Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

In Belgium if you want to ride a speed pedelec, you need to have a driver's licence, register the bike at the traffic dept., where they issue you with a kewpie number plate for your bike and you have to wear a helmet whilst riding. 

Sounds perfect.....

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If a person is willing to buy an Sworks eBike Roadbike racer to cheat and beat their friends, they are likely to remove that limiter in no time.

It's a paid DLC subscription from the app store. Have you even met 2019? 

In Belgium if you want to ride a speed pedelec, you need to have a driver's licence, register the bike at the traffic dept., where they issue you with a kewpie number plate for your bike and you have to wear a helmet whilst riding.

Sounds like the same hassles as owning a motorbike [emoji3]

Its region set on the Spez App, so picks up your geo location on phone and restricts accoridngly. Due to SABS pedal assist only allows up to 25km/h. Other regions have different standards and can go up to 55km/h. Unlike some of the simpler system where you can just short the speed limiter with a second pin wire, the speed limiter on the Spez is electronic.

Oh ok.

Hadn’t realized that.

Many companies that sell aftermarket software to override the limits.Would that work in SA?

Bit harder on the Spez as its electronic vs the orbea etc which is just a plug on limiter. 

But if you have R240k for a bike, you probably have money to install a new speed controller and battery pack.

#DouchersGonnaDouche

If it is checked via the phone location, then there is no need to spend money to get a 'faster' location:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.incorporateapps.fakegps.fre&hl=en

EDIT:

yes, it will screw up your Strava phone recording, but then - who would advertise cheating on Strava  :whistling:

Edited by Zatopek

So we wait for a lady who we passed on the cycle lane while she was putting on her rain jacket.

Side note ... it was a cold, wet and nasty head wind home for us yesterday.

Now in our group was a mixed assortment of riders .... we wait and we wait for her, then she starts riding and we notice she is on a Giant e-bike....all good .... next thing she takes off around the group and leaves us behind like no ones business.

Moral of the story, next time we will not wait for an e-bike.

Did some counting while riding on Sunday and around 1 in 3 bikes was an Ebike of some sort.Didn't count commuter type bikes though.

So we wait for a lady who we passed on the cycle lane while she was putting on her rain jacket.

Now in our group was a mixed assortment of riders .... we wait and we wait for her, then she starts riding and we notice she is on a Giant e-bike....all good .... next thing she takes off around the group and leaves us behind like no ones business.

Don't blame the E-Bike. This is a gross misdirection of anger and frustration. the E-Bike is the innocent party here

I was once treated badly by a human.

Morel of the story - f*ck all of you.

I fixed your prejudice for you.  ;)

certainly not in our group ... we have some ladies that ride with us that will drop most guys on the road and other ladies that most guys only wish could ride as hard and fast on a DH / #Enduro trail as they do

the slowest rider in our group is also a guy BTW, and not me :P

we wait and try to cater for all riders, even roadies.

Don't blame the E-Bike. This is a gross misdirection of anger and frustration. the E-Bike is the innocent party here

e-bike has no soul, it is not a nice steel single speed ..... so we can't blame the bike here

e-bike has no soul, it is not a nice steel single speed ..... so we can't blame the bike here

Agreed. My very point. Don't blame the E bike

• 3 weeks later...