Round Chainrings vs Oval Chainrings

Jackson123

I would stick to the 50/34 combo on the oval rings.

I used the Rotor Q-rings for a while. What I didnt like was that its a mission to set up, I had the chain drop twice and get stuck between the small ring and frame. Had to remove the cranks to get it out, and it damaged the frame in the process.

Osymetric is another option [this is what Froome rides and not Rotor], these are prices I got a few weeks ago. I might just give it a go again.

50T – R2055

34T – R1665

Contact the guys at info@osymetricsa.co.za

The Osymentric blades arent quite oval....they are Square like an icecream tub  :whistling:

Put a set on a clients S-Works Shiv TT. He seems happy with the power gains and lack of lactic acid.

But as many guys have stated. Its a serious gamble. Its a 50/50 chance it will benefit you  :excl:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would hope your workouts go up by 15/20w in 7months :whistling:

But seriously oval rings skew crank based pm readings. Unless you are using a powertap or smart trainer.

Have you ever ridden on round rings again? That would be the best way to see if there is actually a improvement on power output.

:thumbup:

I noticed those gains immediately.

Now, I am at least 30-40watts over...

Yes, had my normal Ultegra rings on for 2 weeks in December. Had to see if there was a noticeable difference. I did hey, legs felt heavier afterwards & I couldn't sustain my power throughout some of my intervals. I felt a difference.

I use a Power2Max PM.

:thumbup:

I noticed those gains immediately.

Now, I am at least 30-40watts over...

Yes, had my normal Ultegra rings on for 2 weeks in December. Had to see if there was a noticeable difference. I did hey, legs felt heavier afterwards & I couldn't sustain my power throughout some of my intervals. I felt a difference.

I use a Power2Max PM.

Cool man! It's def something that doesn't work for everybody though, I have a mate who got maybe 2 weeks riding done and hated it.

Have you tested the power accuracy on a different pm?

I'm interested to see how much of a difference the power can vary from crank based to hub/smart trainer pm

I have a pair of absolute black rings on the tandem - 53/39 - great rings and they have allowed me to drop the 3rd ring off the crank. (including getting up Spitskop and  Long Tom and in Mpumalanga).

I would be tempted to go for the bigger rings, especially if you feel your current rings are holding you back. Does Vereeniging even have hills?

:w00t: LOL! Although Silo Hill is the "best" we have to offer...at least we have Suikerbosrand just around the corner! :clap: and that's where most of my training gets done! :thumbup:

Cool man! It's def something that doesn't work for everybody though, I have a mate who got maybe 2 weeks riding done and hated it.

Have you tested the power accuracy on a different pm?

I'm interested to see how much of a difference the power can vary from crank based to hub/smart trainer pm

You're right!

Works for some, NOT for others...

No, I just transfer my Unit to the other ring.

So , I know before & after is with the same unit.

What Oval rings did your mate ride?

Because those OCP settings on the rotor make a huge difference to comfort & feel...

Position 3 is perfect for me!

http://rotorbike.com/how-to-set-your-optimum-chainring-position-ocp/

• 1 year later...

I went for my first ride with a 1x11 setup with 32 oval upfront and the long steady climbs did feel beter, forget abou science, to me it felt beter.This was on my MTB

Then it's all that matters really

• 2 months later...

My 5 cents worth.  :ph34r:

I  hate hills - can't climb at anything but 'slow' :unsure: .

Fitted a 32 Rapide Oval to my 2016 Trek Stache 5 - solid forks.

:clap: Suddenly feels like a rocket assist - climbs much faster and easier on the legs.

Ride home down chit-chat road into head wind on Saturday should have had me  :eek: cramping that afternoon - nothing, not a hint. Legs felt 100 times better than ever before.

I'm now looking at switching the Anthem to 1 X, so I can have oval there too. :thumbup:

Oval = placebo,..snake oil. lowers your cadence, twists spider or crank arm differently so weird power readings

Round = better chain retention, better longevity, more consistent power readings if using a power meter

Oval = placebo,..snake oil. lowers your cadence, twists spider or crank arm differently so weird power readings

Round = better chain retention, better longevity, more consistent power readings if using a power meter

Thing is the placebo effect has been proved to work.