Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

Saw an article on my google news feed this morning about two Italians who fled after other racers at a road event set the police on them as they were suspected of secretly riding electric road bikes in the event.

That was just known as mechanical doping not so long ago... 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gonna be really hard to get a sub 3 at 25km/h

Surely not restricted to 25km under own steam? Do all the hills at 25, smash the downhills and wheel sucking racing tandems on the flats should be ok on a 11.5 kg bike.

So that's PPA subs, entry, accom and the small matter of the bike price tag and finally I will get my sub 3.

But can I please have one with gravel tyres so I can fully buy into what the marketers are selling please

Slight high-jack, but a couple Saturday's back on a sunny day here in the fairest Cape, I rode my MTB down to Milnerton fleamarket from Blouberg, and on my return I collected a group of roadies who to be fair weren't exactly giving it horns, but were still managing a fair clip nonetheless at ave. speed above 30 kph. I am proud to state I managed to slip in and hold on, and for about 2 km held the front. I got some annoyed stares, but they also couldn't shake me either.

Who needs e-bikes?

Slight high-jack, but a couple Saturday's back on a sunny day here in the fairest Cape, I rode my MTB down to Milnerton fleamarket from Blouberg, and on my return I collected a group of roadies who to be fair weren't exactly giving it horns, but were still managing a fair clip nonetheless at ave. speed above 30 kph. I am proud to state I managed to slip in and hold on, and for about 2 km held the front. I got some annoyed stares, but they also couldn't shake me either.

Who needs e-bikes?

Perhaps you were just taking up so much of the shoulder that they couldn't safely pass. 

It was a rest day for the tour de France. They all went for a rest ride on... EBikes

Who needs e-bikes?

Certainly not you!!!

Perhaps you were just taking up so much of the shoulder that they couldn't safely pass. 

perhaps, or perhaps I slotted in from behind...hmmmm.

Gonna be really hard to get a sub 3 at 25km/h

Why 25Km/h?

Saw a test where tester said the assist cut out at 25mph and that's 40km/h.

Why 25Km/h?

As a Euro, Gummi, you should know there's two types here: 

E-bike: assistance up to 25 km/h

Speed pedelec: assistance up to 45 km/h

I have no idea whether speed pedelecs are sold in SA. They're incredibly popular here in Belgium. During my morning runs I get the bejeezus scared out of me as these okes come flying past me from behind on their Stromers. 

Why 25Km/h?

Its region set on the Spez App, so picks up your geo location on phone and restricts accoridngly. Due to SABS pedal assist only allows up to 25km/h. Other regions have different standards and can go up to 55km/h. Unlike some of the simpler system where you can just short the speed limiter with a second pin wire, the speed limiter on the Spez is electronic. 

If a person is willing to buy an Sworks eBike Roadbike racer to cheat and beat their friends, they are likely to remove that limiter in now time.

Bit harder on the Spez as its electronic vs the orbea etc which is just a plug on limiter. 

But if you have R240k for a bike, you probably have money to install a new speed controller and battery pack.

#DouchersGonnaDouche

Ageist not, I am also no spring chicken. :mellow:

My comment was merely that it has given many older guys the freedom to explore the mountains and trails they are not accustomed to. They also end up riding with guys who are probably a lot more advanced and feel they can "keep up" going well beyond their limitations.

I have paid my school fees but I did it when I was a lot younger and could probably heal better and faster and I am now only too aware of my limitations. And sadly I still pay school fees on far to regular an occasion.... :wacko:

An e-bike will definitely come in handy when the legs have failed me but hopefully with an e-bike I will also understand my limitations having been riding for many years beforehand which some of these guys haven't done... a mere observation, ageist most certainly not.... 

Just pulling your wrinkly old leg :-)

Broken both on a normal mtb :ph34r:  :whistling:

Reports here in the news weekly about people getting injured on Ebikes  and Escooters.Parliment is busy debating new laws for both as they are considered to be motorised vehicles.

So when they take your car license you wont be able to ride your motorized bicycle:)