Statement regarding cancellation of the 40th Cape Town Cycle Tour from David Bellairs

News bot

There are special insurance products for this type of scenario. I am hopeful that the PPA looks at these for future events.

But honestly, why would they?? We will moan for a month then all enter again next year.... they aren't really at risk here.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We can be lucky....Some parts of the race had wind and other parts had WATER...now can you imagine, I wonder why the race wasnt cancelled

Or better yet moved entirely. An organizer is spoilt for choice to choose a venue for a MTB event. Id have moved the argus MTB to Paul cluver/oak valley ages ago.

To all those that went out the extra mile to do the 55km mtb last weekend, even tho it was very difficult for most, some of us pushed the extra mile to go for that special medal.......

What happens to this now. Do I still get mine???

What special medal? The mythical medal for those who did both the 55mtb race and the road race...

Has anyone ever actually seen one of these? Like seen it?

Or better yet moved entirely. An organizer is spoilt for choice to choose a venue for a MTB event. Id have moved the argus MTB to Paul cluver/oak valley ages ago.

Taking 5000 riders through Oak Valley / Paul Cluver 14 days before 1200 Epic riders go through there? And a month after the 24 hours and MTB series went through there? There will be nothing left to ride after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What special medal? The mythical medal for those who did both the 55mtb race and the road race...

It r true. I do got 2 of these things

But seriously. Yes you do get a special medal for completing both the long mtb race and the CTCT

Edited by MonsterMan

I think the organisers should settle whatever debt they incurred, and then whatever is left over split between everyone who has entered. I mean after all, the event didnt start, lots of people were still home and didnt even leave to get to the start line.

But yes, I can well imaging some inexperienced cyclists getting blow off chappies.

Yes i was disappointed .. and so was my two sons ....

yes we will get over it .... and the safty of the entrants is way more important. Then there is also the fire ... thats a different topic as to why ....

As for a refund ... i know they say no refunds .. and that costs has already been incured ...

like Eddy say settle what must be settled .. and this is my opinion on the left over funds ....

Split it evenly between the charities that they support .. including all the prize money.... AND.. make the amounts public ... it is after all our and sponsors money.

For us who live out of Cape Doctor land entering the CTCC is a gamble. The outcome of the gamble is for the entrants account. I took the gamble in 2009 and 2010 and will not throw the dice again.

The shortened race again highlighted the gamble.

Should the race have continued and cyclist injured, the organizers would face law suits and and not forgetting angry hubbers posting angry insults at the organizers.

It is a beautiful race to do and if I lived in Cape Town I would enter every year cause all it would cost me is race entry.

Don't be a sore loser when a gamble does not go your way.

It's got absolutely nothing to do with gambling and being a sore loser.

It is the lack of accountability and arrogance by the organisers that is offensive, the "We've got the cash now we really don't care, we'll use safety as the excuse" knowing full well that they had already sent out severe weather warning on Saturday, shortened the route on Sunday AND used the same wind tunnel for the start that caused problems in 2009. All while knowing the wind was going to be strong.

As for entering every year if you lived in the Cape? We do. That does not mean we can be treated with no respect as we are local. Even without travelling there is still significant cost. Not all of it financial.

Is it worth entering next year? I really don't think it is but my kids would be disappointed to miss out again after missing out this year.

Taking 5000 riders through Oak Valley / Paul Cluver 14 days before 1200 Epic riders go through there? And a month after the 24 hours and MTB series went through there? There will be nothing left to ride after that.

There are tons of trails to choose from to prevent to much overlap if any at all. Would you keep running it in the desert of simonsberg conservancy?

Yes i was disappointed .. and so was my two sons ....

yes we will get over it .... and the safty of the entrants is way more important. Then there is also the fire ... thats a different topic as to why ....

As for a refund ... i know they say no refunds .. and that costs has already been incured ...

like Eddy say settle what must be settled .. and this is my opinion on the left over funds ....

Split it evenly between the charities that they support .. including all the prize money.... AND.. make the amounts public ... it is after all our and sponsors money.

All money goes to charity every year. 50% ppa 50% rotary, both those have community projects that depend on income.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They arrive by post in the July after the event. I've got 4 of these beauties already.

I just hope that money is spent on securing the route next year to prevent protests etc.

The police seemed to think the protesters were a much bigger issue than the wind.

Edited by Pure Savage

There are special insurance products for this type of scenario. I am hopeful that the PPA looks at these for future events.

But honestly, why would they?? We will moan for a month then all enter again next year.... they aren't really at risk here.

Why take an insurance premium that costs money when you can just ignore consumer rights and tell them their refund is in the T&C?

Cycling is really run by some good people. Worldwide it seems.

Amashova and 94.7 are looking mighty attractive rather than the joke of an event the CTCT has become since it was rebranded from The Argus.

Hopefully PnP and Momentum need to address this rather than tipping in piles of cash.

I just hope that money is spent on securing the route next year to prevent protests etc.

The police seemed to think the protesters were a much bigger issue than the wind.

Blind Freddy knows the wind was used as an excuse to avoid the issue of protesters and route changes brought about by those who are/were revolting.

There are tons of trails to choose from to prevent to much overlap if any at all. Would you keep running it in the desert of simonsberg conservancy?

I ride those trails often out of events. They are magic! Reality is that to accommodate 5000 riders, you need somewhere you can spread the field over first half with big climbs and dirt roads (a-la K2C). Oak Valley / Paul Cluver will see 4500 walk the single track and 500 riding it. I would reduce numbers further to no more than 800 riders per distance and totally split the routes and venues, i.e. Do the 55km at Simonsberg, the 40km at TBMTB club, 30km at Paarl and the 15km at Spier.