Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, VincentHolloway said:

Nino Schurter has won  the world championship in men's cross-country 10 times so far.
He also rides eBikes.

So one day when I am big and can afford it, I will swop out my Scott Spark 970 for one of these 👍

Nothing against ebikes but pretty sure whenever a sports celeb is punting any bike they pretty much told to do so by their sponsors.

Not much you can take from that. Hardly independent choice

2 hours ago, Newbie321 said:

Yes MTB should be banned from roads, those slow pokes just get in the way and when it's not a slow poke they end up wheel sucking. How can any respectable roadie have a MTB on your wheel?

Ebikers banned from the mountain.

MTB banned from the road..

Road cyclist banned from the cradle. 

And all lycra banned from the sport ... 

Now everyone will be happy 

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

Yes, but again..fitted purpose made mtb baggies and mtb clothing are not generally 'baggy'.

Rode Around the Pot this year in my bibs (only my bibs with my weatherproof top)....still had mud in my crack halfway in..pretty sure everyone did at some stage. So they are not 'ingress proof'. ask all the omo foamo's you pass in a wet race haha.

And most days i ride with my bib under whatever i choose, because they tend to stay in one place over a long ride better.

If you shave your crack the mud doesn't tend to stick as much

But I suppose waxers nd shavers should be banned from the mountain as well

2 minutes ago, madmarc said:

If you shave your crack the mud doesn't tend to stick as much

But I suppose waxers nd shavers should be banned from the mountain as well

Add that to the banned list...

28 minutes ago, DuncanDoughnuts said:

Ebikers banned from the mountain.

MTB banned from the road..

Road cyclist banned from the cradle. 

And all lycra banned from the sport ... 

Now everyone will be happy 

Why are you so nasty to the gravel bikers ?  Ignoring them like this ....

2 hours ago, VincentHolloway said:

Nino Schurter has won  the world championship in men's cross-country 10 times so far.
He also rides eBikes.

So one day when I am big and can afford it, I will swop out my Scott Spark 970 for one of these 👍

See…even Nino knows there’s a time and place to look like a racing snake - on an e-bike on the mountain is not one of them🙃😋

2 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Why are you so nasty to the gravel bikers ?  Ignoring them like this ....

Gravel bikes are essentially 1990's mountain bikes .... they belong with the 26ers and suspension stems. - Might as well ban them with the rest of those shaved leg strava hunters. 

Who have I left out ?

I think the only real riders are Trials riders ... now that's proper skill.... hippedy hoppedy over rocks and ledges. 

Edited by DuncanDoughnuts
removed the sentence "Anyone can juice up and win a Time trial or a stage on the epic" as not top upset any juiced up lycra wearing XC and road racing hubbers

If only the e-bikers did select the correct cat on strava. So many segments ruined because of it

12 hours ago, Beckels said:

If only the e-bikers did select the correct cat on strava. So many segments ruined because of it

If someone has upset you then flag the ride....

But yes, they should be kept separate in strava.

On 10/4/2022 at 3:36 PM, ChrisF said:

I commute in normal clothes.  Every so often the day is wrapped up with a detour including some trails ..... in shorts and T-shirt.

NO thank you !!  No way I want to ride single tracks in such loose clothing ....

Cycling clothes, aka lycra, is one of the most practical evolutions.  

Nooit bru - lycra is great for under shorts with padding but a decent set of trail shorts - update: they're not that baggy and neither are the tops - ain't never going to hinder your ride. Most SA cyclists ride like roadies anyway - not the most dynamic bunch on a bike but at least they could look a bit more stylish out there on the trails.