Cyclists down on bottelary road, stellenbosch

andydude

Can I suggest removing the pictures of the car.  Could it not jeopardize the case that it might favour the culprits.  Someone with law experience to commentate or give advice.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Shane,

Condolence on your loss and the extended family, truly a terrible incident. 

A friend and myself witnessed that Black Velocity Gold drive off from the scene and we chased it all the way to Bloekombos where we lost it in the township.

Here's the car in question, the damage to the left windscreen and mirror can be seen.

The first photo is as he entered back onto the road from the accident scene.

The second photo is as he was heading into Kraaifontein

Let me know if I can assist in any way.

Great work  :thumbup:  hope they get convicted and sentenced to the maximum

Can I suggest removing the pictures of the car.  Could it not jeopardize the case that it might favour the culprits.  Someone with law experience to commentate or give advice.

Why, photos of the car are already on FB and the person on the scene admitted to it being his car?

Why, photos of the car are already on FB and the person on the scene admitted to it being his car?

More a question than anything else.  It is difficult enough getting a conviction and propper sentence for these things.  Would hate to see this happen here.  If there is no implication then sure enough flash them all over the net..

RIP Gregory Basson 

Yet another senseless killing of a cyclist on a road that is used by hundreds of cyclists over the weekend.

PPA needs to put some serious pressure on government and start to use OUR money for OUR benefit.

If you guys get permission from the loved ones to erect a Ghost Bike in honor of Gregory, I have an unused Mtb frame (26'er) taking up valuable space.

Will need donation of fork (rigid), wheels, seatpost, saddle, stem, handlebar and cranks.

Stuff will probably need to be welded on to prevent theft of said components.

Best part is, frame is white already, just remove decals on it.

Unfortunately my friend Greg passed away shortly after we arrived at the hospital. My injuries I can deal with. 

I am so sorry for your loss. It feels so senseless and frustrating. 

I want to make a call on all cyclists who have lost a friend, had an incident or know of someone who has passed. Let’s establish 1 day a year where all cycle in unity across the country in memory of the fallen cyclists. If students and employees can disrupt traffic with marches for various causes, surely we can also cycle in UNITY to make motorists aware that we are also entitled to be on the roads.

I would partake in this. Maybe set a date in the future and start the event on as many social media platforms as we can. We could reach out to corporates to help raise awareness and promote the event internally. Maybe we could even get 94.7 to run a campaign for the event and raise awareness. Just before November would be good (before the 94.7 race?). 

will an 8speed road cassette work?

It does not need to be a fully functioning bike, things like cassettes, etc is not necessary.

It just needs to resemble a complete bike.

Smurfy, seems you have this one sewn up. I can get my frame to you, and you can take it to Cyclosport. They must just weld it up nice and tight....

Who is going to try and get the Family's permission?

We can then organize a "Protest Ride" to go and erect the Ghostbike.