The Return of the ST-R 29 Hardtail? Steel Is Real!

henningvr

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like the fact that full cable outer's can be run for the gears, I'm not strong enough to run it SS and must say after a dusty ride with some water added (from water bottle) the gears changes do get sticky (a wash sorts it out quickly enough).

Can't say that the water bottle bosses ever bothered me but have to agree that they are a little off-center (but that actually worked out nicely on my medium/19" frame not fitted with side-load cages).

Nice frame, but I also love the Contraband Rogue, will be tough to choose between the two (especially if you run gears).

Don't think I will get rid of my v1 frame, was thinking of making that a monster-cross (maybe with rigid steel fork like the Surley Krampus) and just running skinnier tyres like 2.0s or 1.9s with a faster rolling tread.

Interested to see those  field testing builds!

Weld quality?

I just wanted to put it out there...

I have never owned / ridden a steel frame before.  However, I always wondered about one.  A friend of mine has been on his for around 8years I think he mentioned, and has been riding it all this time with minimal changes.  This inspired me, as I would too like something that would satisfy for such a lengthy period.  He rides rigid too, and he knows how to ride! :thumbup:

The welds...

Well I can tell you that it looks very neatly done.  (Compared to my trail bike, with welds I do like as well) 

The specs shows that the top Tube (TT) is 610mm, I measured 590mm may 595mm but nothing more than that.  rear chainstay (CS) is 435mm, same as trail bike.  So its short, I like!!

Seattube (ST) sits at 435mm, which sits between an inbred 16" and 18". 

Im not a fan of the frames brake hose cable routing option.  Looks like Momsen intended to run the hose under the TT and then down the seatstay (SS).  Would've looked nice running the hose like how I have it now, and removing the frame hose bosses under the TT and SS.   Dropper... in not gonna run one yet,  but im definitely routing it under the downtube (DT) as well.

The build:

You guys are making me shy to post pics.. lol.  it is a commuter, so my components are crappy.  basically im just throwing on what I can find, and what I can afford at the moment.  Just so by the way.. "Kaggel",  "Brett" at Olympic cycles,  SJ at Rev Cycles in town..  Thanks for helping me, may you guys be rewarded in abundance.

Edited by TAAHIRWP

Did I mention:

HA at 69deg, which is 2deg steeper than my trail bike and 2deg slacker than an inbred..

ST angle at 74deg and bike is designed around a 120 to 130mm travel with 34mm stanchion fork preferably...

Did I mention:

HA at 69deg, which is 2deg steeper than my trail bike and 2deg slacker than an inbred..

ST angle at 74deg and bike is designed around a 120 to 130mm travel with 34mm stanchion fork preferably...

This is mine

GEOMETRY (Suggested fork travel: 120-140mm)

A-Headtube angle: 69.5°

B-Headtube length: 120mm

C-Top tube (Effective): 16.5"/570mm, 17.5"/590mm, 19"/610mm

D-Seat tube angle: 72.5°

E-Seat tube length: 16.5"/419.1mm, 17.5"/444.5mm, 19"/482.6mm

F-Wheelbase: 16.5"/1034mm, 17.5"/1054mm, 19"/1074mm

G-Chainstay: 420mm

H-BB Height: 311.3mm (-19mm)

Was a bit worried about the HA, but that should change once I fit the fork

DWYM

I.... Must.... Not... Break... The.... Bank!!!  but its....  Broken...  already!!! :oops:  :oops:

No Commuting km for the... week yet...  eish!!! :cursing:

I.... Must.... Not... Break... The.... Bank!!!  but its....  Broken...  already!!! :oops:  :oops:

No Commuting km for the... week yet...  eish!!! :cursing:

ride it like you stole it !

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Since we seem to be posting deets here are mine:

Running A 140mm fork at 25% sag

Seat tube : 480mm

Top tube : 631mm

Head angle : 68

Seat angle : 71

Chainstay: 428mm

BB Drop : 25mm 

Head tube : 120mm

Reach : 428.8mm

Stack : 597.2

Edited by BaGearA

Taahir is running a rigid fork on his. I wish he would have put on a suspension fork, maybe he can adapt a headshock.

That lock ring is installed incorrectly on the dropout - goes below the spring, and locks the screw against the dropout.

Well spotted. I didnt even notice