Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

people like quoting the output of pro riders, but pro riders have the TITS to know how to manage that power (No wheelspin, etc) and then in theory also have the ability, thanks to TITS to control the bike back down the trail again.

Mr/Mrs/Miss Joe/Jolene Soap, new to the sport and lacking bicycle handling ability would not have that skill or TITS.

Are we are veering off topic here?

These people will still not be able to ride down a trail, and will most likely end up with a broken clavicle or with torn ACLs.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there maybe someone owning an e bike and normal bike (with a respectable fitness level) willing to ride a curtain route / trail with both bikes.

Would love to see how the heart rate compares to the two rides

Same rider / same route – only the bikes difference

Put on a nice graph indicating heart rate  / elevation / speed  / distance etc.

Maybe the “Hub testing / reviewing team” can do such test under controlled conditions. :whistling: 

A newbie now has the ability to take on a tough climb .... let's use that mother of a climb at the end to reach the mast at Conters, and then access the Black Route. That person is in a world of difficulty here RE skill vs trail conditions. Just an example.

E-Bikes are motorbike, no argument of it being restricted to 25km and being pedal assist will change my views on this. It is no longer a human only powered means of transport. Now the decision has to be made as to whether this form of transport is to be allowed on the MTB trails. Personally I have mixed feelings, but I am still leaning to a No Access mindset.

As I have noted before, over riding the regulated E-Bikes is a very simple process, and not one that anybody will be able to visually assess or control at the entry point to a trail. 

To be clear, there is NOT a "we're all in agreement" consensus RE E-Bikes on the trails even if they do have the 25km control, etc in place. Even more so if these controls are de regulated.

Sorry Hairy, badly worded on my part. I meant that when it comes to deregulated e-bikes, those monsters that you posted earlier and those which do not require pedal input to engage the motor, we agree that they should not be on trails, and they should not be classified as e-mtb's. 

Where we differ is whether that approach of banning them should extend to those which are regulated, do require pedal input and do not have a throttle (like a standard Levo)

IE You see them as the same thing: Motorised bicycles. We (the ones who really don't care about their presence) see a delineation. One is okay, one is not. 

Re the oke at the top of Conties. That's a straw man argument. There are PLENTY flippin fit riders who will make it to the top of the mast without a problem, yet not attempt the black route as they do not have the skill for it. Will being on an e-mtb change that? I doubt it very much. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

These people will still not be able to ride down a trail, and will most likely end up with a broken clavicle or with torn ACLs.

see my post at 2:44pm

I encourage all the e-MTB naysayer to put their prejudices aside and make an effort to find and test ride an e-MTB. Please. Once you've done that, come back to this thread and provide feedback.

I have tested one on the road .... does that count.

this is like fighting against 29'ers in 2008...

like it or not, in 10 years from now there will be e-bikes all over our trails, in the CTCT, marathon races, enduro races and everywhere else you look.  I won't ever own one, but it will still be all around us me thinks..  Is it bad?

I don't know, more riders on our trails means safer trails and more riders also bring more trails.  Just maybe, because e-MTB's are typically plus sized 160mm trail machines, we might even see an increase and gnarly stuff cause the e-bike brigade might be more inclined than the hard core marathoners to ride jumps etc. as they won't be as fixated with Strava KOM's.

Let them come.  If it's shyte, the e-bike boom will slow down, but who knows it might just get better

why not, I know how it feels under acceleration.

because acceleration on a flat road does not equate to the conditions on the trail. Watch the vid - you'll see what I mean. 

who's that in the video? Must have seen him around Tygerberg.

Wayne Schell. Should have seen him riding around on either an Ibis Ripley or a Mojo 3 in baby blue. He's always on Tygerberg. Lately he's been testing more bikes for his youtjoop channel. Really lekker oke, and blitzvinnig when he wants to be. 

I can't quite find an argument against e-bikes that will stand up to a decent counter-argument. But they just don't 'feel' right.

I think you will find lots of people who sit in this slot. This means we will see lots of people withdifficult to substantiate yet emotive arguements for the foreseeable future.

Fun times we are in for.