Candidate for new Supercycling anchor

Chris NewbyFraser

Super Cycling had a few fundamental issues / flaws / shortcomings:

1. Andrew being strongly linked with Cycle Lab limited their ability to get good honest equipment reviews done. Its no good reviewing the latest Spesh if the lab cannot have it on the floor.

2. Presenters made a very concerted effort to only brush over controversial and sensitive topics like doping, motorised doping, Tour of SA being cancelled, etc. If these topics were dealt with in a more robust and open fashion, the avid cyclist may have remained interested. (Think of how Nick Mallett speaks his mind on Boots and All or whatever its called these days).

3. They never really did any proper build-up towards major events. This goes hand in hand with our races not getting live airtime. Now if they could have a live broadcast with a little panel discussion before / after the event every weekend, they would almost by default get the viewer numbers up. Live content is expensive to produce, but pulls numbers No-one wants to see the same show repeated 5 times a week anymore.

4. Presenters were just dull! I have met many characters in cycling that could have made it more fun / entertaining (think Top Gear type of format).

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Andrew being strongly linked with Cycle Lab limited their ability to get good honest equipment reviews done. Its no good reviewing the latest Spesh if the lab cannot have it on the floor.

2. Presenters made a very concerted effort to only brush over controversial and sensitive topics like doping, motorised doping, Tour of SA being cancelled, etc. If these topics were dealt with in a more robust and open fashion, the avid cyclist may have remained interested. (Think of how Nick Mallett speaks his mind on Boots and All or whatever its called these days).

3. They never really did any proper build-up towards major events. This goes hand in hand with our races not getting live airtime. Now if they could have a live broadcast with a little panel discussion before / after the event every weekend, they would almost by default get the viewer numbers up. Live content is expensive to produce, but pulls numbers No-one wants to see the same show repeated 5 times a week anymore.

4. Presenters were just dull! I have met many characters in cycling that could have made it more fun / entertaining (think Top Gear type of format).

Agree fully. Especially point 2.

That really sums it up

I stopped watching it a long time ago for all those reasons.

Most rugby fans don't know how a computer or the internet works.  :ph34r:  :whistling:

As a rugby fan: Nowadays I also do not know how the rules or competitions work anymore......

:eek:

That really sums it up

I stopped watching it a long time ago for all those reasons.

So you never got to see the new presenters and the improvement they made?

So you never got to see the new presenters and the improvement they made?

funny man

But I think bikehub admin can tap into the market for an online show hey.

1. Andrew being strongly linked with Cycle Lab limited their ability to get good honest equipment reviews done. Its no good reviewing the latest Spesh if the lab cannot have it on the floor. Gear Reviews were not great in general. 

2. Presenters made a very concerted effort to only brush over controversial and sensitive topics like doping, motorised doping, Tour of SA being cancelled, etc. If these topics were dealt with in a more robust and open fashion, the avid cyclist may have remained interested. (Think of how Nick Mallett speaks his mind on Boots and All or whatever its called these days). Owen commenting on dopers? LOL

3. They never really did any proper build-up towards major events. This goes hand in hand with our races not getting live airtime. Now if they could have a live broadcast with a little panel discussion before / after the event every weekend, they would almost by default get the viewer numbers up. Live content is expensive to produce, but pulls numbers No-one wants to see the same show repeated 5 times a week anymore. Our local races, especially MTB, generate income, these races should look at producing their own race specific content to broadcast outside off the "generic SuperCycling" slot, keep the she about news, discussions, gear etc.

4. Presenters were just dull! I have met many characters in cycling that could have made it more fun / entertaining (think Top Gear type of format). I liked some of Andrews more diplomatic approaches, but I think he is that age where "fighting" for a good cause is just not worth it (think your point 2) From a gear review point of view, one word... crowd source.

You make some very valid points.

Edited by Patchelicious

The rugby fans are just that, fans.

Where as the target market are cycling participants,

so I don't think that the two are a good comparison. 

BullSSSheet

If it wasn't for knee issues, apparently about 80% of my friends would be playing for the Bokke!

This one  :clap:

http://cycling-today.com/images/Niki-Gudex-thumb.jpg

That look could be improved with her down low on some drop bars.

That look could be improved with her down low on some drop bars.

But then should would be banned from MTB events....

BullSSSheet

If it wasn't for knee issues, apparently about 80% of my friends would be playing for the Bokke!

Pity it is impossible to recover from knee, hamstring, etc injuries.

Such a pity.