Heart Rate

Sounds like an effective test. ;)  Just one question though - so as long as I remain fit, my maximum heart rate will not change?  Even if I "remain fit" for another 30 years?  :whistling:

Max heart rate will drop with age, gradually, which is why the 220 - age drops by a beat a year. But for all practical purposes you are not going to notice nor adjust your zones by a beat a year, you will not even notice the difference within the range of your zones which are typically 10% or around 18-20 beats different.  Soon you get a feeling of effort and heart rate becomes secondary to feel.

Or, of course, you can perform the test every few years. But that is very painful for 15 minutes or so where you go to hell and back.  Problem is, as you remain fit you tend to get a bit stronger and you need a longer hill than last time.

But yes, 30 years is extreme and I am wrong over a 30 year period.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like an effective test. ;) Just one question though - so as long as I remain fit, my maximum heart rate will not change? Even if I "remain fit" for another 30 years? :whistling:

IT will slowly drift lower as you get older - but the rate of drop is slower for habitual athletes

And it's Friday !!

Rockrabbit it is strictly speaking not possible to go over 100% of your MHR. When you do your system will short circuit. With every increasing number on your monitor your mhr increases. Best way to get it done is maybe a sports science institute. When your monitor hits 220 once in a while it is a false reading.

You have some homework to do - there is so much available on the www on effective training - heart rates - breathing - muscles - diet etc etc.

But you are going to have to do it.

Just a bit of advice - 15km at FULL tilt is not such a good idea and does more damage than good. Go out for at least an hour and vary the intensity - more beneficial.

Max heart rate will drop with age, gradually, which is why the 220 - age drops by a beat a year. But for all practical purposes you are not going to notice nor adjust your zones by a beat a year, you will not even notice the difference within the range of your zones which are typically 10% or around 18-20 beats different.  Soon you get a feeling of effort and heart rate becomes secondary to feel.

Or, of course, you can perform the test every few years. But that is very painful for 15 minutes or so where you go to hell and back.  Problem is, as you remain fit you tend to get a bit stronger and you need a longer hill than last time.

But yes, 30 years is extreme and I am wrong over a 30 year period.

Sorry, I forgot to use the Comic Sans  :P

Your suggested test sounds like once is enough for me.  I hate hills anyway.  I think if I did it and got a number for MHR, that would be close enough to last me for a long time.

I think sometimes we get so caught up in the numbers we tend to forget about the fun of just riding a bike.

Go ride 40km .I guarantee  you you won,t do all of it at 100% ..What you are doing is good for track cycling ,not good for half or full marathon 

I tend to do short 15km high intensity rides with lots of climbing and fast descents.

Often my heart rate is sustained at over 90% and sometimes even just over 100% for short bursts. I tend to ride as fast as possible all the time. Is it wise to exercise like this or should I consider taking it a bit easier? Are there any benefits to this kind of training apart from the Adrenalin rush?

Cheers ! :)

S'ven you going to learn how to use the search function?

Newbies should really have to pass an entrance exam.... owabout it Admin?

I know... i'm being cantankerous...it comes with age

I knew there was a reason for moving to Switzerland

Actualy the reason you need a longer hill as you get older is because you run slower and it takes longer... agh never mind i forgot wha.....

No need to get it professionally tested. It is quite easy to test it yourself as has been highlighted here on the hub a number of times.

Find a nice long steady hill. Any gradient above 5%. Preferably longer than 3km.

Once warmed up, hit the hill as hard as you can at 90+ cadence. Keep going for as long as you can. Soon you will be completely poked. If you are not, roll back to the bottom and try again in a harder gear.

When you feel traces of vomit in your mouth and real difficulty in breathing you are getting into the right zone. When the traces of vomit become real you are there. Your cadence should still be around 80+.

Change to a harder gear and keep going until you think you are seeing Jesus. Or you fall off your bike. Don't worry, after about 2 minutes you will be able to breath almost normally and you will see you are still alive.

Roll down the hill and go home. You have done the job for today.

After a little while when you can focus, upload your HRM and review your heart rate at the time you saw Jesus and 30-45 seconds after that as heart continues to climb once you back off.

The highest number you see there is your max heart rate.  Use this to set your zones for different types of training.

The good news to all this? You can expect to never have to repeat this exercise as long as you remain Sounds

No need to get it professionally tested. It is quite easy to test it yourself as has been highlighted here on the hub a number of times.

Find a nice long steady hill. Any gradient above 5%. Preferably longer than 3km.

Once warmed up, hit the hill as hard as you can at 90+ cadence. Keep going for as long as you can. Soon you will be completely poked. If you are not, roll back to the bottom and try again in a harder gear.

When you feel traces of vomit in your mouth and real difficulty in breathing you are getting into the right zone. When the traces of vomit become real you are there. Your cadence should still be around 80+.

Change to a harder gear and keep going until you think you are seeing Jesus. Or you fall off your bike. Don't worry, after about 2 minutes you will be able to breath almost normally and you will see you are still alive.

Roll down the hill and go home. You have done the job for today.

After a little while when you can focus, upload your HRM and review your heart rate at the time you saw Jesus and 30-45 seconds after that as heart continues to climb once you back off.

The highest number you see there is your max heart rate.  Use this to set your zones for different types of training.

The good news to all this? You can expect to never have to repeat this exercise as long as you remain fit.

Sounds like fun :eek: . So it would seem my max heart rate would be higher than  189 then considering I wasn't puking just yet hahaha. One thing I find alarming is just how high my HR can get hitting the downhill trails (just as high as sprinting on a steep uphill) And at the same time navigating some treacherous terrain and staying focused. Thats the thrill! So these guys like Minnaar - are they also hitting 100% ? Would be interesting to see what kind of training they do apart from their technical ability.

Sounds like fun :eek: . So it would seem my max heart rate would be higher than 189 then considering I wasn't puking just yet hahaha. One thing I find alarming is just how high my HR can get hitting the downhill trails (just as high as sprinting on a steep uphill) And at the same time navigating some treacherous terrain and staying focused. Thats the thrill! So these guys like Minnaar - are they also hitting 100% ? Would be interesting to see what kind of training they do apart from their technical ability.

Your heart rate depends on multiple things- amongst others and in no particular order - exertion, stress and its associated hormone levels, temperature, levels of adrenalin etc - I can show you a study done on heart rates of skydivers over the course of a jump cycle - ground to ground - and you see heart rates near theoretical max rates when they are basically at rest - sitting in the plane doing nothing. As the jumpers get more jumps this hr reduces but is still around 130 for a jumper with 1000 plus jumps.

So downhill heart rates don't mean much really- just ignore it.

If you want a proper answer, get to a professional coach.

If you want 253 opinions from 15 people, then ask it on a forum.

Just where do you find professional and reputable coaches? Would someone care to drop some names for these creatures in JHB area?

Just where do you find professional and reputable coaches? Would someone care to drop some names for these creatures in JHB area?

Check out pain cave in Kempton Park.

Whew, this is exactly why we have amongst the best trails and conditions in the world BUT very few top riders emerging to be world beaters. We train awfully wrong! No plans with scientific input, no recovery rides, no proper goals......balls to the wall is utter rubbish.

It's only a question of time til you blow.....

Ok, it's "only" 15km so should be fun and exciting. Not much can go wrong, right? Wrong? Eventually....

Invest a little time and money and hook up with a coach who will discuss your goals with you and make some training plans for you to achieve what you want (and no, it doesn't have to be to race).

I've worked with Swen Lauer (from Germany) - has the credentials and knows his stuff (currently training Jennie Stenerhag and Esther Suess for Epic). Give it a bash.....

...or go till you blow.

ps same goes for skills training - just saying :whistling:

good luck

*GASP!!*  He who should not be named.....

If you want a proper answer, get to a professional coach.

If you want 253 opinions from 15 people, then ask it on a forum.

Quê!?

Free advice comes at a price

There are some good advice givers / people with experience on this here forum, it does not take long to figure out who

White Inc. (Nic & Di White)