Question : single speed chain - when to change?

Greg78

Or Change it the morning after the recovery from smacking your nuts on the top tube, it means your chain broke  :blink:

Both times my SS chains snapped was just after they had been replaced.The mechanic had not inserted the pin properly

Luckily toptube hit inside of my leg.

Both times my SS chains snapped was just after they had been replaced.The mechanic had not inserted the pin properly

Luckily toptube hit inside of my leg.

I dont trust those press-in pins, had countless issues with them, I'm not good enough of a mechanic.

Quicklink for the win.

Edited by RocknRolla

Honestly, for the price of an XT 10 speed cassette, you can buy a SS chainring, rear cog and a chain.

I understand the rationale behind checking a chain before it damages a R1500+ cassette and affects the shifting, but neither apply to SS.

Ride it until it fails spectacularly, then replace the whole shebang..........

Oh, and quicklinks rule, but they also fail spectacularly when worn.

Edited by Flippa

Honestly, for the price of an XT 10 speed cassette, you can buy a SS chainring, rear cog and a chain.

I understand the rationale behind checking a chain before it damages a R1500+ cassette and affects the shifting, but neither apply to SS.

Ride it until it fails spectacularly, then replace the whole shebang..........

Oh, and quicklinks rule, but they also fail spectacularly when worn.

Struggle to see your logic!? Then you have to replace the whole ''shebang'', AND go for surgery :cursing:

Waaaaay cheaper replacing at 0.75 ;)

Struggle to see your logic!? Then you have to replace the whole ''shebang'', AND go for surgery :cursing:

Waaaaay cheaper replacing at 0.75 ;)

OK, 'cos it's Friday and I'm only an honorary singlespeeder.......

Please explain this 0.75 thing to me? How does one measure it?

The mythical chain wear tool....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only a real cyclist can measure it. And also, if you are not measuring your own chain it will be impossible. Chains only let the one who makes them spin round measure them.

Now, stick your pinkie between one of the links, and judging by the impressions-yes, impressions, not grease marks-real cyclists' chains are never dirty-the velominatus can see whether the chain is at 25, 50, and 75% wear, and whether or not it should be replaced.

My SS's rear wheel moved back nearly a whole cm till there was no more adjustment left. the chain started to drop from every little bump in the road(i do not have a chain tensioner). Replaced only the chain and used the same cog and chain ring. No problems at all.

Truly a cheap and cheerful way to cycle. My rear cog was taken from a old 9 speed mtb cluster that did 5000km!

Edited by Breezer

• 4 months later...

My SS's rear wheel moved back nearly a whole cm till there was no more adjustment left. the chain started to drop from every little bump in the road(i do not have a chain tensioner). Replaced only the chain and used the same cog and chain ring. No problems at all.

Truly a cheap and cheerful way to cycle. My rear cog was taken from a old 9 speed mtb cluster that did 5000km!

Slightly off topic, but did you have any issues with the single rear cog cutting into the freehub body?

Only a real cyclist can measure it. And also, if you are not measuring your own chain it will be impossible. Chains only let the one who makes them spin round measure them.

Now, stick your pinkie between one of the links, and judging by the impressions-yes, impressions, not grease marks-real cyclists' chains are never dirty-the velominatus can see whether the chain is at 25, 50, and 75% wear, and whether or not it should be replaced.

Ooohhhkay.... so that's how you do it.

I just wait until mine falls off after every free-wheel then replace it. Much less mud to understand.

Slightly off topic, but did you have any issues with the single rear cog cutting into the freehub body?

Nope, i have a steel body.