[Event] Amarider 100 & 50 Miler - Presented By Bike Hub

Dirtopia MTB Events

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did my 6th one, found the corrugations the worst yet..and more sand than usual.

It was my first one on a FS, and I'm really glad about that!

Respect to all who took the start, and to all the finishers.

Absolutely agree, did the event in 2015, and again this year. I was quite a bit fitter than in 2015 and my time was 15 minutes slower. I also kakked off a lot more this year.

Enjoyed the 50miler. I found the last 20km was rather tough.

MASSIVE respect for the 100miler riders!

Erik Kleinhans rode past me at about 55km into my ride so 135km into his. Up the hill and away into the distance like it was nothing.

First time i ever see a gravel grinder with a lauf fork. Seriously cool looking machines.

its not a lauf fork, it's a RockShox RS-1. You can check it out here.

https://www.bikehub.co.za/features/_/gear/gear-news/the-bikes-of-tour-de-braai-r6553

Erik came past so fast i didnt even see the fork on his bike :) I saw the Lauf on a bike at the finish.

oh thought you were reffering to Erik's fork  :ph34r:

Erik came past so fast i didnt even see the fork on his bike :) I saw the Lauf on a bike at the finish.

That was on Neville's niner from Bikemob.

Savage got a top 10 and a DNF from a shredded tyre. Lekka weekend!

That was on Neville's niner from Bikemob.

Savage got a top 10 and a DNF from a shredded tyre. Lekka weekend!

Is there a write up coming for the race?

Is there a write up coming for the race?

Hmmm, will ask Waldo if he can throw something together and I will sprinkle some Savage dust on it.

Hey guys and gals,

did my first 100miler....not much prep done after having done the Epic. But had won the entry to the Cederberg Trek (two times 80km). This is where Erik also blitzed everybody.

So, after Meurant Botha said the Amarider 100 miler isn't that tough i entered spur of the moment. Well, it was harder than expected, especially those last 25odd km's. More so that my GPS ended on 164km and i REALLY needed it to end at 161km as advertised.

And the route description: "A few small rises then Downhill to the finish" - haha i think not. Some tough pedalling in those last km's from last waterpoint until 1km from finish.

As posted in a different thread.....those thought coursing through the mind were varied and not for print at times.

BUT, still glad i did this - my first race distance over 125km. Not sure i will attempt 361 or the like though. Or do a "Martin Dreyer" and ride it twice. Mad :drool:

Hey guys and gals,

did my first 100miler....not much prep done after having done the Epic. But had won the entry to the Cederberg Trek (two times 80km). This is where Erik also blitzed everybody.

So, after Meurant Botha said the Amarider 100 miler isn't that tough i entered spur of the moment. Well, it was harder than expected, especially those last 25odd km's. More so that my GPS ended on 164km and i REALLY needed it to end at 161km as advertised.

And the route description: "A few small rises then Downhill to the finish" - haha i think not. Some tough pedalling in those last km's from last waterpoint until 1km from finish.

As posted in a different thread.....those thought coursing through the mind were varied and not for print at times.

BUT, still glad i did this - my first race distance over 125km. Not sure i will attempt 361 or the like though. Or do a "Martin Dreyer" and ride it twice. Mad :drool:

yeah i agree it is a bit of a schlep for first timers who expecting to do 160kms or 161 kms as advertised. in the last 2-3 years the venue changed from the original venue that would've given you the 161km's, either they are not too bothered to update the marketing material or they just conveniently forgot to mention it at the race briefing before the start, maybe they did & you missed it or they just assummed your buddies would've briefed you.

wrt "A few small rises then Downhill to the finish" same as above again I think this applied to the previous finish venue. With that said if you are suffering after 100kms, any small bump in the road will feel like a mountain to climb this is especially relevant in the 100 miler.