Round Chainrings vs Oval Chainrings

Jackson123

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At the end of the day, as with everything else, it all comes down to personal preference.

I have tried Q rings on my road bike and couldn't feel any perceived difference.

I tried an oval ring on my mtb and absolutely hated it.

I much prefer a round ring, but in a similar fashion, many people love and swear by oval rings. *Try it and decide for yourself...

Edited by Schnavel

Please also post the independent study disproving that oval is better? Not attacking here, just genuinely curious

I've tried unpacking how an oval ring works (read: unscientific), and it seems to make sense - allows the chainring to apply more force to the chain during the most powerful part of my pedal-stroke (read: not powerful at all). that's how my brain resolves it, and if that makes me a happier pedaler, then happy me!

I've been using an oval chainring on my mtb for about 2-3 months now.

- Do I feel any major differences?

No, not really that I can say I feel stronger/more efficient.

But I can say that my knees are not taking such strain anymore from climbing.

Maybe this is also due to a placebo effect after hearing about it from a colleague who went to a Physiotherapist workshop on bikefit with Dr Jeroen Swart at Sport Science.

Please also post the independent study disproving that oval is better? Not attacking here, just genuinely curious

Such a study would not exist in science because the premise is based on a perceived outcome - you assume that oval is better.

I make no assumption as to which is better. Round or oval, a 34T chainring is a 34T chainring regardless of its shape. 

Hence the words " placebo", "snake oil", "perceived benefit".

I'm not aware of any independent scientific study that shows significant benefits to oval rings. A few studies allude to lower lactate production but that hasn't been reproducible in further study.

So when someone says "proven benefits" and someone else asks for "show me the independent study" (and therefore peer reviewed), the answer isn't "disprove that it isn't better." I know that's a millennial sort of response but it just reinforces the "snake oil" point of view.

Haven't gone through the whole thread so not sure if it's been discussed but is this anything like the old Shimano Biopace system used in the 80's/90's that was discontinued?

I've tried unpacking how an oval ring works (read: unscientific), and it seems to make sense - allows the chainring to apply more force to the chain during the most powerful part of my pedal-stroke (read: not powerful at all). that's how my brain resolves it, and if that makes me a happier pedaler, then happy me!

I would assume it all comes down to leverage and that makes sense to me. I love Oval rings, definitely make a difference for me, my legs can handle more with them

Haven't gone through the whole thread so not sure if it's been discussed but is this anything like the old Shimano Biopace system used in the 80's/90's that was discontinued?

Similar concept but far more oval than the route shimano went many years ago. Biopace was much more of a gimmick.

I've been riding an oval ring on my MTB now for a few rides and, although not massive, I do prefer it. Seems to give a smoother pedal through the twisty trails and climbs. Haven't noticed a difference on the faster or flatter sections. 

Seems to suit the type of riding I do on the MTB but wouldn't bother putting them on the road bike. 

My unscientific opinion... I tried oval for 9 months and my morning commute starts on Kloof Nek Road. I like it on flat or downhill but on a steep climb it requires constant power throughout the pedal stroke whereas a round ring almost gives you a 'rest' in the dead spot of the pedal stroke which is only highlighted on a long, steep climb.

On the note that oval rings screw up crank based power readings:

I have a Quarq Riken R power meter on my bike with Rotor 53/39t oval rings.

I have done FTP tests on a Wahoo Kick 1 and Kickr 3. For both those test, I also had my Wahoo Elemnt on to measure power from the power meter.

I specifically unpaired the Elemnt from the Kickr each time, so that it would ONLY pick up the power meter reading. Both times they power meter with Q rings was within 1 watt difference, if not on the nail.

On the point of personal preference:

I think I kind of agree. I initially fitted the Q rings just to see what the hype was about. At first I didn't notice any difference when going to the q rings from the round rings that were on the bike originally.

But I figured since there wasn't any negative performance effects, I'd keep them on the bike because I think they look pretty cool.

Then winter came and out came the indoor trainer bike with round rings. All of a sudden, going to back to round rings, I felt a HUGE difference. This could, of course, be for many reasons. I was probably used to the Q rings and adapted my pedal style accordingly.

I now regularly ride both bikes to try and see if there is any performance difference. I definitely feel more comfortable with the Q rings and my legs don't seem to fatigue as quickly. My pedal stroke also feels a lot smoother with the Q rings. But I concede, this could all be in my head or just because of the fact that I have adapted my pedal stroke to Q rings.

In terms of wattage output for perceived level of exertion, I don't really notice a difference.

I found this to be an interesting read:

http://rotorbike.com/why-q/

EDIT: I think the way your Q Rings (specifically) are set up in terms of orientation also makes a huge difference to the performance and/ or comfort you would experience

Edited by Jetstar500

On the note that oval rings screw up crank based power readings:

I have a Quarq Riken R power meter on my bike with Rotor 53/39t oval rings.

I have done FTP tests on a Wahoo Kick 1 and Kickr 3. For both those test, I also had my Wahoo Elemnt on to measure power from the power meter.

I specifically unpaired the Elemnt from the Kickr each time, so that it would ONLY pick up the power meter reading. Both times they power meter with Q rings was within 1 watt difference, if not on the nail.

On the point of personal preference:

I think I kind of agree. I initially fitted the Q rings just to see what the hype was about. At first I didn't notice any difference when going to the q rings from the round rings that were on the bike originally.

But I figured since there wasn't any negative performance effects, I'd keep them on the bike because I think they look pretty cool.

Then winter came and out came the indoor trainer bike with round rings. All of a sudden, going to back to round rings, I felt a HUGE difference. This could, of course, be for many reasons. I was probably used to the Q rings and adapted my pedal style accordingly.

I now regularly ride both bikes to try and see if there is any performance difference. I definitely feel more comfortable with the Q rings and my legs don't seem to fatigue as quickly. My pedal stroke also feels a lot smoother with the Q rings. But I concede, this could all be in my head or just because of the fact that I have adapted my pedal stroke to Q rings.

In terms of wattage output for perceived level of exertion, I don't really notice a difference.

I found this to be an interesting read:

http://rotorbike.com/why-q/

EDIT: I think the way your Q Rings (specifically) are set up in terms of orientation also makes a huge difference to the performance and/ or comfort you would experience

much of what you say is spoken about in the video above

This guys does good research and the articles are available to download.

Edited by DieselnDust

I make no assumption as to which is better. Round or oval, a 34T chainring is a 34T chainring regardless of its shape. 

Eich !! shape has everything to do with it - the distance to the fulcrum changes ALL the time with an oval and that determines the effort needed

Edited by porqui