chainreaction cycles

Imad

That has bugger-all to do with the exchange rate charged by CRC.

CRC doesn't set the exchange rate

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like previously mentioned there is a bid(buy) and offer(sell) rate for cross currency transactions. You get charged the offer rate, which is the higher of the two. The bank will always offer you less to buy back currency than what it is willing to sell you cross currency. That is due to quite a number of factors...

On top of the FX rate, your bank will charge you a transaction fee for cross currency transactions. That has to do with visa and mastercard and not neccesarily the bank you bank with.

CRC is not linked to a live exchange and they do not determine the FX rate. Their website is linked to some input table which gets updated on a periodic basis(not sure how frequently they update). The ZAR price you see on CRC is thus an estimation for that component.

When you place an order they charge your credit card in pounds. The bank will then do the currency part based on current market factors which comes through your statement. 

To get a more accurate price, use the pound price, subtract the VAT(20%) and calculate the ZAR price using up to date market information.

I ordered on Monday morning 10/4/2017, and the price displayed on my shopping cart was R200 less than what went through my card. As said above, the rates are set by your credit card's bank: in my case, it was the average of the 90 day Bank buy/sell rate, but I still saved mucho dineiro vs buying locally!

And the parcel will be delivered this afternoon  :clap:

It's incredible how the CRC team can keep such a slick logistic machine running continuously, when our local online stores always seem to have glitches, and then point fingers in every direction possible!

I got blown away Monday, 2 min away from home someone from SAPO phoned me, saying he is at the Meyersdal office, on the way to Brackenhurst office, and he has my package, where would I want to pick it up... Now the package only got to Customs on Sunday morning, was even cleared Sunday, and released to delivery depot by late Sunday night.

When I got to the post office and asked for the guy, the ladies behind the counter did not know what I was talking about, so phoned him back, he was waiting outside for me.

was like WTF, huh, no way, with a big Grin.

G

placed my order on the 27th dec 2016 got it 3rd Jan 2017 DHL

The oke from DHL just dropped off my goeters! What a man, and what incredible service :)

Now to go hunt for high tensile M5X15 cap screws on the long weekend!

• 2 weeks later...

Just used the DHL option for a chain reaction order, not so happy with them. They waited for me to contact them about the customs invoice (6 days wasted), then added R150 disbursement fee. I thought I had already paid them for door to door shipping. I may as well have bought these Deore brakes locally. Ended up costing me R2100.

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered some rotors, a pump, 180mm adapter, bar end plugs, etc. Small stuff that accumulated in my basket until it was enough to cover free shipping.

I was now charged 15% import duties on this CRC order. i paid it at SAPO. Its not a big amount but i was wondering in future, can you contest the assessment or what do you do if you see it is wrong?

I ordered some rotors, a pump, 180mm adapter, bar end plugs, etc. Small stuff that accumulated in my basket until it was enough to cover free shipping.

I was now charged 15% import duties on this CRC order. i paid it at SAPO. Its not a big amount but i was wondering in future, can you contest the assessment or what do you do if you see it is wrong?

Any items that could be seen as clothing and textiles? 

Did you pay duties and VAT?

Any items that could be seen as clothing and textiles? 

Not a single one. An 11spd chain and a chainstay protector. That's now the whole list.

That's not duties. It's VAT. Unless that's what you paid over and above the 15.4% that you end up paying for VAT.

Edited by Myles Mayhew

That's not duties. It's VAT. Unless that's what you paid over and above the 15.4% that you end up paying for VAT.

Thanks, Ferro. That's much clearer...

And it is strange! If you contest it, though, the goods have to go back to Customs for an inspection and re-rating. So unfortunately it's in your best interests to *** en betaal. Unfortunately. 

The appeals process is, IMO, deliberately opaque and laborious. 

Sorry. I cut off the Tariff Heading Code.

It is 8712.00.10 - Bicycles

That's why! 

It should be bicycle spares. You've been charged as if it was a complete bike. And someone in Customs is being a gigantic tit for charging you as such.