Paint removal for respray

berg_fiets

Hi Hubbers.

Busy with a vintage MTB refurb. Paintwork is a bit shot and rusted here and there. Want to have the frame resprayed.

Any suggestions on paint removal? Thinking of just taking it for sandblasting or just good old paint stripper and water paper. Anyone with some experience here?

Thanks!

5f0e525404330bdae9027fd079729512.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Hubbers.

Busy with a vintage MTB refurb. Paintwork is a bit shot and rusted here and there. Want to have the frame resprayed.

Any suggestions on paint removal? Thinking of just taking it for sandblasting or just good old paint stripper and water paper. Anyone with some experience here?

Thanks!

5f0e525404330bdae9027fd079729512.jpg

Try www.carbonbikerepair.co.uk  upload your pic, ask questions, and although they are UK based they will no doubt give you quality advise.  May even be worth shipping the frame to them, they are UK's leading carbon repair and restore workshop.

Try www.carbonbikerepair.co.uk  upload your pic, ask questions, and although they are UK based they will no doubt give you quality advise.  May even be worth shipping the frame to them, they are UK's leading carbon repair and restore workshop.

It's rusted chap. What has carbon got to do with rust.

Your advice sucks in my humble opinion.

OP, rather send it to BogusOne in Cape Town and let him strip and paint for you.

Last one I did a hubber acid dipped it for me. Cleans rust off too but has to be treated quickly to prevent rusting again - which means stripping oil off before painting.

You could try using a grinding cup on a small angle grinder - just wear eye protection.

It's rusted chap. What has carbon got to do with rust.

Your advice sucks in my humble opinion.

OP, rather send it to BogusOne in Cape Town and let him strip and paint for you.

Yep Bogus is the way to go...

It will look like new...

Sorry to hijack, but what would be a ball park figure to respray/redecal this type of frame to standard (as is) colours. I have a refurb coming up and want to be prepared.

OP, good luck with your project????

Plascon RemoVal works great - but follow the instructions.

With sandblasting the finish is quite rough and then it is difficult to get a shiny paint finish.

Sodablast would leave a smoother finish

nut shell blasting.  softer than sandblasting and still removes everything.  Sand the really crappy rust cancers.

I had my frame and cranks blasted and coated at a place in Stikland. I found that for my requirements the cycling places were taking the piss. Guess it depends on the finish you are looking for and how much you intend to spend. Im happy with the result for R600 all inclusive.

post-72594-0-47711400-1490690320_thumb.jpg

post-72594-0-33817300-1490690352_thumb.jpg

Watch out with sandblasting. In the wrong hands, a sand blasting gun can be very dangerous... I have heard of 2 frames that were scrapped as a result of bad sandblasting. My local powder coater won't sandblast any bicycle frames again.

That Plascon Removeall is the business. Takes a bit longer than most but it's worth the wait.

Glitterama in Salt River do a chemical strip, otherwise Cape Paint & Panel do a 2k paint stripper that's as good, just more effort from your side.

Archived