Reincarnated Cyclist

FrikkieMeyer87

Hi guys!

Yet another noob here! :D

Here's the exact series of events that led to this post:

With 30 approaching rapidly and the distance from my third chin to the ground growing ever smaller, I decided that I should probably start getting a little more active outside of the current effort required to get up from the couch and fetching another beer, and as I'm not much of a runner and a self-diagnosed gadgetophile, I thought I should give cycling another go. I, like many others, used to cycle to school on a daily basis, and back then it sucked a little because it was the ONLY means to an end. And it was to school. It wouldn't have helped if I could take a Ferrarri there. But I digress. The point is, it's infinitely more fun when you get to A: choose when you feel like riding and B: taking your bike to places where it's fun to ride rather than just cruising in the subs.

I mentioned to a friend in passing that I was thinking of getting (back?) into cycling, to which he replied that through a series of fortunate events, he had a bicycle that I could have for freee! Gratis! Granted it's not a unicorn, but it's also free. And free trumps unicorn, every time.

I however quickly realized that cycling has changed quite substantially since the last time I was on a bike, and the bar of what was considered "entry level" has risen to the point where it was barely visible from where I was standing. Along with the bar of awesomeness.

And so I turn to you, the community of knowers-of-things. Teach me your ways.

That is all :D

bikes have evolved a **** tonne.

but the core stays the same.

your legs go round, and that makes the wheels go round, the air rushing against your face makes you smile, you puff, you pant and you sweat.

Just ride your free bike and enjoy it for what it is for now, when you have specific questions come search on here, and post if you cant find the answer.

Well done on getting off your ass, and welcome to a sore ass. 

Edited by Gravity

Im going to give you one very good piece of advice I wish I was given at the start...

Get a *good* pair of cycling shorts.

When you are a kid you can sit on a piece of wood for a saddle and it will be fine, not quite the case when you get older.

Im going to give you one very good piece of advice I wish I was given at the start...

Get a *good* pair of cycling shorts.

When you are a kid you can sit on a piece of wood for a saddle and it will be fine, not quite the case when you get older.

and a comfortable saddle

Thanks for all the feedback guys! Just got back from a 3km ride and I'm pooped lol

The pedals on this bike is meant for cleats, which I obviously don't have so I'm trapping with a tekkie straight on those badboys. Not so lekker. I need a set of those combo pedals which I can tekkie for now, then just flip them over to cleat mode when I eventually get a set. And I need to get a computer. And yes, perhaps a proper seat and shorts hehehe ????

Thanks for all the feedback guys! Just got back from a 3km ride and I'm pooped lol

The pedals on this bike is meant for cleats, which I obviously don't have so I'm trapping with a tekkie straight on those badboys. Not so lekker. I need a set of those combo pedals which I can tekkie for now, then just flip them over to cleat mode when I eventually get a set. And I need to get a computer. And yes, perhaps a proper seat and shorts hehehe ????

cheaper to swap the pedals to flat ones - go talk to your local bike shop - maybe they have a pair of plastic flats most high end bikes are delivered with - should cost you less than 100 fokolas...

Try push through the first few 3 weeks. Everything will feel *** in the beginning , but then it'll get better and the enjoyment will return

The first 1000km hurts... after that it just gets faster and still hurts...

cheaper to swap the pedals to flat ones - go talk to your local bike shop - maybe they have a pair of plastic flats most high end bikes are delivered with - should cost you less than 100 fokolas...

I went to CWC the day I got it to see if they had something, but their options were limited to the Shimano XT ones that I really want, and those el-cheapo plastic ones you get with bikes sold at Checkers, which break off after 5km if you trap it hard once or twice :D

Try push through the first few 3 weeks. Everything will feel *** in the beginning , but then it'll get better and the enjoyment will return

What I'm trying at the moment is to just keep track of my rides, however short they may be, and try and go a little further every day. We've got a nice and quiet neighbourhood with long blocks and loads of shade, so when I get home in the afternoons I zigzag through those until I'm spent. I'm getting a cycle computer this afternoon so I can actually visually track my rides rather than just turning Strava on and chucking my phone in my pocket/backpack, though I'll probably still use Strava for the GPS functionality which the comp will obviously lack. I would have liked to get a Garmin Edge or something, but I don't want to be that "All the gear, no career" guy. I'm just grabbing up secondhand stuff for now until I really get into it. Also don't have a helmet yet, which I hear is probably not the best idea :P But all in good time!

The first 1000km hurts... after that it just gets faster and still hurts...

BS,

Dont believe this guy, he is some sort of a quack

In the immortal words of Lemond - " It never stops hurting - you just go faster".

You need that helmet ASAP, before the computer and pedals and seat and and...........

Yeah for sure, I saw someone was selling an XL Fox helmet for R400 or something in the classifieds, right size and everything. Need to revisit that ad haha :P