What to consider when buying a rear light?

Allrounder

Hi guys

I am seriously looking for a very good rear light. I have tried a couple before, but they seem pretty useless during the day. 

Do you know which ones work well? Or what should I look at when buying one?

Do NOT buy one of those with the lasers. Nice idea, but gimmicky. And think about what you want to see on the back of a cyclist when approaching from behind in a car. Bigger and brighter is better. Tiny, lightweight and faint... no so much

Yes had those tiny lightweigt stuff. not working. Think Ill have to punish the credit card and get a decent back light. for the same reasons as Andreas. 

Bontrager Flare R. I just bought one. Check the reviews section

just read a few online reviews, seems I will have to spend that money. as you say, small price for safety.  

I have had a good experience with the Lezyne strip drive - which is plenty bright. There is a pro version which is a retina searing 150 lumens so passing aircraft know where you are.

http://www.lezyne.com/products-led.php

Also usb charged, multiple settings and remembers what you used last. Works well in day and at night. But Cateye are also very good.

Knogg Blinder road.

This! My mate has the Blinder 4 i think its called, damn, that thing is awesome! 

Knogg are great lights but shty construction. Don't buy!

Cat Eye rear lights are awesome! I own one the slips into the Fizik Saddle. Very discrete and battery lasts a long time on flashing mode! 

Blackburn rear lights are awesome! I own a rechargeable for the commuter which needs recharging pretty much every day to insure that it does not stop working mid ride! 

Can only review these three! 

I will drop in a curve ball.

Extreme lights have a rear light for R199 R175. Cant remember.

Works off penlight batteries. It works well. Bright clear and has mutiple modes. The best one is the flashy mode dancing thingy. With it having two sets of "lights" they jump up and down and flash at random.

Have one on the seat post. One on the back pack and one cable tied to the back of the helmet. They weigh next to nothing but are visible from far away. Especially in the flashing mode setting.

Edit:

Here you go:

https://www.extremelights.co.za/product/two-leds-taillight-two-eyes/