Man doping

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It makes a huge difference. I often ride with a female friend and provide a bit of extra help and inspiration. It takes about 5min off her time on a 55min segment at 24/5kph on a MTB. And yes, a lot of it is the mental side and the encouragement. Probably won't make a big difference in the technical stuff though.

Edited by Thor Buttox

With most MTB races having long flat district roads it's a huge advantage, have seen it been done lots of times.

Mmm.. this is a tricky one.. in the beginning hubby used to ride with me and on the technical bits in front of me, it helped me learn a lot seeing what line he would take and that does Def make you faster.. and yeah in the beginning it helps a lot with motivation.. I however was and never will be riding for podium.

We don't ride races together anymore unless it is a stage race of course.. then he has no choice but to ride with me.. also I don't really do races anymore either.

I don't think it's on when it comes to racing for podium.. also why I am glad the epic has changed the rules regarding the ladies race, they have their own start group and no interference by the men are allowed.

BUT I don't think it is a problem further down the field.

Edited by Gen

I'm not sure how much benifit wheel sucking on an mtb generates in terms of aerodynamics. If memory serves you only benifit if you're cursing at 35-40km/h minimum.

The last scientific article I read on this (has been a while), showed benefits of around 10% from speeds above 18km/h.

If there is a descent head wind...

The last scientific article I read on this (has been a while), showed benefits of around 10% from speeds above 18km/h.

If there is a descent head wind...

Ja it helps a lot having someone larger than you blocking the wind for you[emoji39]

Although lately hubby sits behind me when there is a headwind..something about me having to learn to deal with the wind myself[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

I don't think it's on when it comes to racing for podium.. also why I am glad the epic has changed the rules regarding the ladies race, they have their own start group and no interference by the men are allowed.

BUT I don't think it is a problem further down the field.

Agreed, mostly!

Just... when you've given every little bit of blood, sweat and screaming tears for 95 kays and with 5 to go, a couple sails past, guy pushing girl all the way, to beat you, to position 9 998, you might get a bit miffed, if not for long. You might soon forget, but the miffy smell stays miffy!

Agreed, mostly!

Just... when you've given every little bit of blood, sweat and screaming tears for 95 kays and with 5 to go, a couple sails past, guy pushing girl all the way, to beat you, to position 9 998, you might get a bit miffed, if not for long. You might soon forget, but the miffy smell stays miffy!

[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

You should grab on as they sail past man.. don't miss those opportunities[emoji6]

[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

You should grab on as they sail past man.. don't miss those opportunities[emoji6]

???? Oh boy!! I'll just say you said ????

Agreed, mostly!

That is a very different type of wind that smells miffy? If the lady behind has to deal with that...

That is a very different type of wind that smells miffy? If the lady behind has to deal with that...

Probably all us "has (never) beans" riding at the back!!

My wife and I did a mtb race recently. In the ladies category, one of the podium contenders's husband rode with her the whole race and she could just sit behind him riding slip all the way. My wife also got podium. She said she does not think she would have beaten the other girl if her husband was not there but she kind off settled for the minor positions knowing she is not going to beat this couple working together.

During prize giving they also won a catagory created for first couple in so the race organisers did not see any issue with it.

So my question is should men be allowed to "support" female podium contenders?

Just asking, did you and your wife ride together as well, or did you race/ride seperately?

I'm not sure how much benifit wheel sucking on an mtb generates in terms of aerodynamics. If memory serves you only benifit if you're cursing at 35-40km/h minimum.

Kmh or words per minute?

And slipstreaming is effective at much lower speeds, and any speed if there is a headwind.

Just asking, did you and your wife ride together as well, or did you race/ride seperately?

No, we always race separately. That way, we share different stories! I love listening to her thoughts and experiences of her own race.

We do train together over weekends.

During the week we both do our own thing as far as training goes.