mecheng89

"I take my 20 seconds of wind somewhere on the course.

It is not just good for my confidence, but also good for my engine. "

I agree Dale

Wheel suckers don't ever get their engines fired up and don't raise their HR.

SO NO VITALITY SMOOTHIE FOR YOU SUCKER!!!

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think batches should be smaller. I know this is not always possible due to the sheer amount of entries which needs to get set off but I think the batches are too big making for a too big variety of levels of cyclists.

Perhaps loading 2 batches at a time (splitting current batch in 2) setting them off @ 1min intervals??? thus the "B" batch still leave 2 min after "A" but 1min after "AB"

Gives everyone a visible goal to chase up the road as 1min should still be in sight...

Edited by s14phoenix

The big problem with wheelsuckers is the modern day king of wheelsuckers now has his own race and gets to commentate on it with half of PnP and Matt the Aussie. Unfortunately he has not worked out/been told that you don't clear your throat when on air constructing simple sentences. And you don't do it every sentence.

And that is enough reason not to be a wheel sucker.

However, if a cyclist passes me without any acknowledgement of my presence then he is fair game to wheelsuck and jump near the top when he's knackered from trying to drop me and I'm fresh from being towed for a while. Manners on the road matter.

I think batches should be smaller. I know this is not possible due to the amount of entries which needs to get set off but I think the batches are too big making for a too big variety of levels of cyclists.

Perhaps loading 2 batches at a time (splitting current batch in 2) setting them off @ 1min intervals??? thus the "B" batch still leave 2 min after "A" but 1min after "AB"

Gives everyone a visible goal to chase up the road as 1min should still be in sight...

This x a bajillion!

If you don't have full road closure, 50-70 people MAX per batch. For full road closure maybe 100 max.

On another note -> the voodoo behind seeding also need to fall and penalties should be incurred sooner on old races. Too many people getting seeding advantage on "old" form. And not many people understand the seeding scores at all...

Back in the good old days we used to solve this issue in a number of ways, unfortunately today cyclists are just too well mannered. The following steps should be followed

1. ask the wheel sucker to come through for a pull
  2. swear at said wheel sucker
  3. give said wheel sucker a snot rocket
  4. make them ride in the gutter
  5. push them off the road
  6. drop your pump into their front wheel 

Spoken like a true trackie :clap: You forgot to mention the head butting and elbow shoving :whistling: Basically if their bike costs more than yours you have nothing to lose.

Edited by blondeonabike

Dont really care about wheel suckers, only time they become a nuisance is when they sit in the paceline and jump on brakes or swerve when it comes to their turn on the front. Just peel of straight away, no hard feelings.

9/10 times we would have poured our souls out over 98% of the course and got a lekker suffer score and maybe lose 5 seconds in the sprint, so be it if lose a few spots. Less crashes and admin. 

When everyone gets in the car to go home, they don't remember the person who won, they remember who pulled the group apart. :D

Also, if you write the race reports you can make up who won anyway in the alphabet soup :D

Hope you still have that attitude at DC. :devil: :ph34r: :whistling:

Good read this thread. It reminded me of my brothers race. He had a lovely wheelsucker right up his poephole the whole last drag and round the final turn wanted to make a pass. Mike did not entertain it :clap:

post-45359-0-38767000-1485867418_thumb.jpg

Edit: remove numbers

Edited by cmckowen

what about training rides. you work up front in the wind, work yourself to a pulp. when u all spent the suckers pass u and leave u to struggle home alone

i then put a cross next to your name,,, next week u will suffer

I agree Dale

Wheel suckers don't ever get their engines fired up and don't raise their HR.

SO NO VITALITY SMOOTHIE FOR YOU SUCKER!!!

my HR definitely goes up and I do get my smoothies for the week :ph34r:

I take my 20 seconds of wind somewhere on the course.

It is not just good for my confidence, but also good for my engine.

And the overall performance gains of the bunch.

And, because we are not paid to play a role like a roleur at Ettix Floors, the average amateur is not compelled.

And there are certain unspoken rules / customs in the tradition of cycling e.g. take your turn.

Take your turn. It is good for you and everybody else.

Wow, 20 whole seconds? And then you have the temerity to say take your turn.

Typical fun ride: 100km

Average speed for Argus for a sub 3 (less than 1,000 do this, in fact Trevor Ransom did 2:59:59 for 843rd in 2016): 36.34 kph

For your 20 seconds to be "taking your turn" means a bunch size of 495 riders.

Just for clarity, in a bunch of 200 at the Argus each rider needs to be in the wind for just under a minute not to be a wheelsucker.  Then we factor in that half the batch gets dropped before halfway and a half of those who made it through Sun Valley will get dropped on Chappies, anyone who finishes in the front quarter would have had to be on the sharp end for just under 3 minutes during the course. Otherwise they did not do their share and can be called Cadel.

In a fun ride with 100 in the batch this stretches to just under 2 minutes with no dropped riders. With dropped riders it gets out 5 or 6 minutes.

Reality is there are roughly 20 riders who do the work, 10 of them a bit less than the other 10 and there are often 3 or 4 very strong on the day who eventually ride away on a slope or into some wind.

yoh .....we naming and shaming now....why is it not happening on the local hubber thread? :cursing:

15 posts. He'll learn.

Bouckaert indeed - the 72 or whatever it is - whatever you do - don't suck my wheel.

I'm too scared to come close to anybody!

72 for me too.