easy", and "tiny"). I expect a podium this year - stop loafing about on the hills and pedal (at the very least I expect tales of pukiness!).

Nope. If you finish in less than 10 hours, I can guarantee you that Fangs isn't easy. Fangs is where the race explodes at the front. Any alliances that formed during the first 100kms are cancelled, and it's a massacre with bodies all over the place!

Sounds like your problem is map reading (although I'm quite sure you said a few posts previously that Fangs was "easy", and "tiny"). I expect a podium this year - stop loafing about on the hills and pedal (at the very least I expect tales of pukiness!).

lol! same thing init? Anyway you should know better that you are only as fast as your partner allows.

lol! same thing init? Anyway you should know better that you are only as fast as your partner allows.

I wish I could blame my partner. I'm beginning to think that I'm the weak link at Baviaans. I need to find less fit friends!

I rest my case.

I probably find the fangs tough because I go over them in the dark.

No wait, maybe its that little kick up to 19% gradient and horrible terrain that gets to me.

Or maybe its psychological because I carry a picture of the profile and know that I'm busy riding them (read walking, pushing, stopping, crying a little)

Anyway, the point of my original post is that now they're all smooth and paved and nobody will ever experience the horror that pre 2017 riders had to endure*

*insert dramatic music here

C'est la vie 

I expect a podium this year -

It is about time you do it a bit quicker - then we'll have the race report sooner.. :thumbup:

Anyway, the point of my original post is that now they're all smooth and paved and nobody will ever experience the horror that pre 2017 riders had to endure*

*insert dramatic music here

C'est la vie 

*GASP*

Like when we used to ride the unpaved MAC (I actually got a sidewall cut going up there one year!).

It is about time you do it a bit quicker - then we'll have the race report sooner.. :thumbup:

The amount of time it takes me to write a race report is inversely proportional to the time it takes us to ride it. The faster we go, the less I look around and interact with my partner, and it's not easy to write a whole race report about eating handlebars and puking!

and we'll always have 'Langs-Baviaans' 

Man lets not go there!!!! I did the midnight express last weekend and all that fear and hatred return once going out  of the poort............the only difference this year was we went up during daylight and it was much drier than in 2011 but that was about that , the road is still sh@t....20 km and 866m ascending 

and we'll always have 'Langs-Baviaans' 

Langs was one of my hardest days on the bike...ever. I literally mean 'day'...we finished in 22 hours that year. We hooked up with another team of guys we knew so were 7 riders going at it together. We had - 3 x broken chains, 2 x guys falling their lights to pieces just before it got dark. 2 x other sets of lights failing around 03.00. Another set running out of battery life at 04.00. One x freehub not engaging unless you stand(luckily only after 190km). One guy falling into a mud pool and vanishing. 5 x punctures and 1 x sidewall cut. Rain. Cold.