mecheng89

Agreed, its a very fine line to tread. I think the original question was about people just sitting on and getting a free ride the entire fun ride just to sprint for line honors for the F batch.

*Rant on* Valverde's blood bad was sitting in Siberia, so will wait till July when they release the results of the blood tests. I just dont trust Mr Peak the whole season. *Rant over*

LOL.... YES and there's that.... the doping side of things! But I'm sure way more threads have been started or ended up there.  :)  :rolleyes:

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL.... YES and there's that.... the doping side of things! But I'm sure way more threads have been started or ended up there.  :)  :rolleyes:

Thats why I used the * ... * :D

Wheelsuckers........workers....sprinters....winners.....

blah blah blah.

Unless you are an Elite rider doing it for a profession, "winning" is just the person who is first over a line drawn on the road. You'll soon be forgotton.

As I see it.....you have 2 types of riders. Those who sit in the bunch and do nothing and just gets sucked along for the time. They are normally the guys that are first to brag about their good time.

This first guy will sometimes win races when he sprints after sitting on his ass for 3 hours racing "clever" in an open seeded bunch (hahahhaha....hahhahaha....BAHAHHAH)

But he will not get fitter or stronger and most often he will not have the respect of his fellow rider.

The second rider is the one that TRIES to get away. Tries to race positive from the front trying to break or to get a gap or chase down etc.

This second guy rarely wins but always try to do something. Anything.

This second guy is mostly recognised by his fellow riders as a strong rider that races positive.

In the end it is ALL FOR FUN.

So if you enjoy to wheelsuck and brag about your funride win and good time.....you go boy.

If you love making the racing and being active and try break aways......you go boy.

But no use bitching about the other type of rider's strategy.

My 2c.

Exactly....

First guy needs a blap, second guy a bj!

And FFS guys stop comparing Pro racing tactics to those of open seeded funriders trying to get a good time.

Jislaaik - and I thought I was just going on a long ride with some other mamils on Sunday in Paarl. Good job I read this thread - I now know that as soon as I am behind someone I must either slow down or speed up.

Been googling echelon and paceline and peleton tactics - at least now I can speak the lingo if not walk ride the talk.

It all comes down to if you're racing for position or time.

If it's position then use all the tactics - if you're little guy smash the hills to burn off the sprinters - if you're a muscle chump gutter the little guys off on the flats - if you're a **** then sit in the bunch doing sweet blow all until the sprint.

If it's time then any and all work you do on the front makes your time faster. By sitting in you'll beat most of the guys in your group but end up with a slower time.

Anyone quoting pros in the wheel sucker debate knows diddly squat about cycling..

Harry my man, you said that so well for a hacker like me!

Well said Counsellor and Oom I agree. Some of us ride to enjoy it and live another day, so we don't have time for Prima Donna's and their k@k...

Jislaaik - and I thought I was just going on a long ride with some other mamils on Sunday in Paarl. Good job I read this thread - I now know that as soon as I am behind someone I must either slow down or speed up.

Been googling echelon and paceline and peleton tactics - at least now I can speak the lingo if not walk ride the talk.

Having meandered along in a peloton, and having accidentally ridden off the front on the flats, I can tell you there are far more pressing issues:

A) avoid cat-eyes - a 70km solo TT is not as much fun as it is made out to be if you puncture

B) if the Pure Savage monk... monks of cycling nirvana are in your group, be prepared for pain

C) crashing is far more unpleasant than being a wheelsucker

D) being a Mamil is not as bad as cycling behind a guy in white lycra in the rain

E) crosswinds are a beeeeyatch

F) winning group Z-reserves by a sneaky last 50m attack is about as impressive as getting a KOM of your driveway. Even if you have a long driveway.

True on those occasions, but remember there are lots of other considerations at world champs, like its raced as nations, not trade teams, so Peter only has one other Slovak there to ride for him, you will not see any favourite sitting in the paceline. 

Then in the classics we saw a lot of him for large portions of these races he won as he demolished his opponents:

1st Tour of Flanders 1st Gent–Wevelgem    

When you ride someone off your wheel you are the opposite of a wheel sucker. 

If you're a caveman yes.

So you've never seen a break away where one of the guys soft pedals a little to save some energy to break from the break group near the end?

Its called tactics. Cycling is a thinking game ... sometimes strong cavemen win.... but only sometimes.

Unless of course in the group of 8 guys one rider has a team mate up the road, in which case he becomes a non-sucking wheel sucker and won't contribute.

Exactly....

First guy needs a blap, second guy a bj!

And FFS guys stop comparing Pro racing tactics to those of open seeded funriders trying to get a good time.

3 wise men quoted above. You chose them.

The only sport where most participants compare themselves to pros on a daily basis.

Sure we can ride the same routes that they ride, on mostly the same kit and can even dress like they do. Yes it's surprising how many fat okes I see in full Sky kit square pedalling their Pinarello F8s up Suikerbossie.

But we are not them.  There is a massive difference between even the weakest pro and the best A batch rider. Never mind those of us further down the index.  Anyone know

Yet we pretend to race based on how the pros do it. Anyone know William Robinson?

The only koms i have are of my driveway and the private segments i set up just to see a crown in my feed.

Do you think the group will wait for me at the top of the hills like my mtb friends do?

If i encounter any savages i will adopt a freeze or flee strategy.

I can also confirm that once you've finished last in an event racing holds no further fears.

I just hope whatever group of the ailing and infirm i manage to hold on to will forgive my noobishness and understand that even socially i've never been good at groups.

Having meandered along in a peloton, and having accidentally ridden off the front on the flats, I can tell you there are far more pressing issues:

A) avoid cat-eyes - a 70km solo TT is not as much fun as it is made out to be if you puncture

B) if the Pure Savage monk... monks of cycling nirvana are in your group, be prepared for pain

C) crashing is far more unpleasant than being a wheelsucker

D) being a Mamil is not as bad as cycling behind a guy in white lycra in the rain

E) crosswinds are a beeeeyatch

F) winning group Z-reserves by a sneaky last 50m attack is about as impressive as getting a KOM of your driveway. Even if you have a long driveway.

So...Wheel Sucking:

Here is the story,

During a ride this week as we approached a very famous climb in CT  per accident found myself behind a very famous HUB member waiting for the robot to change Green.

As the Robot was about the change another cyclist from the opposite direction started the climb ahead of both of us, we then charged along ,closed the gap and Wheel Sucked him dry, when he eventually popped we passed him and I sat behind my fellow hub friend until he popped and then passed him.

So on this Wheel Sucking Debate ...how do you guys see that?

Was I a sucker... bear in mind front guys did pop meaning they were trying to ride me off

Should I have gone to the front and do my share? 

Climb length +- 5/6min depending on WPKG

So...Wheel Sucking:

Here is the story,

During a ride this week as we approached a very famous climb in CT  per accident found myself behind a very famous HUB member waiting for the robot to change Green.

As the Robot was about the change another cyclist from the opposite direction started the climb ahead of both of us, we then charged along ,closed the gap and Wheel Sucked him dry, when he eventually popped we passed him and I sat behind my fellow hub friend until he popped and then passed him.

Was I a sucker... bear in mind front guys did pop meaning they were trying to ride me off

How fat was the other two?

So...Wheel Sucking:

Here is the story,

A judicious bit of wheel-sucking on a training ride, up a hill, where the benefits of wheel sucking are reduced, with randoms you come across on the ride......all part of the games we can play on a ride. After all it's not a 'race'.

It's akin to using other riders as 'training targets' for fun, or trying to drop random okes, or your mates, on a hill to push yourself for fun, as you experienced. 

However, as an example, going past the oke whilst shouting 'booyaa!', would not be cool, unless it's your mate and a beer is at stake!

The only sport where most participants compare themselves to pros on a daily basis.

Sure we can ride the same routes that they ride, on mostly the same kit and can even dress like they do. Yes it's surprising how many fat okes I see in full Sky kit square pedalling their Pinarello F8s up Suikerbossie.

But we are not them.  There is a massive difference between even the weakest pro and the best A batch rider. Never mind those of us further down the index.  Anyone know

Yet we pretend to race based on how the pros do it. Anyone know William Robinson?

Despite it being Friday, I'm not biting.

Stop worrying about other people, their kit and their bikes.

Lmfao ???????????????????????? that's the funniest quote on this thread classic ????????????????????????

William Robinson that rides for Pure Savage :D

Archived