Durability of various 11spd mtb cassettes

Rapunzel

I'm soon going to need to replace my worn cassette. What is the difference in durability between Shimano M7000 (482g) and Sunrace Rapide MX8 (404g)?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure what other people's opinions are but I've come to realize the heaver the part the longer it lasts. 

This is not always the case but i see it as the general rule of thumb when it comes to groupset components.

Cassette wear is caused by a worn chain. If you change your chain before it wears out your cassette will last far longer - if you let your chain wear out you could make your cassette from diamond and it would still wear.

Rapunzel, I am using the Sunrace MX8 cassette for the last year or so. Been using it with two chains that I rotate, and to date, there is no wear on it that I can see.

Done just on 2500km with it. 

I agree with most comments above. invest in good chain and chain checker. Clean chain clean and lubed and cassette should last long

My 2 cents....

Had the new M8000 XT 42-11, that lasted around 3000 kms, replaced that with XT 40-11 and that lasted 900 kms. I get my bike serviced religiously, so chains replaced as required.

The wear on  the cassettes is purely on the alu rings, the rest are ok.

Have switched to a an all steel Sunrace 42-11, unfortunately have only done around 150 kays on it, but so far it hasn't given any issues.

Tom

The OP seems to be more interested in Shimano related 11-Speed Cassettes, but as a side note SRAM XX1 11-Spd cassettes  are bullet proof. Keep the chain and blade fresh and i reckon it will do 3000km, I wouldn't bother with 3rd party cassettes. On the blade front i might, but havent yet.

You cannot rely on service intervals for chain wear. Check it yourself once every 100km or so. Parktool has an updated chain-wear checking tool that is longer than the old models and offers a 0.5% measure. Or take it off and measure the length. As an example I was riding my last XX1 chain for over 1500km without reaching 0.5% measurable stretch. And then I reached 0.5% on a new XX1 chain just during 650km EPIC. River crossings and dusty/sandy trails thereafter are chainkillers, and during a race you don't stop to avoid this kind of stuff...

And as Andrew said. Replace your chain in time and your cassette will last a very long time...

The OP seems to be more interested in Shimano related 11-Speed Cassettes, but as a side note SRAM XX1 11-Spd cassettes  are bullet proof. Keep the chain and blade fresh and i reckon it will do 3000km, I wouldn't bother with 3rd party cassettes. On the blade front i might, but havent yet.

I have almost 6000km on my X01 cassette at the moment. Still accepting new chains without problems. At this stage I cannot say how long it will go...:)

youll get a lot more than 3000 kms out of a sram cassette 

Considering how much you pay I bloody hope you get more than 3000km with an XX1 cassette!!

Running cost on cassette alone over R1/km..

My XO1 cassette has 3200 km on now and still looks fine. Bought a replacement a while ago off ebay but it seems it's going to stay on the shelf for while still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sram x1 currently 5400 km on , 

have 2 chains , rotating after every week

always keep the drive train clean and it will last 

So what cassettes are full steel ?

I want to upgrade soon but I see the top cog on the slx cassette is Alu , being A lazy fart I will most likely use that a lot and wear it out quick while the rest of the cassette is fine.

I'm A little weary of sunrace as i hear they Fuc# up chains 

I currently have the SunRace 11-42 cassette and have done 1455 km according to the Strava gods.

So far all good. Have so far had 2 or 3 chains on it and it has been flawless.

My XT M8000 cassette had about 2500km on it and the 11t and next up cog started slipping under power. That had 3 chains over the life with proper cleaning.

So...will the SunRace last as long? I reckon so.

Does it look cooler...? Yes...it's important :P

Is it like 60% of the price...? Yes

Should I replace chains more frequently? Probably a Yes Droo ;)

I'd Get the SunRace 11-46 at present though and not the 11-42. You can play a little more with the front ring then too if you're feeling strong.

I currently have the SunRace 11-42 cassette and have done 1455 km according to the Strava gods.

So far all good. Have so far had 2 or 3 chains on it and it has been flawless.

Should I replace chains more frequently? Probably a Yes Droo ;)

Whaaat? A new chain every ~500 km? Do you use grinding paste for lube? :eek: At that rate you're are spending more on replacing chains than cassettes. 

Archived