Candidate for new Supercycling anchor

Chris NewbyFraser

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who the hell even watches Super Cycling?!

Actually quite enjoy it. And also, it gives some good coverage to some of local events and coordinators, who always need the publicity. We need to support our own cycling industry  (and everything surrounding it) here in South Africa, and SuperCycling helps with that.

eish... and that background music playing, when showing some local cycling events footage .... :ph34r:

and the generic commentary - "a true test of body and mind..." Or something like that.

Followed by the gratuitous panning shot of the local 'underprivileged school kids'...

and the generic commentary - "a true test of body and mind..." Or something like that.

Followed by the gratuitous panning shot of the local 'underprivileged school kids'...

This is spot on. Just described every race ever covered by Super Cyling ???????????????? I tried to watch the hilites of Tankwa the other day . Most boring coverage I have ever seen . Race looks great though.

I sometimes feel South African commentary - of many different sports/disciplines, seems to be of the overly-dramatic/Richard Attenborough (who I love listening to...), as in:

"not since the dawn of man, has such a difficult race/challenge/race been held, which will test the athletes/cyclists/whatever to the VERY LIMITS of their endurance..."

and then they pan away to either a male or female back-packer, knees-up Mother=Brown style cycling style, tootling along, maybe eating a chocolate bar, merrily in the 'toughest' challenge on the planet...!

I think it may have been Arnold Geerdts (sp?) who started this uniquely South African method of hypeing up ........ cycling down a flat dirt road, with no bends in it!

Joking aside, I think we could down-regulate some of our slavish commentary, but I find Minnie Mouse and Hannie quite good, actually!

Chris

Found another great youtube channel last night. The Col Collective. As it says it's vids of people riding the most famous European Cols

If I just compare the quality of Super Golf with Dale Heyes , to the Inside the PGA tour show . It's world apart . i don't know what it is , but we certainly don't have it .

If I just compare the quality of Super Golf with Dale Heyes , to the Inside the PGA tour show . It's world apart . i don't know what it is , but we certainly don't have it .

"Mingewoond" is the word you are looking for. That and we try too hard.

Thats how Saffas come across on TV, be it presenters or MAMILs being interviewed at WP3 of some 20km race scoffing their 15th potato. "Jaa, hmm Ja," We say "ja" a lot. "It's been very lekker HEY"

Just watch one for the many motoring shows we have and you will see, we just try too hard to be like others.

Edited by Patchelicious

We also try really hard to be serious and unwavering in our reporting.

There is very little to no tongue in cheek, no comedy relief at all.

Tele prompt scripting and boring samesame....

I personally don't own a television, but when I am forced to watch SA sport I find it entirely cringe worthy across the board.

Our rugby panel is akin to hitting your ears with a soft mallet (ha!) while eating an ice cream too quickly. 

We need some young blood who are enthusiastic and ride the mood. Retired players and stars can offer insight, but are more often than not about as exciting as a kick in the crotch 

We also try really hard to be serious and unwavering in our reporting.

There is very little to no tongue in cheek, no comedy relief at all.

Tele prompt scripting and boring samesame....

I personally don't own a television, but when I am forced to watch SA sport I find it entirely cringe worthy across the board.

Our rugby panel is akin to hitting your ears with a soft mallet (ha!) while eating an ice cream too quickly. 

We need some young blood who are enthusiastic and ride the mood. Retired players and stars can offer insight, but are more often than not about as exciting as a kick in the crotch 

Thats some opinion for a dude who doesnt own a TV :P

Like those guys who have never ridden an S-Works but say its ***...

Thats some opinion for a dude who doesnt own a TV :P

Like those guys who have never ridden an S-Works but say its ***...

ha ha. think your analogy falls quite short here!