Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

An Ebike makes about 500w which is less than 1 BHP. It also weighs about 25kg. So very little difference to a strong rider on a normal bike.

A motocross bike makes about 30bhp and the wheels go a LOT faster. The tires are designed to tear at the ground. They also weigh more than 120kg so your logic is off.

They are loads of fun and they are here to stay.

Yep...

edit. That does not of course mean that there will be blanket acceptance of them or that they will have unfettered access to all trails. In the US there are already bans in certain places I think

Edited by Headshot

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who said he cant?

I asked why he does, based on his statement that his son is small and having an eBike helps him keep up with his dad. That makes sense, but it doesn't square back to why the dad has one. so I asked. I am allowed to ask, he doesn't need to answer.

this is what s so wrong in south africa nowdays

everyone worrying about other peoples stuff

wanting to know about stuff that is private

what makes you entitled to ask him about his private stuff

your excuse that he doesn't have to answer is very weak

its frankly none of your business

Sorry but no.

A large amount of time and effort is expended dealing with the effects of water run off on trails.

I'm no fan of ebikes (I tend to hiss like an angry badger when I see one) but they in their current guise are not going to tear up trails any more than a normal bike with a 'panic braker' riding.

This. Water is the primary cause of erosion on trails. Panic brakers & roosters second. Then rogue building & removal of obstacles on teh trail (a continual problem)

Walkers rank above MTB's and eMTB's in terms of damage to trails. 

Edited by Captain Fatbastard Mayhem

Erm, then why did he come and post it on a public forum.... asking him why rides an eBike is NOT a big deal.

Don't get involved in my discussions with other people, its frankly non of your business.

On a side note: To type the capital case of any letter, hold down the shift key while typing the letterkey. You will notice there are two shift keys on your keyboard - one on each side. You should press the shift key with the pinky finger of the hand opposite the one you are typing the letter with.

Yeah if everybody just mind their own business it will solve most of the problems in SA.

Edited by Ascension

Yeah if everybody just mind their own business it will solve most of the problems in SA.

agree

South Africa has more important public issues than a dad riding an e bike with his son

so lets cut the dude some slack to manage his private affairs

Edited by rorydewet

wow

only 2 points from you reply worth responding too

see below

guess no double standards in the below

Erm, then why did he come and post it on a public forum.... asking him why rides an eBike is NOT a big deal.

Don't get involved in my discussions with other people, its frankly non of your business.

wow

only 2 points from you reply worth responding too

see below

guess no double standards in the below

Maybe you need one of these.

giphy.gif

I even popped in a "frankly" for you to make it more obvious. I see you also didn't notice Ascensions sarcasm font.

agree

South Africa has more important public issues than a dad riding an e bike with his son

so lets cut the dude some slack to manage his private affairs

He rode the eBike in public and then posted about it on a public forum, and I want to know why he is riding an eBike. I need to make sense of this.

He rode the eBike in public and then posted about it on a public forum, and I want to know why he is riding an eBike. I need to make sense of this.

he replied to a post about himself on a public forum

that fact doesn't mean he now needs to be whipped at dawn for defending himself and further denigrated on said public forum

but i don't think your issue is with him

i sense a deeper underlying issue with e bikes per se

its okay you can admit it

admitting is first part of healing and acceptance

Mambat some nice pics !

Clearly your son knows how to handle a bike.

Sorry, still "looks wrong" to see a kid on an ebike .... not meant as a shitty reply.  Just not something we are used to seeing .....

Buy hey, if it works for your family, GO for it.  Frankly, it is about getting out there, whatever your mode of transport.

PS - Our little one is turning 8 next month .... and the way his riding has improved over the last 2 years I may well have to get an ebike soon enough to keep up with him ...  :eek:

This whole post "looks wrong", as someone who enjoys riding with his kid it seems incredibly condescending to judge someone else doing exactly the same.

That would be me............. and thanks for the compliment of being called thirty something :thumbup:

This would be my son and yes he has just turned 9..... you all welcome to come try keep up with him......

on the DOWNS :ph34r:

"I am SURE it can be "justified" .... but it just looked SO wrong seeing an able bodied kid on an ebike ......"

Pretty shitty remark mate????

Riding e-bikes together has vastly improved his skill set and his fitness. You try throwing around a bike

that weighs the same as you. My son weighs 26Kg his Giant Stance (Size small not junior-size?) weighs around 24Kg.

It has also allowed us to ride all the trails in the Durbanville Hills network. Unbelievable father and son time together where we both can compete like for like. I dont see many other eight year olds doing sub 3:50's

down the Cobra or wait............. see many eight years olds full stop on those trails.

And for the record my son has a dirt jump bike, bmx and a Giant Trance but the best times we have TOGETHER is on our ebikes.

ChrisF - Maybe come join us for an e-Bike ride.... You welcome to borrow my wife's and see if you can keep up? Both on the ups and the downs  :whistling:  :devil:  :whistling:

I warn you once you go E.... there is no turning back!

rad dude, i guess you're used to getting comments from peanut gallery!

is this the bike your kid has got?

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/za/bikes-stance-eplus-2019

Agree with you, however the questions being posed here is should electric motorbikes be allowed on MTB trails?

electric Motorcycle is not an e-bike, so no.

I think someone alread touched on this. Motorcycle has a throtle

e-bike is an electric assisted bicycle.

Different in many ways and one of them requires licensing and homologation in terms of the Road Traffic act

he replied to a post about himself on a public forum

that fact doesn't mean he now needs to be whipped at dawn for defending himself and further denigrated on said public forum

but i don't think your issue is with him

i sense a deeper underlying issue with e bikes per se

its okay you can admit it

admitting is first part of healing and acceptance

After some introspection I came to the realization that I was traumatized by watching this South Park episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Llt8rYCLd1Y

You may get a fright if you joined us at our local trails, for coffee after the ride.

Riders talk to each other ... complete strangers strike up a conversation ....  I often speak to ebike riders.  Every single one that I spoke to have been nice people, and I enjoy hearing about the technology of their bikes.  What they like about what they have, and what they would buy next time.  

At no point has it ever been seen as "meddling" in others private business ....