Should I upgrade to tubeless

Allrounder

Hi all

I am one of those guys these days, that cycles on the tar mostly, (99,5%) of the time with my MTB with knobblies. 

My question is, is it worth going tubeless in this circumstances? Or is it better to just stick to tubes?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all

I am one of those guys these days, that cycles on the tar mostly, (99,5%) of the time with my MTB with knobblies. 

My question is, is it worth going tubeless in this circumstances? Or is it better to just stick to tubes?

Do you get lots of punctures? On tar. With Knobbies.

No don't its terrible.

You lose out on a bunch of fun things like: Seeing a thorn in your tyre and knowing that in a minute or less you'll be stationary. Then you miss out on getting the wheel off, trying to remove a tyre and tube, finding a tube, finding a pump, pricking your finger on other thorns when you check the inside of the tyre, refitting the tube and tyre and pumping it up and then possibly another flat from a different thorn only now you have no spare tube. 

What a silly question...

Edit - Missed the fact that you are a roadie with the wrong bike. Rather just stick with tubes...

Edited by Headshot

Stupid question .... Why?

I am propably in the same boat as the OP.  When not cycling on tar and in the woods, I don't even have to deal with something like kameeldoring.  Glass is hardly an issue on tar.  So from my ignorant view .... why spend more money?

If you're on the smooth stuff 99,5% of the time, have you considered slicks? Good range of widths and tread, cheap and will last forever and just about puncture proof! Oh, also about zero maintenance!

Edited by Jonesy

I am propably in the same boat as the OP.  When not cycling on tar and in the woods, I don't even have to deal with something like kameeldoring.  Glass is hardly an issue on tar.  So from my ignorant view .... why spend more money?

Thorns aren't the only way to puncture! I've had sharp small sticks puncture my tires...

Once you master the tubeless setup, small puncture holes take care of themselves and you probably won't even notice. With a tube, you'll need to stop and repair (unless you running sealant in a tube).

Tubeless = less weight and performance increase (grip) with lower pressures.

But you right, if these "gains" don't interest you, go tubes with sealant...no reason for tubeless! 

Edited by Grey Hubs

Has anybody ever gone from tubeless to tubes?

If so, why?

If not, why not?

These are all rhetorical questions, of course!

Cape Town in summer = devil thorns. And yes they do puncture knobblies.