Garmin Fenix 3HR - FAKE HR

Irvin85

I call bull****!

I have a Polar V650 with HR strap and a Fenix 3 HR. Tested it on 4 rides now and the HR readings are almost identical. You are doing somthing wrong or there's too much fat on your wrist. Tattoos? Too much hair? I cannot even!!!

:cursing:  :cursing:

Pieter, I have a real problem with you guys that have premature bull**** ejaculation! Please read your comment again and ask yourself this.

1 - Have you got any facts to support your conclusions?

2 - Has your comment actually helped the OP in any way?

3 - Even if the OP is doing something wrong, is this the only way of getting him to realise that?

4 - Will your interaction see him participate more here, or possibly see him leave?

I dare you to answer those honestly!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I call bull****!

I have a Polar V650 with HR strap and a Fenix 3 HR. Tested it on 4 rides now and the HR readings are almost identical. You are doing somthing wrong or there's too much fat on your wrist. Tattoos? Too much hair? I cannot even!!!

Sehriaas !!

You are out of line - quite simply.

Sjees  always get one - Rouxtjie help!

:cursing:  :cursing:

Pieter, I have a real problem with you guys that have premature bull**** ejaculation! Please read your comment again and ask yourself this.

1 - Have you got any facts to support your conclusions?

2 - Has your comment actually helped the OP in any way?

3 - Even if the OP is doing something wrong, is this the only way of getting him to realise that?

4 - Will your interaction see him participate more here, or possibly see him leave?

I dare you to answer those honestly!

Sorry, maybe a bit harsh. I should've maybe said I call a serious user and/or equipment malfunction.

I also have no issues with the HR monitor of my Fenix 3 HR. Mine is very accurate and comparable with my chest strap. Yes, I wear a HR strap for MTBing, because all reviews mentioned it doesnt perform well in this area. And it makes sense to me with all the bumping around. But for other activities its great. And no chafing from the chest strap while running!

Used it today on 66 km ride and it worked.... the whole way and all the time.

That's my main problem. Sometimes it works and sometimes not.

I put it on exact same spot (I've bliksemed it often enough in frustration so I know where it hurts and should work...)

And sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I have no tattoo's, but am quite hairy. Maybe that's the reason.

• 1 month later...

I bought the Fenix 3 Sapphire HR in Feb. It worked really well, up until a few days ago. Have had the watch bomb out on me in a massive way over two of my sessions. 

Today, I had an IDT session, which was broken into two main parts: 2 minute slow spin as a warm up, and then 40 minutes at 85% of FTP at 90 RPM. The session looked like this:

http://i.imgur.com/3qGJyFJ.png

http://i.imgur.com/KT9B7fC.png

Wish I could maintain a heart rate of under 110 at 85% of FTP.... 

On Sunday, I did a long'ish Z2 run, with my Fenix 3 every now and then reporting a HR of 160, when it should have been between 110 and 115.

My run pace, which you can see is fairly steady. The drops in pace is from me slowing down to take off my watch and wipe it down. 

http://i.imgur.com/YI6V0cy.png

Here is my HR for this session, and as you can see, it's all over the place:

http://i.imgur.com/UQ7FwPf.png

Not very happy. Going to return the Garmin to the store where I purchased it from, and maybe get the Performance Bundle.  

Edit:

I am not fat, nor I am I hairy or have any tattoos. This is an issue with the device, and there is clearly something going on. I put the thing on so tight, that it leaves indentations on my wrist when I am training. Maybe it's because I have a smaller wrist compared to men, but that should have been tested before the device hit the market. 

My apple watch scared me off optical HR's... they're just not ready yet if I look online at reviews and issues. Especially for sports with more erratic movements. For sedentary stable stuff it seemed okay, but that was about it. I'll give it another year before I drop the cash

I have a FR 225 and with Running it seems to be pretty accurate but when I do a spinning session or Crossfit, the optical sensor is out, maybe I will have to shave my wrist hair...

I still trust the strap more than the optical sensor.

EmJay, have you considered the new Forerunner 935? Might be worth checking the tri-bundle with that watch out! It has all the same features as the Fenix3 but only weighs 49 grams!

I have used both the Fitbit HR and the Garmin Vivosmart HR, have had no issues with either(beside the charge terminals on the fitbit melting away) Heart rate reading are pretty close to the HR strap on my Gramin computer while i ride, although i use it more as a guideline than an accurate reading(the watch). If you really want accurate readings, get a decent strap and link to the watch, if you really want accurate readings, get a proper heart rate monitor with electrodes....

I haven't read the whole thread so apologies if it's been covered. 

The tighter the unit is on one's wrist, the more accurate. Ambient light that may creep in as a result of wearing the unit even slightly loose could render the readings inaccurate.

Skin tone, freckles, tattoos, hair, there just seems to be too many variables with optical HR for me to have much faith in them just yet. Some love them, but I like my unit loose, so it's a no go for me. AFAIK, the F3 HR can be used with a strap as well, so if you're not happy with the readings, perhaps purchase a strap instead.

Hell you guys are getting me worried, trying to decide between a 735xt and Felix 3 HR. Not really a triathlete but prefer the extra functions of the Fenix, seems the hr is cheaper than the non hr at the moment though

Hell you guys are getting me worried, trying to decide between a 735xt and Felix 3 HR. Not really a triathlete but prefer the extra functions of the Fenix, seems the hr is cheaper than the non hr at the moment though

Get the Fenix 3 HR. 

EmJay, have you considered the new Forerunner 935? Might be worth checking the tri-bundle with that watch out! It has all the same features as the Fenix3 but only weighs 49 grams!

I am considering this. Also may just get a credit and wait for the Fenix 5 to land in SA, and pay in whatever the difference is. Will see how NavWorld handle this and how long it takes to get the Fenix 5. I really need my watch for my swim sets, so can't go without it for too long.  

EmJay, have you considered getting a tattoo? 

Yes, I have, and it's not really my thing. 

Wait for the 935 which is supposedly out in June 2017 here https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/564291

Archived