Trans Baviaans 2017

NixM

Langs was one of my hardest days on the bike...ever. I literally mean 'day'...we finished in 22 hours that year. We hooked up with another team of guys we knew so were 7 riders going at it together. We had - 3 x broken chains, 2 x guys falling their lights to pieces just before it got dark. 2 x other sets of lights failing around 03.00. Another set running out of battery life at 04.00. One x freehub not engaging unless you stand(luckily only after 190km). One guy falling into a mud pool and vanishing. 5 x punctures and 1 x sidewall cut. Rain. Cold.

Now that's a blog post that needed writing!! Collectively, I don't think I have had to deal with that in 22 years of cycling!

How different the same race can be. Langs Baviaans was my best Baviaans yet (I still puked, just on a different hill), but we had a superb ride!

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Langs was one of my hardest days on the bike...ever. I literally mean 'day'...we finished in 22 hours that year. We hooked up with another team of guys we knew so were 7 riders going at it together. We had - 3 x broken chains, 2 x guys falling their lights to pieces just before it got dark. 2 x other sets of lights failing around 03.00. Another set running out of battery life at 04.00. One x freehub not engaging unless you stand(luckily only after 190km). One guy falling into a mud pool and vanishing. 5 x punctures and 1 x sidewall cut. Rain. Cold.

We didn't have any of the mechanical issues that you did and we still only finished in 21:50 that year. We entered as a 4 person team and finished as a 2 person team.

Will be our third one this year and decided to go the single speed route. Going to be tough but we have settled on a 34 oval -16 tooth set up.

Will be our third one this year and decided to go the single speed route. Going to be tough but we have settled on a 34 oval -16 tooth set up.

Why would you do this to yourself? I have 30 gears and often can't the right one!

please help a noob out, is it mandatory to have a support driver or is there a neutral truck for boxes? 

16 !!! I would put a 18 in the box just before the Fangs , else it's gonna be a long walk .

Also think that thing....

please help a noob out, is it mandatory to have a support driver or is there a neutral truck for boxes? 

Both.

There are unsupported checkpoints where the truck takes your box, and then there are supported checkpoints where you get stuff from your support driver. I have heard of people not having support drivers - check with Wikus.

We didn't have a support driver last year, we just sent our 3 boxes ahead to the stops with the truck.

If I recall, there are only one or two spots where you see your support people anyway...

We've done it without a support driver. We were fortunate though that friends of ours had a spare person that could drive our car to the finish, but we didn't see them at the checkpoint for support.

If anyone has an entry for two people into the Race weekend, we'd like to purchase an entry please. The stars weren't aligned at online entry time :-)