Is Steel Real?

Hairy

Steel and Your Views  

273 members have voted

1. 1. Have you owned a steel bike before?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Would you consider, or do you plan to own a steel bike?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Do you think steel bikes are sexy?

• Hell Yes
    • Stupid question, naturally Steel Bike are Sexy!
    • I drool when looking at Steel Bikes

This is steel!!

And it's real!!

so excited you had to take photos on the dark.. Looks awesome

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So a friend is looking for advice on getting a new tourer/commuter.

She lives in Vancouver.

So obviously I'm googling all the bikeshops that her local friends are suggesting - because N+1 and all of that. (my advice was steel, the rest will work itself out)

Then I remembered the time I had a steel tourer/commuter, in Vancouver. I got the whole shebang for like $200 and rode it all round the city, trips to the island and eventually Alaska. Everything, from the bike (DB Topanga) to the rack/panniers + clothing!

It was almsot all from a really cool 2nd hand shop - which I know just found on FB again, they're still going! They have this awesome pricing system, where the longer stuff sits, the cheaper it gets! It was exactly like this in 2004, still got a dot matrix printer going

https://www.facebook.com/cheapskatesvancouver/

16507978_1293086710752653_21966391872803

oh ja, so here is my bike. I might have posted it here before, but hell who cares

post-1830-0-19461100-1452277841_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So a friend is looking for advice on getting a new tourer/commuter.

She lives in Vancouver.

So obviously I'm googling all the bikeshops that her local friends are suggesting - because N+1 and all of that. (my advice was steel, the rest will work itself out)

Then I remembered the time I had a steel tourer/commuter, in Vancouver. I got the whole shebang for like $200 and rode it all round the city, trips to the island and eventually Alaska. Everything, from the bike (DB Topanga) to the rack/panniers + clothing!

It was almsot all from a really cool 2nd hand shop - which I know just found on FB again, they're still going! They have this awesome pricing system, where the longer stuff sits, the cheaper it gets! It was exactly like this in 2004, still got a dot matrix printer going

https://www.facebook.com/cheapskatesvancouver/

16507978_1293086710752653_21966391872803

oh ja, so here is my bike. I might have posted it here before, but hell who cares

My first mtb, DB Topanga paid R1000 in '91

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hoping to finish this babe in the next couple of weeks.

That De Rosa looks to be my size (54-55). If so please bubble wrap the frame immediately. I will send my courier to collect asap.

Yip i loved the old steel frames , Reynolds Tubing or Columbus SLX they were the bikes to have . Only ever broke one frame in nearly 25 years of racing on them . Repairs could only be done  by real specialized frame builders or you scraped it and upgraded to a newer model or make . My first good frame was a Dutch manufacturer called RIH  ( that is the one i broke , hit a car from behind going down Queen Str ) . My last road bike was a Colnago with Shimano Dura Ace group set . I did thousands of kilometers on it and eventually sold it to a collector of steel frame Colmago's 

post-111826-0-79704900-1502907267_thumb.jpg

post-111826-0-44376600-1502907293_thumb.jpeg

Yip i loved the old steel frames , Reynolds Tubing or Columbus SLX they were the bikes to have . Only ever broke one frame in nearly 25 years of racing on them . Repairs could only be done  by real specialized frame builders or you scraped it and upgraded to a newer model or make . My first good frame was a Dutch manufacturer called RIH  ( that is the one i broke , hit a car from behind going down Queen Str ) . My last road bike was a Colnago with Shimano Dura Ace group set . I did thousands of kilometers on it and eventually sold it to a collector of steel frame Colmago's 

Three beautiful ladies!!!!

RIH

Colnago

Renault R8 Gordini

Don't seem to build such sexy machines anymore.

Three beautiful ladies!!!!

RIH

Colnago

Renault R8 Gordini

Don't seem to build such sexy machines anymore.

Thanks yip i enjoyed those bikes . especially my RIH with full Campage in those days . Im glad you recognized the Gordini its my all time non muscle car favourite . I never owned one but im looking to buy one for a customer but they are as scarce as hens teeth and cost from R250K up for an original matching numbers model . 

Thanks yip i enjoyed those bikes . especially my RIH with full Campage in those days . Im glad you recognized the Gordini its my all time non muscle car favourite . I never owned one but im looking to buy one for a customer but they are as scarce as hens teeth and cost from R250K up for an original matching numbers model . 

Haa, I have an RIH and a couple of Colnagos, but I don't have a Gordini.

Had one, many years ago (1971/73), 1500 full race engine. Loved that car, especially the double fuel tank. Used to leave varsity in Durban at about 5pm, drive all night, fill up again in Petersburg (Polokwane I believe now), reach Beitbridge about 6am, then straight through, home.

Had it for about 2, 3 years, then a mate who had a Mini Cooper 1275 wanted a race, he drove the Gordini, I drove the Cooper. He popped a gudgeon pin!!!! I was a student, had no money, so had to sell it.

Damn!!!

Such is life.

Can anyone assist, who is the new Ritchey agent? I'm looking for a 53cm road logic frame set.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...