Cape Town aims to become cycling super city!

Robbie Stewart

Ja, I can see people living in Khayelitsha taking a detour via DVille, wherever the farck that is, or going via Stellies. Can't you type in English without gansta illiterate slang?

But pray tell, with a google map, where this cycle super highway is? That's the problem with inviting comment and not engaging but instead posting smart arse replies with childish, mocking faces.

I have yet to go to Somerset West in any form of transport via R27, Tiekiedraai, DVille, Bottelary and Stellenbosch. No wonder blue collar commuters don't think of bicycles as a feasible method of transport.

Here we go, it has a wide shoulder and runs all the way from S/W to Claremont. 

post-11806-0-44263200-1484745862_thumb.jpg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and just about where it says 33.8km is where they would have your bike and phone off you and you would become a pedestrian ... ^_^ 

Here we go, it has a wide shoulder and runs all the way from S/W to Claremont. 

That's far more useful than childish little faces. However it is not a cycle super highway in the sense that it is safe to ride without interference from motor vehicles. And I would imagine the taxi industry would show an enhanced level of intolerance to increased commuters riding bikes on "their" route.

I have driven it a number of times. As brave as I am I don't think I'd ride it in it's current state.

Ja, I can see people living in Khayelitsha taking a detour via DVille, wherever the farck that is, or going via Stellies. Can't you type in English without gansta illiterate slang?

But pray tell, with a google map, where this cycle super highway is? That's the problem with inviting comment and not engaging but instead posting smart arse replies with childish, mocking faces.

I have yet to go to Somerset West in any form of transport via R27, Tiekiedraai, DVille, Bottelary and Stellenbosch. No wonder blue collar commuters don't think of bicycles as a feasible method of transport.

I am restraining myself from making wise crack about your childish tantrum that you seem to chuck about on a regular basis. If you cannot clearly distinguish between a fact, and what was meant as a sarcastic joke, then really guy, grow up, FFS!!!

You have a tendency to think yours is the only opinion that matters, and frankly, I personally think you are full of SH*T, and should perhaps stop thinking so much of yourself.

Cock!

Cpt has the bellville velodrome.  Steep, fast and indoor.  Train summer, winter, wind snow.....whatever

There, fixed it. Only snow you gonna find in CPT is on the very tops of the mountains, and they are not very conducive to training.  But as for the wind...well

I am restraining myself from making wise crack about your childish tantrum that you seem to chuck about on a regular basis. If you cannot clearly distinguish between a fact, and what was meant as a sarcastic joke, then really guy, grow up, FFS!!!

You have a tendency to think yours is the only opinion that matters, and frankly, I personally think you are full of SH*T, and should perhaps stop thinking so much of yourself.

Cock!

I can smell Friday....

Cock!

Restraining yourself? Maybe just not sharp enough which is why you resort to pathetic little comments with pictures. Start a serious post inviting comment then immediately follow that up with a ridiculous reply to a perfectly valid expectation of what Cape Town needs before it has a chance of being a cycling super city.

My opinion is the only one that matters? Not at all. But I do wish you were eloquent enough for me to know what your opinion is. Rather than making silly sarcastic jokes that add little to the debate that you invited.

I can smell Friday....

There are quite a few threads which have the vibrating lid of a saucepan about them; should be quite an entertaining Friday...

Cops and security have been a regular visible presence on the cycle lane from Paarden Eiland to the exit these past weeks. Including weekends.

Unfortunately the fence has been bent right back at the base of the railway bridge (northern side).

A colleague reported it today.

Numbers to call for vandalism, crime etc.

METRORAIL CRIME STOP    0800 21 00 81 (all hours) Toll Free

SAPS CRIME STOP               0860 01 01 11

SAPS [Cape Town Station]     021 449 5111

CORPORATE SECURITY     Cape Town     021 449 4336 (all hours)

posted this via twitter and it has been noted they will attend to the fence ... pics taken below ... tried to pull the fence back in place, but it would not budge. ended up pulling the fence back so that it would not hang out onto the lane, and cable tied this place.....also tied some bags lying around to the "foot" of the fence that is in the lane, so that it is more visible.

post-5403-0-83569300-1484810387_thumb.jpg

post-5403-0-12928300-1484810467_thumb.jpg

The city, in my opinion not wanting to be a cock here, is really failing miserably in creating and maintaining a safe cycling vibe.  They spend millions to create the infrastructure, and then just move on to something else.  No maintenance or repair plan in place.  It is like it was on someone's job performance agreement to complete, box ticked, move on.

They nor any of the formal cycling bodies in CPT care one hoot about our safety.  We are on our own here.  Sad but true...

I am so sick to see the cycle path go backwards, week, by week, day by day...  At least soon it will be a MTB Track with obstacles, and **** like that...

The city, in my opinion not wanting to be a cock here, is really failing miserably in creating and maintaining a safe cycling vibe.  They spend millions to create the infrastructure, and then just move on to something else.  No maintenance or repair plan in place.  It is like it was on someone's job performance agreement to complete, box ticked, move on.

They nor any of the formal cycling bodies in CPT care one hoot about our safety.  We are on our own here.  Sad but true...

I am so sick to see the cycle path go backwards, week, by week, day by day...  At least soon it will be a MTB Track with obstacles, and **** like that...

the big thing here it to constantly report issues to the city. on numerous occasions I have reported maintenance issues, and these have been sorted out. best way is to make yourself heard in a clear way. use social media and then also follow the channels. the city I feel does care, but they are also learning in the whole process.

also a shameless plug here, but please follow me on @CTCycleLanes, and use this medium as a method to pick up maintenance issues, etc.

https://twitter.com/CTCycleLanes

Restraining yourself? Maybe just not sharp enough which is why you resort to pathetic little comments with pictures. Start a serious post inviting comment then immediately follow that up with a ridiculous reply to a perfectly valid expectation of what Cape Town needs before it has a chance of being a cycling super city.

My opinion is the only one that matters? Not at all. But I do wish you were eloquent enough for me to know what your opinion is. Rather than making silly sarcastic jokes that add little to the debate that you invited.

Seriously carbon, at this point it is your rants at his lame little joke that is derailing the thread - how about just ignoring the comments you dont find useful?

Hairy, I do follow that particular twitter link, and have given up reporting stuff.

THE CITY DOES NOT CARE!

don't stop bugging them with requests. the least it will do is give those who are trying to mandate better systems some ammo when they are fighting the good fight.

thanks for following ... this year it will be a more active account, and hopefully make a fraction of a difference.

Archived